ACX drops royalty rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
First step to Amazon not being quite so SP-friendly (ie, now we've got them where we want them...)? Their answer to "Why the change?" seemed to circle around quite a bit...

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Right. They have such a monopoly on audiobooks, they can do what they want.

Which really makes me think that authors need to be careful not to let them get a monopoly on ebooks too. For me that means never signing up to Select. Because I like those 70% royalty rates and I want them to stay.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Right. They have such a monopoly on audiobooks, they can do what they want.

Which really makes me think that authors need to be careful not to let them get a monopoly on ebooks too. For me that means never signing up to Select. Because I like those 70% royalty rates and I want them to stay.

Absolutely. I would never want to be dependent on Amazon exclusively. Even if you get higher sales through Select than otherwise, which may or may not be the case in individual circumstances, you're missing out on the opportunity to build sales at other retailers that may be essential to your long-term survival.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
They made this change because they could. As has been already pointed out, they're close to having a monopoly on audiobooks and I agree with above posters when I say I would never enter into select.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
First step to Amazon not being quite so SP-friendly (ie, now we've got them where we want them...)?

Amazon has never been author-friendly.

It has only worked with self publishers in the way that it has because it recognised there was a good income stream there.

Do you remember when Amazon removed the "buy" buttons from ranges of books, insisted that POD publishers only use Amazon's own POD facility, insisted on higher and higher discounts from trade publishers? These were ways it increased its own income without thought for the writers whose books it was holding hostage.

We need to be very careful when we consider Amazon to be the self publisher's friend. It is not.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon has never been author-friendly.

It has only worked with self publishers in the way that it has because it recognised there was a good income stream there.
We need to be very careful when we consider Amazon to be the self publisher's friend. It is not.

I should have put "SP-friendly" in quotes, because I know it's never been truly friendly, but merely exploitative.

All along, there have been folks here on AW predicting that at some point, the haven for SPs that Amazon presented itself as would start disappearing. After reading about the Gazelle Project, it only reinforced my agreement with those predictions.

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
heh, just about finished the production of my audiobook when i got this news. It's lovely =/

Ah well, they're paying my narrator and that's great, I guess. This is frustrating though, when I've spent all this time to find the right narrator and finally get things produced. Grr.

Status
Not open for further replies.