Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Llumina Press / Metier Books

Llumina Press / Metier Books

Does anyone know what kind of publisher Media Creations Inc. is? Is this a small press, micropress, POD?... A Google search brought up too many companies using this name, or variations of it.

I'm wondering because I ordered a reprint of Susan Kay's well loved Phantom, put out by this publisher in October, and according to Amazon, it takes one to two weeks to ship. (I can attest that their estimate was overly generous as I am still waiting for mine to ship!) I guess if the covers curl when I get it, I'll know that it's POD.

Oddly, the hardback reprint edition came from a different publisher. Llumina I think, which appears to be a vanity press. Yet the original this book came out from a major publisher years ago, in both hardback and paperback editions. It's in demand from collectors, and the mass market paperback has been known to go for $40 on Amazon. Surely a better small press would have been interested!
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Llumina is an imprint of Media Creations Inc. (as is Metier Books). Based in Florida, FWIW.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Llumina is an imprint of Media Creations Inc. (as is Metier Books). Based in Florida, FWIW.
    Aha! That explains a lot. Thanx.

Llumina's home page mentions the reprint of the Susan Kay book (although the image shown is a rotating image of different covers), so this is obviously something "special" for them. I have no way of knowing if she actually had to pay to get it back into print, or if they gave her a special deal, similar to the one Amy Fisher was offered by iUniverse. They ain't cheap, and I hate to think that the author of a book that was once published by a big name publisher and that was in that much demand by fans would think she had to pay to get it into print when there were legit small presses (and no doubt larger presses) that would have been willing to reprint it and pay the author! (I know several SF/horror publishers that are doing lots of wonderful reprint editions and getting them on the shelves of bookstores.)

I did see the hardback in a book store (a Barnes & Noble), but they had only one copy. I don't know if they ordered it for their stock, or if it ended up there because someone ordered it and then decided not to buy it after all. I don't blame them as it was almost forty dollars and yet looked quite plain. Yikes! For that price, I can get a slipcased NEFSA Press edition or even a numbered and limited edition from a speciality house like Ash Tree Press! And to make things worse, Borders didn't even list the reprint edition of the Phantom book on their in-store inventory thingie. This is a disaster for Phantom phans!
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

practical experience, FTW

Question Checking out LLumina Press..........

Looks like it might be an avenue worth pursuing if I can't attract an agent. What say you? Here's the link: http://www.llumina.com/
    Mods, please remove me from the AW member rolls please.

practical experience, FTW cpickett's Avatar
    Where ever the voices in my head like to be
    Hi,
    Just in case someone reading this isn't familiar, Llumina is one of many in the category fee-based/POD publishers. In perusing the site,they operate similar to most others. As a general yay or nay, I've yet to see a fee-based publisher that doesn't have at least some fans and some that feel ripped off completely.

A few items to consider for any company in this category is overall price for the services offered, quality of the final product, what you will make per book if you sell through a wholesale partner (i.e.Amazon), and what it costs you to buy your own books if you plan to sell direct or give them out.

I noticed their site does a comparison of such things, but it's best to do your own research competing websites that catch your interest for as much accuracy as possible.

Beyond that, it is also key to make certain all of the results you discover fit well into your overall publishing goals. For example, does it fit your goals if you're only going to make x % of the retail price? If yes, why, if not why? Break down each piece until you find a good match. If it's not, move to the next.

Hope that helps.
    Cheryl Pickett

Author of Publishing Possibilities: 8 Steps to Understanding Your Options & Choosing the Best Path for Your Book

http://publishinganswers.com

Adding links to print-as-is arm, http://www.metierbooks.com/, and parent company, http://www.mediacreations.tv/.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Angry Llumina is a Vanity Press

Llumina Press is a vanity press that pretends it isn't. Phantom is a republish of an out-of-print book.

Here's what they say about themselves:
    "Unlike other print-on-demand companies, Llumina will not print any book unless it meets high editorial standards. When a book bears the Llumina imprint, booksellers, libraries, and specialty stores know they can depend on it to be a quality work." (From their website, www.llumina.com)

However, I highly recommend that anyone considering using this company go to the link below for an example of what they are publishing. Appalling!

http://www.llumina.com/store/lilyellowschoolbus.htm if you want to see the kind of work they turn out! Read the blurb, which came word for word from the back cover text, which Llumina claims to edit as a part of their publishing package.

This book is now being re-edited and republished by another publisher. It is a good story, but unfortunately Llumina's incompetence reflects poorly, aa great disservice to the author who spent a large amount of money to publish with these hacks.

Yes, Llumina is incompetent!
    If you were caught in their strangle hold of incompetence, notify the Better Business Bureau in Broward County Fla. They are accepting on line reports.
    I've been aggravated for 5 1/2 months with Llumina's incompetence. As much as I tried to cooperate, they say I have to accept it their way. Or?
    I want a refund for the work not done so I can get on with my life. Still trying to negotiate with them. BBB helps by logging the complaint and giving us an avenue to "talk".

Banned
    Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I live there!
    They don't seem to hide the fact that they're a vanity press. http://www.llumina.com/prices.htm

People shouldn't be surprised when the editing is non-existent and the covers are sub-par (saying sub-par is very polite for what they use for covers). I'm having a very hard time understanding why people would rather use a vanity publisher than self publish. I really can't understand it.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Charging to publish doesn't preclude a company from exercising some level of selectivity (even if it's only to institute a quota--so many manuscripts accepted per week, every ms. over the cutoff point rejected). Many fee-based publishers claim to be selective, and sometimes it's true.

Llumina offers a publishing service, and doesn't attempt to conceal that fact. Whether it does a good job or not is a different question.

There seems to be some kind of complaint coordination going on--Writer Beware has gotten several complaints over the past couple of weeks that sound very similar to the two above.

- Victoria

Banned
    Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I live there!
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    Charging to publish doesn't preclude a company from exercising some level of selectivity (even if it's only to institute a quota--so many manuscripts accepted per week, every ms. over the cutoff point rejected). Many fee-based publishers claim to be selective, and sometimes it's true.

Llumina offers a publishing service, and doesn't attempt to conceal that fact. Whether it does a good job or not is a different question.

There seems to be some kind of complaint coordination going on--Writer Beware has gotten several complaints over the past couple of weeks that sound very similar to the two above.

- Victoria
    As a curiosity, Victoria, are you aware of any fee-based publishers who do well by their authors? In terms of consistently generating noteworthy sales, and producing an industry standard product, I mean. It's not something that I am personally considering, but it would be something that those interested in Vanity Publishing might find of interest. If for no other reason, it could be used as a comparable standard for other such outfits.

Thumbs down NO Llumina Press in Fla.

Don't go there unless you like incompetence and manipulation!

Is swimming with creativity frogs AlishaS's Avatar
    Probably better to have this in Bewares and Backgrounds... also might I suggest adding a little bit more. A post like this doesn't actually benefit anyone, we need more information on why this Press is incompetent and manipulative as you say.
    This is my signature

Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caffeine
    There's also already a thread about Llumina in the Bewares forum. You might want to share your particular experiences (if you feel comfortable) there, to help warn off others in the future.

<link snipped>
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 09-09-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: threads merged, link moot
    Current WIP: Escape Vector (Editing stage)

Piper's Pocket Muse (Tumblr) | Twitter

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    I don't think you're ever going to find a vanity press who generates noteworthy sales for their authors. That's not the nature of a vanity press - their income comes mostly from authors paying for services, not selling books to the public. Any author who manages good sales does so through their own efforts and I don't think that'll change unless vanity presses get marketing departments.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Threads merged. Lifeprint, please keep all posts about this publisher in this forum.

Thanks.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Parent company Media Creations has been renamed Llumina Productions; same URL.
    ICAO
    ---------

Parent now listed as Aeon Publishing, Inc. (http://www.aeonpublishing.com/), another of the owner's enterprises.
    ICAO
    ---------