• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Finding a writing partner/beta reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
Specifically looking for someone who is within my age group and is willing to give honest feedback. Any idea where I can find someone like that?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There is actually an entire section of AW for beta readers/writing partners. I'm sure the BWQ mod will move this there soon.

ETA: Ta-dah!

Last edited:

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
There is actually an entire section of AW for beta readers/writing partners. I'm sure the BWQ mod will move this there soon.

ETA: Ta-dah!

Thanks! But what are the odds of finding someone? :O

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Also what genres you write. I mean, *I* know, but the folks reading this thread may not.

And are you looking for a beta or someone to read as you write it? Do you want a mentor or someone to trade novels with?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
xYinxx, remember that not everyone knows you. Sell yourself a little by giving specifics.

Age range of the ideal partner
What the ideal partner reads
What the idea partner writes
Any other traits the partner should have (availability, similar schedule, willingness to chat or Skype, how much time s/he can give to this, like that)
Exactly what you hope to get from the ideal partner
Exactly what you offer in exchange

If you share that, it helps people know right away if they're the 'droids you're looking for.

Maryn, old school

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here goes.

Age range: 16-18
What the ideal partner reads: Fantasy/Sci-Fi
What the ideal partner writes: Fantasy
Genre I write: Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Fantasy/Adventure
Traits: Willing to listen, open, honest, willing to be truthful. Willing to listen to my brainstorming.
What I want from the partner: Improvement with my writing, good feedback
What I offer in exchange: I'll try my best to critique, though I'm not really that good at it. :I

Last edited:

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...I'm 19, write mostly Horror/Science-Fiction and read Fantasy/Science-Fiction/Horror. If it sounds good to you, I'd be happy to toss my hat into the ring. I can't beta a whole WIP (I just don't have the time, with school and all) but I'll definitely look at a couple chapters or short stories, whatever you're working on. I can point out any errors and explain why it doesn't work.

PM me if you're interested.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason they have to be in that age range? Just curious... Wouldn't you want older, more experienced writers to give you feedback? Us "old folks" like fantasy too. ;)

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
You're right. Idk. I guess I just hoped to maybe have someone around my age. But um, Niccolo, thanks for your offer! Someone actually pm'd me about looking at my work, but if you're still interested, maybe I'll shoot you a pm.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
If you post a chapter or two of your work over in Share Your Work, it gives potential betas/writing partners a chance to see your work (as well as how you handle criticism) and decide if it's the sort of thing they like to read.

This grey-haired 22-year-old almost never betas work unless she's seen the writer's stuff in SYW and liked it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.