Creating an index?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help! :e2drown: please.

I've just finished my book on bullying in schools and the publisher wants it to have an index.

I've only got until the end of this month (10 days) before I have to hand the ms over and I'm panicking. Does anyone know a quick way to put together an index? Obviously I can't put the page numbers in, as I won't know what goes on what page until the galleys are available - I think. I don't know how this works.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received. :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you use Word?

I can step you through the process if you do.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

For the index, what I did (only the publisher chose not to use it) is to go through the ms and keep an open file with the index. As I spotted a likely word, I typed it in in alphabetical order.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The only way I know of to create an index is to hire someone who does that - I know someone who does and it takes more than 10 days hired out afaik.

If the kitty knows how, I'd cling to that hard; get a whole kitty to kitty thing going!

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, kind people!

Do you use Word?

I can step you through the process if you do.

Yes, I do use Word (a rather old version, I'm afraid, circa 2003-ish) but I'm sure it'll work.

And yes, please AC. I would very much appreciate the help. :)

*clings like gum to fur*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can get you started. You will still need the final galley proofs if you are going to complete the index yourself.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
That is a great offer from Alleycat.

For anyone who might read this in the future and not have that option--I created an index with ease by using a book template from:

http://www.bookdesigntemplates.com/template-gallery/#Non-Fiction

I have no affiliation with them. I'm just sharing because the book template has been an amazing tool!

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
Most non-fiction publishers hire an indexer; it's a bit of a specialized task.

This. Professional indexers get training in not only how to format an index, but also how to identify key concepts and express them in words for which someone might search, as well as when to use major entries, sub-entries, etc.

(But a small clarification: sometimes the publisher hires the indexer, sometimes it's the author. Either way, it's often the author who pays.)

Typically indexes are done from galley proofs, so you might want to double-check with your publisher whether the index needs to be turned in with the MS.

If hiring an indexer is at all within your means, you can find one through the American Society of Indexers: http://www.asindexing.org/find-an-indexer/asi-indexer-locator/ I'd expect a minimum of a two-week turnaround and possibly longer, depending on the length and complexity of the manuscript.

Not an indexer myself, but related to one. :)

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
beckethm said:
Professional indexers get training in not only how to format an index, but also how to identify key concepts and express them in words for which someone might search, as well as when to use major entries, sub-entries, etc.

I know casually someone who creates indexes as her freelance means of making a living. She's not eager to share the knowledge, so I'm wondering how one goes about learning this skill? I've never seen classes offered. I think my way of thinking would be a good fit.

ETA: That site beckethm referenced has a page of info on indexing courses and workshops, so that's probably a good place to start. Thanks ...

Last edited:

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input. I've sure learned a lot about indexing here.

I contacted the publisher and was told not to worry about the index now, we'll wait for the galley proofs. I'd prefer not to pay for indexing, if possible, so while I wait to the proofs I thought I might begin working through the ms and looking for topics/specific info etc. and begin making lists which I can check against the proofs.

I submitted the ms and illustrations last Wednesday, so now I'm just waiting for them to assign me a handler an editor. :D

That is a great offer from Alleycat.

For anyone who might read this in the future and not have that option--I created an index with ease by using a book template from:

http://www.bookdesigntemplates.com/template-gallery/#Non-Fiction

I have no affiliation with them. I'm just sharing because the book template has been an amazing tool!

This is a very interesting site. Thanks for sharing it. :)