• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Beta Reader for YA novel - possible trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhill

One word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themapmakers.org
Hey everyone,

First off, thanks for taking the time to look at this. Right now I am in the final stages of this novel and I'm looking for someone with a keen interest in literary fiction for young adults. This novel has deep eco-literary themes with lesser elements of fantasy/magic. More on that to come...

Who I'm looking for and why: A dedicated reader, a constructive critic, a writer themselves, and someone with a firm grasp of what literature should be. Ideally, I would like someone who has a strong background in YA fiction and can help me determine if this book would appeal to young audiences. I am NOT looking for an editor. This book is in its 8th draft, and though there will undoubtedly be a few typos and formatting errors, my search is more for someone who can give constructive feedback around themes, plot, and characters. With that in mind, let me get to the book itself.

My novel, The Dreamer's Lotus, is 90,000 words and the first book in a three-book series, set to be self-published late summer.

A brief synopsis: At the edge of a dark forest lies a hidden village where it is believed that everything is symbolic. No one, however, knows for certain why a thirteen-year-old boy has been followed by a flock of crows since birth. The boy suspects that the answer to the crows' meaning (as well as his own) lies in the forest, because that is where the crows have come from. There the boy finds a mysterious lotus with the power to awaken his dreams as well as unraveling the lies of the village Elders who have corrupted the meanings of the signs. When he discovers there is a prophecy that he will one day destroy his village, Corvus realizes he must make meaning of his own, or the very crows which guide him will be his undoing.

I am willing to look over the work of a fellow author who is in need of feedback in exchange for their help. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.