VOOK ? What is the deal with Vook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keston925

Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you used Vook? What is your experience?

I am not sure I understand the concept...

I bought my ISBN's from Bowker and they offered a program that included Vook. I bought the program but am not sure I want to use Vook services.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
While I wouldn't call Vook a vanity press, I still think you're better off avoiding them. You can go direct with Amazon, BN, and Apple or go through an aggregator like Smashwords. If you do that, you will be keeping more of your royalties and those services are all free.

Also, their services are very overpriced, at $6 per page (for a copyedit), you could hire a quality editor for a fraction of that.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
From what I've seen of Vook, it's intended to be a service more useful to multimedia ebooks. "Books" that include a lot of photo and video, for instance (in quotes, because are they really still books? That's a question for the philosophers!). IIRC (don't quote me), I think "Vook" comes from video+book. These types of projects understandably take a good deal more formatting knowledge.

Anyway, from what I've seen on them I *think* that's their main thrust, but I could be totally wrong, so again, don't quote me. ;) Not to say that they don't do text-only ebooks -- they certainly do -- but I agree that you can probably get the individual services they offer cheaper and better if you research and hire a la carte from other places. I believe there's at least one well-known author who uses them, so maybe the value is the convenience of having all the services in one place? IDK, I wouldn't opt for them myself, personally.

When I googled them (a while ago) I didn't find anything indicating that they were scammy, so my slightly-informed impression of them is "not a scam, but also not the best value out there you could get when it comes to pure-text ebooks."

(If I were going to do something multimedia, though, I might take a closer look at what they offer, at least on the formatting side. I don't know what opinion I'd have of them if I looked into that.)

eta: I feel the need to stress that the above knowledge is pretty tenuous and is what I remember from a-while-ago googling, so if someone downthread contradicts me, you should probably listen to that person instead. ;)

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
It's one of those startups that is looking to crack the problem of enhanced ebooks (the problem essentially being that nobody seems to want to buy them.)

I am not entirely convinced by them because I watch digital publishing professionally and I haven't come across any successful Vook apps or ebooks. Maybe more of a hit in the USA, but...
P

Status
Not open for further replies.