AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Chalberg & Sussman

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say. Lady MacBeth's Avatar

[Agency] Chalberg & Sussman

Does anyone have any experience with this agency? Their website doesn't offer much information.

Thanks. The bio section on the site gives some good indications of what each agent wants.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    R today on a Fantasy Romance query to Natasha from 11th August, so pretty good response time even if the result wasn't what I desired, and at least it wasn't a 'dear author', which I seem to be getter more of lately. *shrugs*
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.

Just chiming in to say that my agent, Lana Popovic, recently switched from Zachary Shuster Harmsworth to Chalberg & Sussman. The switch-over isn't official--as in they haven't announced it to the world with all due pomp and circumstance--but she is taking queries at her new C&S address.

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Yes, Lana's bio is on the C&S site, though I didn't realise she hadn't officially announced it.
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.

Anyone have any info/updates on how things are going with the new changes at this agency?

I'm curious about this one also, as I'm researching agents who take fantasy. Both Popovic and Chalberg & Sussman have come up on publishers marketplace as making deals recently (though they aren't with imprints I recognize), but I can't find listings for either Lana Popovic or for this agency on preditors and editors (nor are there listings for Terra Chalberg, Natasha Alexis or the other listed agents on that site).
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 01-21-2015 at 01:05 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

The agency is new, so that might be why it's not on Preditors and Editors yet (I'm not sure how Dave compiles his information).

Lana was with Zachary Shuster Harmsworth before C&S, so she (and as far as I understand it) the other agents have experience with more established agencies.

I'm not sure if that helps to you allay any fears or answers any questions, however.

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedrellum View Post
    The agency is new, so that might be why it's not on Preditors and Editors yet (I'm not sure how Dave compiles his information).
    FYI, sadly Dave Kuzminski passed away in 2013. P&E is now run by Andrew Burt.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

thanks for the follow-up. Yes, my sense is some of the agents there have experience and sales (one as recent as a few days ago). Was wondering if people felt that the collective experience of the agents there makes up for it being a new-ish agency to then take the risk with new-ish agents (or agents without an extensive sales history)...
    Last edited by Nova Odyssey; 01-22-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    Adult literary with... magical realism, historical, fabulist if you want. With something for that inner '80s child in you.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Does anyone have any experience with Lana Popovic? I have a call with her coming up. I have seen that she's made a few deals with a small press called Spencer Hill and I'm wondering what other deals she has made. I would also love to get any insight from any of her clients.
    Book 1: YA Contemp, 90k. 40+ rejections; 2 fulls. Shelved forever.
    Book 2: YA Contemp, 85k. Shelved forever.
    Book 3: YA Contemp, 82k. 5 fulls so far, still querying.
    Book 4: YA Historical. WIP, starting soon.

Yes, I have (and still do have experience) with Ms. Popovic. Flipping through co-clients on Twitter, she's also made a sale to Harpercollins & I think to one other big five, though I can't find it at the moment.

She's a very editorial agent (something I wanted/preferrred) and I've only had good experiences with her. The novel she took me on for (YA SF involving a semi-generation ship, murder, and aliens) didn't sell. The second is on sub at the moment.

PM if you have more specific questions.

ETA: Forgot to add congratulations on the interest & call!

Quote Originally Posted by Thedrellum View Post
    Yes, I have (and still do have experience) with Ms. Popovic. Flipping through co-clients on Twitter, she's also made a sale to Harpercollins & I think to one other big five, though I can't find it at the moment.

She's a very editorial agent (something I wanted/preferrred) and I've only had good experiences with her. The novel she took me on for (YA SF involving a semi-generation ship, murder, and aliens) didn't sell. The second is on sub at the moment.

PM if you have more specific questions.

ETA: Forgot to add congratulations on the interest & call!
    Thank you, Thedrellum! That is great to hear. Best of luck with your second book! I might PM you after the call if I have questions. Did she have you do an R&R before offering rep?

She didn't, but we did go through some serious revisions after signing. In our talk, she said she was confident I could make the changes needed (and so, I assume, no need for the R&R).

She is my agent's agent! Rebecca's debut novel is coming out from Balzer+Bray, a HarperCollins imprint. That's all I know off the top of my head but she seems like a great agent.
    MAYBE IN PARIS - YA contemporary - coming June 6th 2017 from Sky Pony Press! Now available to preorder on Amazon!

Represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!

Add my book on Goodreads!

Facebook - I don't really know what I'm doing there yet
    Twitter - Sometimes I'm funny there
    Tumblr - My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Becca C. View Post
    She is my agent's agent! Rebecca's debut novel is coming out from Balzer+Bray, a HarperCollins imprint. That's all I know off the top of my head but she seems like a great agent.
    That's great to hear, Becca! Thanks for telling me

Has semi-colon; will use it! jtrylch13's Avatar
    Queried Poovic on 10/17/14 with YA Post-Apocalyptic. No response so I assume no.
    Represented by Valerie Noble at Donaghy Literary Group
    Red Dawn + Xmen
    (YA SF) WIP
    THEY CHOSE THE STARS
    (YA Sci-fi) On Submission
    I HAVE NO NAME (YA Post-apocalyptic Survival) - Sitting on top of the trunk, afraid to go in . . .
    Serra Craft and the Keeper of Wilhelmina's Treasure (MG Fantasy) - Trunked

Facebook Pinterest Blog Twitter

Anyone know what happened to Natasha Alexis? The website no longer lists her and she's closed to queries. Did she move to a different agency? Thanks!
    http://www.kathleensallen.weebly.com

Blog: http://www.kathleensallen.wordpress.com

Twitter: @kathleea

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/kathleea/

Books available online and in print
    Book trailers available on You Tube