Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Glenbridge Publishing

practical experience, FTW LloydBrown's Avatar

Glenbridge Publishing

I checked a couple of their titles at random on Amazon and they all have 1,000,000+ rankings. Does anybody have any feedback on this company's reputation?
    Lloyd Brown
    www.lloydwrites.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.glenbridgepublishing.com/.../aboutus.shtml

Never heard of them, but looks to be POD. Certainly has all the "we'll give you a chance" language. $23 bucks for a paperback (!). Sure, they'll discount 20% if you buy straight from them, but then it's $3 for shipping....

I'd pass.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar
    I have recently submitted a manuscript to Glenbridge Publishing. I found that they are listed in the Writers Market have been in business for some time. I asked a manager of a book store about them and she told me they had many books out and many hard cover. I don't know that they are a POD I don't think so. I'll soon find out. They were recomended to me by the producer of a national radio show I was a guest on.

Jennifer Robins

Gone
    It is generally a better idea to research publishers before submitting to them than after--but better to research after submission but before signing a contract than after signing. Let us know what you find out, Jennifer. It would be good to have more information on this publisher.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

jenrob

The reason I don't believe they are a POD is from the info in the Writers Market. they only put out about 8-10 books a year(as of the 2003 edition) and I think POD publishers like PA put out much more than that. Most of their books are in hard cover. There are a few with ranking numbers under 1.000,000. Don't worry, I'm not about to make another mistake. I'll see what they have to offer, that is if they want to put my novel out.

Jennifer Robins

Gone
    Ah, I see your reasoning. Keep in mind, though, that "POD" and "vanity press" are different things (though many vanity presses are POD). You may be interested in checking out the explanations on Writer Beware.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

practical experience, FTW
    Of the approximately 500,000 manuscripts each year in search of a publisher, fewer than ten percent find their way into print.
    Does this mean around or less than 50,000 get published through them? Am I reading that wrong?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Remember that this isn't a lottery; the results aren't determined by luck.

If you've written a terrible manuscript it isn't going to get bought no matter how many times you send it out.

practical experience, FTW LloydBrown's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    Remember that this isn't a lottery; the results aren't determined by luck.

If you've written a terrible manuscript it isn't going to get bought no matter how many times you send it out.
    And in the end, they form-lettered me anyway.

I'm about to give up on my shopping around and go with the bird in the hand.

It has been somewhat disappointing to fail to sell this book on which I know so much and have something of a platform already as opposed to the idle curiosity that got so much publisher attention a few years ago.
    Lloyd Brown
    www.lloydwrites.com

jenrob

I heard from Glenbridge Publishing today and they are not going with my book. So..........back to the list. I still don't know much more about them from what I said before. At least I know they are not taking just anything like PA does.

Jennifer Robins

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: