The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Display Site] Authorlink / WritersEducation

Desola

[Display Site] Authorlink / WritersEducation

What exactly is Authorlink.com? I met Ms. Booth at a conference and she asked me to send her a partial but when from the website, I can't figure out if she actually agents or publishes books, or just does some sort of online marketing.
    Anyone have dealings with her?
    Thanks.
    Desola

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar

No dealings

Doris Booth : Ms. Booth is manager of Authorlink Literary Group, which operates as a separate division of Authorlink.com. The agency represents true crime, romance, thrillers, mysteries, women's fiction, and a wide range of nonfiction. Among recent sales have been hardcover rights to Barnes & Noble Publishing for THE ONLY LIVING WITNESS and TED BUNDY: CONVERSATIONS WITH A KILLER, by New York Times bestselling authors Stephen G. Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth, and CRIMINAL SHADOWS, THE INNER NARRATIVES OF EVIL by David Canter. She has also recently negotiated licensing rights with Crime Library/Time Warner, and Optomen Productions for The Discovery Channel, and in Europe with World of Wonder television productions of London. As the CEO of Authorlink.com, Ms. Booth has facilitated the sale of 89 fiction and nonfiction properties within the past five years, including a recent six-figure deal to HarperCollins. She has overseen direct sales to Simon & Schuster, John Wiley & Sons, McGraw-Hill, Barnes & Noble Publishing and others . In her dual role as Authorlink CEO and as manager of the Literary Group, Ms. Booth has close ties with a broad range of editors and publishers, primarily in New York. Authorlink.com is the news, information, and marketing site for editors, agents and writers, attracting nearly one million visitors per year. Ms. Booth serves as the site's editor-in-chief.

The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.authorlink.com/what_we_do.html

Authorlink purports to be a writers' commune, offering myriad services, some on subscription. Efficacy and necessity are arguable, and there seem to be many conflicts of interest. And amusing lapses in logic, IMHO.

"Authorlink Press (our own publishing imprint) is a traditional publisher, not an eBook publisher."
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

a work in progress

twitch

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorLink (via CaoPaux)
    Authorlink Press (our own publishing imprint) is a traditional publisher, not an eBook publisher.
    's it just me, or do y'all get a little twitchy at the term "traditional publisher" these days, too? Like maybe it's just code for "Not vanity publishing! Promise! No no no really! (...psst. Bob. Do ya think they believed us?)" "What wuzzat, Joe? Can't hear ya over the slush-printing machine."

And it's not like legit commerical publishers can't be eBook publishers. I mean, look at Ellora's Cave. Didn't they start out as just eBook? Legit as they come.
    Nicole J. LeBoeuf-Little (Niki)

Author, occasionally published. Watch this space for more, or visit the amazing actually writing blog. (It actually writes!)

'zactly. To me that says they not only don't know better than to use "traditional", but they're confused on what a commercial publisher is.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleJLeBoeuf
    's it just me, or do y'all get a little twitchy at the term "traditional publisher" these days, too? Like maybe it's just code for "Not vanity publishing! Promise! No no no really! (...psst. Bob. Do ya think they believed us?)" "What wuzzat, Joe? Can't hear ya over the slush-printing machine."
    Yup. "Traditional publisher" is a meaningless term.

Authorlink is primarily a manuscript display site.

- Victoria

a work in progress
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
    Authorlink is primarily a manuscript display site.
    ...and therefore bloody useless. Indeed.

I think the Zirdland thread is still around here somewhere, in case anyone wants to read why display sites are bloody useless. I'm sure there are many, many discussions about YADS, but that's the one that comes to mind first.
    Nicole J. LeBoeuf-Little (Niki)

Author, occasionally published. Watch this space for more, or visit the amazing actually writing blog. (It actually writes!)

figuring it all out
    I got pointed here by another thread, and became curious. Writer Beware's description of manuscript display sites was tepid but not entirely negative, and seemed to suggest that for what it was worth, Authorlink was one of the better ones. I had expected a flat-out bashing, and a recommendation to stay far, far away. Has anyone here had success with such sites?

Just curious. This is not high on my list of Things to Try.

Display sites are useless. Worse than useless when they require payment. Worse than worse than useless when you're pegged as a mark ready for fleecing by all the sharks out there.

Go to one of the display sites and read a few of the offerings that are on display for agents and editors and you'll immediately see why this sort of thing would never, ever work.

No respectable agent or editor is going to surf a giant website'o'slush in search of a pearl when they have their own slush to deal with. But you'll definitely be hearing from someone who just loves your work, if only you'll pay just a little to have it edited...
    #

Nothing’s inherently wrong with telling; nothing’s inherently wrong with showing. . . .
    When Picasso paints a canvas using only blue, you can still tell that he knows what he’s doing with color. When I paint a canvas using only blue, you will be quite certain from the result that it’s because I have no clue what to do with red or yellow—and you won’t be too sure I’ve got a grip on blue, either. Learn all the colors; then choose whichever seems right at the moment. Master the whole craft. ~ Keith Snyder

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Thumbs down I'm sort of surprised that they're still in business, too bad

I joined this group specifically so that I could add my comment to soloset's 07-12-2006 comment. Quote: "Worse than worse than useless when you're pegged as a mark ready for fleecing by all the sharks out there." So very true.

Once upon a time (2001-2002) I had my first children's book listed on the site. I was relatively clueless about the publishing business at that time, but even though I didn't know then what I know now, the idea of lit. agents or publishers going to a web site to prowl for new books seemed a bit far-fetched, but I took the chance anyway. After-all what could I lose?...My temper, that's what I lost, TWICE!

Twice I was marked for easy fleecing by two Authorlink.com recommendations. Mind you, Authorlink.com specifically stated at that time that they thoroughly checked the credentials of their lit. agents. NOT. Both of the lit. agents that Authorlink refered my book to were scam artist. In fact, one of the 'lit. agencies' is still listed on the "What People Say" link. I fought tooth and nail to convince Authorlink.com that the 'agency' was not what it claimed to be, thank God for the internet. Within 2 weeks of my battle to prove (my word against the 'agency') the 'agency' folded due to back pain issues of the owner!
    Last edited by dbanks22; 02-06-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: punctuation

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Trolling by scammers is a common problem with display sites.

- Victoria

Benefactor Member
    Thanks for the warnings, which I caught in time to avoid signing up. That reputable agents would supposedly regularly browse a posting site sounded a bit much. Presuming it's the same "Authorlink" it's interesting that major publisher Simon & Schuster mentions "Authorlink" as a "great source for information."

http://www.simonsays.com/content/fea...eature_id=1627

But their courses and articles require paid membership (and sometimes further fees) to access. Wonder how she got S & S to give her site honorable mention.

practical experience, FTW
    Authorlink not only got a pat on the back from Simon & Schuster, but WW Norton which I always thought would be independent of such, since they're owned by their employees not a comglomerate--as I understand it.

I guess we writers aren't the only ones open to people who "make nice."

Scary. And makes me for one even more grateful to this forum! And Editors and Preditors.
    Still alive

practical experience, FTW
    Yes Yes. I too found Autorlink in Guide to editors, publishers and angents and came straight here. Thanks to this site I will be saving my $180 for something else.

New arm, WritersEducation: http://www.writerseducation.com/home-page
    ICAO
    ---------

Authorlink?

Any feed back on Authorlink good or bad?

Thank you...

Ocean

Thanks! Will gladly be saving my money.......but if this is the case, where does one start promoting their book? I've sent my queries to a few Canadian publishers so far.
    I really am stuck at this point. Not sure where to turn, it's kind of like getting all dolled up and ready to take the trip....but the boat isn't coming....Did I miss the darn thing?.....lol

Ocean

Maybe I'll just fly.....

Updating URL: http://authorlink.com/

Has dropped the download-a-short story/excerpt sections (StoryWire, ThrillerWire, et al.).

Mid-'12, WritersEducation's home page changed to
    WritersEducation.com

Sorry, we're offline for a while. We're creating an all new, exciting venue.

Check back with us in September 2012
    ... but has not returned.
    ICAO
    ---------