Another Police Related Question

apgambrell

Registered
Reaction score
If the police go to another town to retrieve a suspect, are they barred from helping the police department in that town from helping or is that up to the other police department? I'm writing a scene where my characters are supposed to get custody AFTER the other police department arrests the suspect but a fight breaks out and my characters want to help break it up. The other police department really doesn't like the department my cops are from and usually make them wait on the sidelines, if that helps what the answer will be.

Last edited:

T J Deen

A Necessary Evil
Registered
Reaction score
If the police go to another town to retrieve a suspect, are they barred from helping the police department in that town from helping or is that up to the other police department? I'm writing a scene where my characters are supposed to get custody AFTER the other police department arrests the suspect but a fight breaks out and my characters want to help break it up. The other police department really doesn't like the department my cops are from and usually make them wait on the sidelines, if that helps what the answer will be.

Your question is about jurisdiction. The answer depends on where the officer's Peace Officer certification comes from. Just the other day I was injured in while transporting and inmate. (in our state correction officer have peace officer status like the police) and there were two Nassau county officers also there awaiting to pick up a guy we had in custody because he also had a case in their town. And when the incident with me and the inmate broke out they both ran over and helped me restrain him to the ground. They were able to do this because all of our Peace officer powers are certified by the state. It wasn't their jurisdiction but they were able to reasonably help because the situation demanded for it and NOT ACTING in a situation can be worse.

I hope this helps.