eBooks Antitrust Settlement Information

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I noticed that whenever the settlement was discussed on Publishers Weekly, there were many authors (and some smaller publishers IIRC) who were extremely critical of the whole thing. I mean beyond the whole "Amazon is evil" debate, which just goes around in circles anyway. ("Yes they are!" "Are not!" "Are to!" "Apple is eviler!" etc.)

First, they scoffed at the tiny amount per book. I don't think they understand just how many ebooks many people have been buying. Sure, 73 cents a book isn't much, but if you buy a lot of books, it does add up. Nice way for them to show that they understand their customers. :tongue I posted on some of those discussions but felt the readers were being completely ignored. That's OK, I hadn't heard of most of the writers in those discussion. A writer's worst enemy is obscurity -- not Amazon, not Apple, not eBooks.

Also, one criticism they had was that the settlement money could have been used to acquire new authors who might not get a chance now. Well, some might think the authors could have avoided the lawyers fees, settlement payouts, etc. by not getting into agency pricing. Also, what do they think the readers (you know, their customers) are going to do with that money? Buy more books of course. Duh.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I got my email this morning, getting back 27.99. Yay, time to buy more books. :D I didn't think I'd be getting that much back even though I do read ebooks pretty much exclusively these days. Now if they could just send me some extra free time...