Examples of least days of effort--slacker fantasy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
The opposite of those who write 15 hour a day; the opposite of those who write 365 days a year.
The ideal candidate for this thread is someone who wrote a super-duper novella or a screenplay over a weekend and has been vacationing ever since. Promotion hassle doesn't count--only the act of creating the story.

I'll start:

John Saul--the third most successful horror/suspense writer in the world after King and Koontz. Focused bursts of work allow for up to ten months a year of slow collection of ideas for the next project.
Source: I generally spend about four hours a day at the word processor. And it takes me about two months to write a full-length novel. but of course it takes a year to think up a good idea!

Ian Fleming--wrote James Bond novels over winter weeks in a Jamaica beach house (the Goldeneye, natch), at 3-4 h a day, swimming and napping in the remaining hours.
Source: And for the next many years, Ian would continue to follow this elaborate, yet simple, writing schedule and complete a new Bond novel at Goldeneye each winter

Lee Child--the most protestant of the three--the yearly novel takes him half a year at around 6h a day--only half a year left to chill completely.
Source: I write in the afternoon, from about 12 until 6 or 7. I use an upstairs room as my office. Once I get going I keep at it, and it usually takes about six months from the first blank screen until "The End."

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
The question is, do they mean 'complete' as in first draft, or final edit?

I can write a novel in two months (certainly a James Bond length one) but the editing takes longer than the first writing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The opposite of those who write 15 hour a day; the opposite of those who write 365 days a year.
The ideal candidate for this thread is someone who wrote a super-duper novella or a screenplay over a weekend and has been vacationing ever since. Promotion hassle doesn't count--only the act of creating the story.

I'll start:

John Saul--the third most successful horror/suspense writer in the world after King and Koontz. Focused bursts of work allow for up to ten months a year of slow collection of ideas for the next project.
Source: I generally spend about four hours a day at the word processor. And it takes me about two months to write a full-length novel. but of course it takes a year to think up a good idea!

Ian Fleming--wrote James Bond novels over winter weeks in a Jamaica beach house (the Goldeneye, natch), at 3-4 h a day, swimming and napping in the remaining hours.
Source: And for the next many years, Ian would continue to follow this elaborate, yet simple, writing schedule and complete a new Bond novel at Goldeneye each winter

Lee Child--the most protestant of the three--the yearly novel takes him half a year at around 6h a day--only half a year left to chill completely.
Source: I write in the afternoon, from about 12 until 6 or 7. I use an upstairs room as my office. Once I get going I keep at it, and it usually takes about six months from the first blank screen until "The End."

I would take those timelines too seriously. I don't know much about John Saul, other than he also writes plays, articles, and short stories. I assume he does this the other ten months of the year.

That three to four hours that Fleming worked may sound leisurely, but four hours is about average for a pro writer, and it's not as comfy as it may seem to others. The reading, researching, and business side of writing can eat up a lot of hours.

Just because Lee Child takes six months to write a book doesn't mean he isn't writing at all the other six months. He seems to live at the keyboard. He's not only written a lot of novels, he's also written a ton of short stories. As with John Saul, I assume he uses the othersix months of the year to write these, and anything else he does.

Few writers can stay away from the keyboard for months on end, even with the best of intentions. If not novels, they always seem to find something else to write, whether it's play, short stories, or articles.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

I can write a novel in two months (certainly a James Bond length one) but the editing takes longer than the first writing.

They mean a final edit. Two months isn't terribly fast. Many go from first word to final draft considerably faster than this.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Just because Lee Child takes six months to write a book doesn't mean he isn't writing at all the other six months. He seems to live at the keyboard. He's not only written a lot of novels, he's also written a ton of short stories.

What's particularly impressive is that Child says he's smoked dope five nights a week for the last 44 years, which makes his productivity doubly remarkable.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Kinda makes me wonder what he's doing those other two nights...

In my ideal existence, I would write for a living. That said, I don't really relish the thought of only writing a few months out of the year and having enough money to live on. My dream is to be able to write all I want to (or can effectively, which caps out at about four hours per day for me). The goal is the opposite of not having to write most of the year -- it's being able to write all the freaking time.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I do two to three hours a day, four days a week, by preference. I can write a book in a month, if I have to, (not edited) but it's hard on my tender brain meats and the end product isn't usually my best.

3-4 hours a day for 8 weeks doesn't actually strike me as least effort. That's a good bit more and faster than I put in.

Mind you, I write short books...

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the least effort I could make is to just forget about this writing thing and watch Game of Thrones.

Trust me, I'm an expert on the least amount of effort I can give based on my own past :)

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Well, the least effort I could make is to just forget about this writing thing and watch Game of Thrones.

Trust me, I'm an expert on the least amount of effort I can give based on my own past :)

Oh no you don't :). To qualify for this thread you have to first write and publish something terrific in a way which then leaves you with months of leisurely contemplation whether to watch some TV or take a nap or maybe outline act 2 of a play or write another 4 words of a short story.

DeadCities

Registered
Reaction score

Lee Child Doesn't even write more than one draft. You heard me, he writes exactly one draft, and I'm assuming he just let's his publisher sort the rest out.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Lee Child Doesn't even write more than one draft. You heard me, he writes exactly one draft, and I'm assuming he just let's his publisher sort the rest out.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true, you know. He has said that he thinks the first draft has a freshness and vitality that editing only diminishes, and that ideally you change as little as possible, but I'm sure he does some revision.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
The writing times for these people don't sound that unusual. What is unusual is that these guys are successful enough to support not working a day job the rest of the time. If I spent four hours a day every day to write, it would probably only take me 2-3 months to finish a novel. The thing is that I don't.

DeadCities

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that isn't true, you know. He has said that he thinks the first draft has a freshness and vitality that editing only diminishes, and that ideally you change as little as possible, but I'm sure he does some revision.

Considering he's confirmed it himself in interviews, I'm going to take his word over yours.

Edit: A quick google search provided me with a quote that sheds light on the topic.

I have a kind of two-steps-forward, one-step-back process. At the start of every day I revise what I wrote the day before, and then press ahead. At the end of the book I'm always vaguely aware of one or maybe two sections that are a bit loose, so I duck back and tighten them up. But I don't really do a second draft, as such. I just finished the book that will appear in 2004 -- wrote the last line at midnight on a Thursday and had it in final shape by Sunday afternoon. Over the years I have realized that a book is a snapshot of where you were that particular six-month period, and you have to just let it go. Perpetual revising is a danger. Just type "The End" and mail it in.

So yes, he obviously does some revising, but it's basically a hit and run style of writing.

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Does that mean these people literally think in novel prose and what spills onto to page was already in their heads anyway? I hope to get like that someday, even if it takes years. For now my writing works in stages. The first stage where I write a bunch of malformed, bare bones sentences and then spend several stages revising. And not always revising well.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Considering he's confirmed it himself in interviews, I'm going to take his word over yours.

Edit: A quick google search provided me with a quote that sheds light on the topic.

So yes, he obviously does some revising, but it's basically a hit and run style of writing.

Yeah, he definitely gets edited - Marianne Velmans at Transworld works with him, and knowing her I would be very surprised if she just sent the MS to the copyeditor! But whether he would regard the product of that as a second draft, I don't know. Might just be terminology.

Also: BOW BEFORE PHANTOM, OF KRANKOR!!!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been struggling to complete a first draft of my current WIP. Can't imagine getting a final edit done in under six months.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Standard-setting fantasy novel written in three days

Wow. Does that mean these people literally think in novel prose and what spills onto to page was already in their heads anyway? I hope to get like that someday, even if it takes years. For now my writing works in stages. The first stage where I write a bunch of malformed, bare bones sentences and then spend several stages revising. And not always revising well.

The man who really does the "prose spilling out of head" is Michael Moorcock and his three-day novel completion from sentence 1 to 'the end' bursts:D
A wonderful system of spending a week in bed while outlining everything and then attacking the keyboard in an uninterrupted frenzy of swords, gods, magical artifacts, and multiverse reincarnations.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/feb/04/michael-moorcock-hari-kunzru

http://www.wetasphalt.com/?q=content/how-write-book-three-days-lessons-michael-moorcock

Of course, the books in question are 60K novels, but I suppose that multiplying the effort by two, no one would mind writing a 120K fantasy standard-setter and rock-band inspirer Neil Gaiman inspirer* in six days?

(*for real, Gaiman's maybe best short story is about being a school kid in love with Michael Moorcock's novels)

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
The man who really does the "prose spilling out of head" is Michael Moorcock and his three-day novel completion from sentence 1 to 'the end' bursts:D
A wonderful system of spending a week in bed while outlining everything and then attacking the keyboard in an uninterrupted frenzy of swords, gods, magical artifacts, and multiverse reincarnations.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/feb/04/michael-moorcock-hari-kunzru

http://www.wetasphalt.com/?q=content/how-write-book-three-days-lessons-michael-moorcock

Of course, the books in question are 60K novels, but I suppose that multiplying the effort by two, no one would mind writing a 120K fantasy standard-setter and rock-band inspirer Neil Gaiman inspirer* in six days?

(*for real, Gaiman's maybe best short story is about being a school kid in love with Michael Moorcock's novels)

Very cool and good to know!

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if "slacker" is the right word either, since these authors seem to be highly productive in such a short amount of time. Another one I admire is Catherynne M. Valente. From her website:
I tend to produce a novel in 4-6 weeks, however, it takes me a year or so of sitting with an idea and nurturing it and steeping it before I’m ready for that marathon. It’s grueling, but exhilarating, and in the end I just don’t know how to write a book any other way.

Being in a constant state of revising is probably my biggest problem as a writer. It takes me a very long time to finish anything because I can't stop myself from going over it again and again and again because it's "not perfect yet." I doubt I'll ever write a finished novel in 4-6 weeks, but I do strive to come closer to that method of getting it right the first time.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
The once-a-decade slacker

Not the ones who write for a few weeks and chill out and play with their hobbies for the remainder of the year, but the ones who write a novel, and chill out and play with their hobbies for the remainder of the decade.
I can imagine it being quite fun to have people throw bags of money at you once a decade and you learning new types of cocktails in between.
(Please, don't ruin my fun by insinuating they work on each book all decade long 12 hours a day. The protestant work ethic thread is in the next building)

Mario Puzo

Thomas Harris

Tom Wolfe

William Peter Blatty

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I write all my novels in one-sitting 72hr binges. Not a lot changes from that draft to publication draft. I'm a lazy shit most of the year.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Well, here's wishing you a very financially rewarding full-time career in this vein!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Is only binge writing allowed here? I write in three 45-minute sessions a week. I wrote a novel, took me about 18 months.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome, welcome, Layla.
Anything is allowed here as long as:
a) It looks like you're only writing for a super little while and then take time off for a super long while
b) the writing provide a comfy income so that the rest of the time you only do stuff you feel like doing (spouse nagging accepted)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, welcome, Layla.
Anything is allowed here as long as:
a) It looks like you're only writing for a super little while and then take time off for a super long while

Weeell ... I write on Mon, Tue & Thu - so Fri-Sat is the longest time I take off.

b) the writing provide a comfy income so that the rest of the time you only do stuff you feel like doing (spouse nagging accepted)

part b - that's what I'm working for (spouse nagging excepted)

Status
Not open for further replies.