Abandon your babies here

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/17/china-baby-hatch-suspended-parents-abandon-infants

Reaction #1: Shock.

Reaction #2: Attempting to understand a society where large numbers of people are so impoverished that a solution like this appears desirable. I could come up with countless scenarios in a country like mine (USA), where parents would endure practically anything rather than give up their children. Are we back to the old "East is East and West is West..." formula so much that we cannot understand each other's cultures?

Reaction #3: Pity for such parents as well. If they are dirt-poor, and if--as the article indicates--some of the babies are sick or disabled, turning them over to a facility that will care for them can begin to make sense. And I should take account of methods used in the West where, historically, babies have been left on doorsteps or turned over to "foundling hospitals." We still find mothers tossing their newborns into dumpsters in this country--though that often involves girls who don't want their parents to know they were pregnant.

Reaction #4: The term "baby hatch" doesn't help. Sounds like something in a machine.

As others have mentioned, this exists in many countries, including the U.S., because the exact thing - people too poor to care for a child, or yes, who don't want a child or can't care for one for other reasons, happens all the time.

I know in my state, firehouses and hospitals are places you can leave an infant without fear of any repercussions, and without anyone asking any questions of you, including your name, if they see you. You can hand the kid over, put the kid in a basket, ring the bell and run, whatever.

However, your #2 - people being too impoverished to care for a child and thus they do not keep the child is a scenario that happens every day in the U.S., multiple times. It's why there are abortions and adoptions.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
However, your #2 - people being too impoverished to care for a child and thus they do not keep the child is a scenario that happens every day in the U.S., multiple times. It's why there are abortions and adoptions.

Of course, these things happen in all societies. I suppose what got me was the large numbers described and the fact that the welfare center's baby hatch in Guangzhou was "overwhelmed by unwanted children" and had to close its doors. I doubt that your local firehouse is overwhelmed by unwanted babies. (Or maybe it is? ;))

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, these things happen in all societies. I suppose what got me was the large numbers described and the fact that the welfare center's baby hatch in Guangzhou was "overwhelmed by unwanted children" and had to close its doors. I doubt that your local firehouse is overwhelmed by unwanted babies. (Or maybe it is? ;))

China has 1.3 billion people.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I don't think the firehouse is, no, but ask social services how many children are awaiting adoption in the U.S., which has a population, what, 1/5th the size of China's, and a standard of living how much higher (generalized, as there's city and rural and rich and poor in both places, obvs.)?

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the firehouse is, no, but ask social services how many children are awaiting adoption in the U.S., which has a population, what, 1/5th the size of China's, and a standard of living how much higher (generalized, as there's city and rural and rich and poor in both places, obvs.)?

You make a valid point, as does kuwisdelu in the post above yours. I didn't realize how big Guangzhou was, so I looked it up. Population 12.78 million. Yeah, that's a lot.