? re camera and computer

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a 2007 Canon Powershot G9 camera. My only hesitation it whether it would interface with my laptop which is on W7. At the time the camera was manufactured Vista was what was on new computers.

Any one have any insights?

MM

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you got this camera for a terrific price

Does it come with all the included software from Canon?

I'm not sure, but I suspect it wouldn't be a problem using the camera and Windows 7 computer together.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I have the opportunity to buy a 2007 Canon Powershot G9 camera. My only hesitation it whether it would interface with my laptop which is on W7. At the time the camera was manufactured Vista was what was on new computers.

Any one have any insights?

MM

I think you'll be fine. You might need a Windows 7 driver but I suspect the first time you plug it in to your laptop it will download that automatically.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It has everything, including the box, purchase receipt, and a tripod she bought seperately. The woman who owns it is meticulous with her equipment.

MM

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine. You might need a Windows 7 driver but I suspect the first time you plug it in to your laptop it will download that automatically.

Then I think I will give it a go. Worst case scenario, I will have helped out a friend without it seeming like charity. She needs money for dental work on her dog.

Thanks both of you.

MM

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And whatever Canon software it came with? I assume it would if she kept even the receipt.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And whatever Canon software it came with? I assume it would if she kept even the receipt.

Yes, and the software. She keeps *everything* that comes with a piece of equipment or appliance.

MM

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Drivers are available online at Canon USA. If there's any issue with your computer's card slot, a USB2.0 All-in-1 Card Reader (about $5 on eBay) solves all problems by making various cards fit your basic USB port. I say no worries...

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I can't answer the Windows question, just wanted to say I love the Canon G series.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why not. Windows 7 is really just a "fixed" vista. And my little Canon Point and click works on WIndows xp, 7 and ubuntu. If by some really strange reason it doesn't, Canon will have drivers on their website without a doubt. There is no way they wont add 7 support.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com

It doesn't need to. At worst you might have to buy a cheap USB card reader -- pop the card out of the camera and use it as you would any flash drive, access it with Windows Explorer and have your way with the files.

But chances are Windows will find the camera and treat it like an external drive without any intervention (it may or may not ID the camera, but that doesn't matter). In which case -- access it with Windows Explorer as you would any flash drive, and have your way with the files.

I have an old Canon ... G4? (it's packed right now so I can't look) and I didn't bother installing anything, just plugged it in, turned on the camera, and WinXP found its flash card like it was any external drive.

I have two other cameras, same deal -- a very old Fujifilm (rebadged Olympus from ca. 2003) and a newer but extremely primitive Kodak ($20 camera I got a couple years ago to haul around in the truck) ... I don't bother installing the software, just plug 'em in and let XP find 'em for itself. It occasionally has trouble with the Kodak, but that's because the camera is a piece of crap. Restart the camera a couple times and the problem goes away.

Windows later than XP should have better USB support than XP does, so.

In any event, be sure to use "Safely Remove Hardware" or whatever Win7 calls that function, so you don't corrupt the camera's memory card -- it's really just a flash drive that uses the camera as its case. (Unless turning the camera off causes Windows to automatically 'eject' it, as is the case with my Canon and Kodak, but not with the Fuji. But it never hurts to use "Safely Remove Hardware" regardless.)

I use ACDSee to do the file management, and various other software to edit them (mostly Corel PhotoPaint). The software that comes with the cameras is generally a lot more trouble and not as competent, or even downright braindead. ACDSee comes with a lot of cameras, actually.

Since Canons can do "Raw" format (no data compression, which makes for HUGE files), if you shoot in Raw, you'll need a Raw convertor, but there are some freebies floating around, and there's probably one on the Canon's disk, or can be got from Canon. However, there's no real reason to shoot in Raw unless you're doing serious image editing and want to start with absolutely every pixel intact.

I'd go for it, if the price is reasonable. Canons have typically the best image sensors and overall feature set for the price.

Side note: Some motherboards are a bit stupid about using both front and back USB ports at the same time (one side or the other will play dead if you try to use both at once). My solution was to get a cheap wall-powered USB hub (so it's the only thing plugged into the computer's USB port), and plug everything into that instead. That also ensures that everything gets enough power from the port to work properly.