Desperate for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Varsha

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a published south asian author who is settled in the USA but my books come out in India. My most recent work is a love story (contemporary fiction) set in the US about an Indian girl who has recently migrated here.

I want this book to be available to my existing readers in India and hopefully cultivate a reader base in the US. Self publishing an ebook seems to be the only option that would allow me to do this. However, I have only worked with a traditional Indian publisher so self publishing is a completely new route. I'm very confused about this all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How do I go about self publishing and what are the good platforms to sell my ebook on. I'm a having a professional editor copy edit my book. Other than that I'm very confused about this whole concept of self publishing ebook . Does anyone here know a reliable firm that does start to finish work for an ebook? Also any thoughts on ebook contracts for various platforms. Like I said I'm very desperate for some advise. Feeling rather lost.:Shrug: Thank you. All help is deeply appreciated:snoopy:

Varsha
www.varshadixit.com

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably too much information for one post to reply to. For a really comprehensive step-by-step it might be worth googling "how do I self publish" as the bulk of the info is pretty accessable on-line. There are some good guides out there.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked through the sticky threads in this section of the forum? That would be a great place to start, I'd think.

D.Varsha

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably too much information for one post to reply to. For a really comprehensive step-by-step it might be worth googling "how do I self publish" as the bulk of the info is pretty accessable on-line. There are some good guides out there.

Thank you. I did google but I get these generic stuff nothing which has a tries and tested feel to it. Sorry the idea was not overburden but just feeling very overwhelmed that's all 😳😳

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Varsha, do you already have a contract with an Indian publisher for your book? If you self-publish an e-book in the US, you're giving up most of the Indian market, which still relies heavily on printed books.

That's the one thing I wish I had done differently with my book.

D.Varsha

Registered
Reaction score
Varsha, do you already have a contract with an Indian publisher for your book? If you self-publish an e-book in the US, you're giving up most of the Indian market, which still relies heavily on printed books.

That's the one thing I wish I had done differently with my book.

Hi! I have a book to book contract with my Indian publishers. I agree the Indian market does rely on printed books but the moment I make a contract here or there I will be bound to that publisher's terms. Conundrum 😔! thank u for sharing ur thoughts 👍

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a published south asian author who is settled in the USA but my books come out in India. My most recent work is a love story (contemporary fiction) set in the US about an Indian girl who has recently migrated here.

I want this book to be available to my existing readers in India and hopefully cultivate a reader base in the US. Self publishing an ebook seems to be the only option that would allow me to do this. However, I have only worked with a traditional Indian publisher so self publishing is a completely new route. I'm very confused about this all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you hoping to self-publish a digital version of a book which is already under contract to your Indian publisher? If so, please check your contract with the publisher very carefully before proceeding, to ensure you don't break any of the clauses you've agreed to.

How do I go about self publishing and what are the good platforms to sell my ebook on. I'm a having a professional editor copy edit my book.

If the book was published already by your Indian publisher, couldn't you use their edited version? Or is this a new or translation work?

Other than that I'm very confused about this whole concept of self publishing ebook . Does anyone here know a reliable firm that does start to finish work for an ebook? Also any thoughts on ebook contracts for various platforms. Like I said I'm very desperate for some advise. Feeling rather lost.:Shrug: Thank you. All help is deeply appreciated:snoopy:

Varsha
www.varshadixit.com

Don't feel confused, Varsha. There is a lot to learn.

The best thing you could do, I think, is to read through the self-publishing diary threads here. You'll learn a lot from them, and they'll give you a better idea of the questions you need to ask.

Also, add the link to your website to your signature. Then you don't have to type it into every post you make, and it makes your posts clearer.

Oh, and welcome to AW!

D.Varsha

Registered
Reaction score
Are you hoping to self-publish a digital version of a book which is already under contract to your Indian publisher? If so, please check your contract with the publisher very carefully before proceeding, to ensure you don't break any of the clauses you've agreed to.

If the book was published already by your Indian publisher, couldn't you use their edited version? Or is this a new or translation work?

Don't feel confused, Varsha. There is a lot to learn.

The best thing you could do, I think, is to read through the self-publishing diary threads here. You'll learn a lot from them, and they'll give you a better idea of the questions you need to ask.

Also, add the link to your website to your signature. Then you don't have to type it into every post you make, and it makes your posts clearer.

Oh, and welcome to AW!

Hi, thank you for the great advice. I shall do some more research on the threads in this group. The MS that I want to publish as an ebook is under no contract. Thank you for the welcome :))))

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
This is in no way meant to deter you from self-publishing, but considering your specific niche, and your preference to find a firm to take over the "start to finish work for an ebook," have you scoped out Indireads (for submission purposes)?

Disclaimer: I've got no personal experience with them and am not recommending them (and I wasn't able to find their thread in the Bewares section). I've just crossed paths with some of their authors, and they do seem to specialize in ebook publishing, specifically love stories by South Asian authors. They also have a nice website and good cover art (in my opinion). Since quite a few of their authors are active on social media, I just thought it might be worth it for you to reach out and ask a few questions (even if it's just for networking purposes).

[Dear Mods: I don't usually post in the self-publishing section, so if I just committed huge faux pas, I'm very sorry...*puppy dog eyes* Please feel free to delete.]

Status
Not open for further replies.