• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mojo Marketing, Inc.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time no e-talk...

I came across this post on craigslist (Mods, can I link it?) for an intimacy advice writer.

I replied and got an auto response (from an email address at a website that doesn't exist or match the site I found) asking me to prove I can follow directions by sending my resume and cover letter via FedEx to a guy.

I thought that was a bit odd so I googled a bit and found (thought it was pretty had to find) their site: http://mojomarketingsite.com/#mainbody

The address for their office and the address I'm to send my resume are in the same city, but different...

The phone number on the site give me a recording for google voice saying it's trying to reach "Eric." Eric is the person who requested the resume but isn't mentioned on the site.

I can forward you the email in confidence (r you can reply to the add and the the auto reply) but don't feel it's right to post it in the forum.

Am I being paranoid? Anyone heard of Mojo Marketing, Inc?

It sounds like a good opportunity if it's real, and pays, and doesn't require too much hoop jumping...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For a company that present themselves as so successful they have a small digital footprint and a fairly ugly website.

Alice Xavier

some goon from the internet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alicexavier.com
It sounds like a good opportunity if it's real, and pays, and doesn't require too much hoop jumping...

How on earth is Fed-Exing a resume to an address given to you in a cryptic auto response from a sketchy email address, having to dig around yourself to just figure out the identity of this marketing firm (which has a different address from the one in the autoresponder..), and dealing with a Google Voice number that doesn't lead where you think it would lead is not too much hoop jumping? It's just one red flag after another.

I wouldn't ever give my info, much less physically ship my info, to an address provided by a Craigslist ad where the contact is attached to an auto-responder that asked me to "prove I could follow directions". Seems like a way to filter and harvest leads from susceptible people who'd be more inclined to pay for rip-off marketing "services".

Oh, also, their domain has "site" in it. Something about that doesn't sit right, especially when there appears to be a number of more legit-looking marketing/media firms with "Mojo" in their names.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree. Just needed to hear it from another person to confirm that it's as sketchy as it seems as opposed to someone being anal. I mean, who need FedEx for a telecommuting writer....?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It strikes me as bizarre that they would not accept it via email. I might overlook that for a reputable company--but this one has no discernible reputation.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I totally agree. Just needed to hear it from another person to confirm that it's as sketchy as it seems as opposed to someone being anal. I mean, who need FedEx for a telecommuting writer....?

I'm a paranoid S.O.B., but to me that doesn't even sound like a writing gig. It sounds like reshipping, as in counterfeit goods.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or the starting scenario of a story in which some innocent shnook answers the wrong ad and gets involved with spies or the Mob.