The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Coral Press

Coral Press

Anyone hear of the small specialty publisher Coral. I've heard they don't give advances. Does this mean they're similar to self publishing?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    No advance =/= self-publishing.

You'll find tons of perfectly legitimate small presses that don't pay advances.

You have to look at all aspects of their operation. The big one: do they physically get books into physical bookstores? What's their distribution? Any award winners? Sales figures? Royalty rates? Reputation? Have they published any books you personally have read?

BTW, do you mean this Coral Publishing: http://216.15.225.19/home.html (one title)

or this Coral Publishing http://
    www.coralpublishing.com/ (domain has expired but they can still renew it!)

or some other Coral Publishing? With some of the little guys it's important to be specific.

It's actually Coral Press. I've looked at their web site (coralpress.com) and some of the books have gotten major reviews (don't know about sales).

I wish there were some way I could get onto the Neilsen Book Scan web site. Anyone got a password.

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by popmuze
    I wish there were some way I could get onto the Neilsen Book Scan web site. Anyone got a password.
    It's a subscription site, popmuze. Costs about $55 a year for access. Using someone else's password to access a subscription site could be seen as theft, so I don't think that's what you're asking for. Somebody with a subscription might be willing to look something up for you, though, just like someone might be willing to loan you the physical copy of a magazine they subscribe to.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Those look like the same Coral, Jim. I'll bet all their domains are down because of this: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=330669

As for Coral Press...as a quick 'n' dirty ranking, the three books on Amazon aren't less than 800k (and all by the same author, BTW). I'm amused that for the only review outlet I recognize (Kirkus), their site only displays one sentence.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Obviously not my first choice, with only a couple of rejections on the novel in the bank thus far.

Maybe when I'm desperate, 50 rejections from now.

Only fifty? Hold out for 150, then go Lulu. </half-serious>
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

All kidding aside, would you equate the two options?

Do I consider the likes of Lulu comparable to Coral Press? Well, they're both POD. Coral would hopefully give you editing help, and be able to promote it more successfully than you could on your own, but I'll bet their markup would make the end product pricier than DIY via Lulu.

As to PODing at all? That's a question only you can answer. IMHO, the better route would be figuring out why they won't have you. Could be market timing, in which case stick it in a drawer and write something else until the market turns again. Could be presentation (have you had your query letter critiqued?), and it could be the book itself (ditto). Endeavour to persevere and all that rot.
    ICAO
    ---------

Check out my post today in Rejections and Dejections if you like for a more complete rundown on this particular ms.

Oh, sure, pique my curiosity. Now I gotta, like, click and stuff.
    ICAO
    ---------

Updating link: http://coralpress.com/
    ICAO
    ---------