AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 601 of 604 FirstFirst ... 101351501526551576591595596597598599600601602603604 LastLast
Results 15,001 to 15,025 of 15095

Thread: "Old" People Writing for Teens V

Quote Originally Posted by JFitchett92 View Post
    Haven't checked in for a while, but just wanted to congratulate Ragged ^_^

Also, hope everyone is staying safe with all the crazy stuff going on right now. The world is a scary place.

As you were.
    Hey JF!
    Write the change you want to see in the world!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

PREPARING TO SUB: One of the Lucky Ones (YA) - Soundtrack, Moodboard
    NANOWRIMO '17!: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    PONDERING: Lion of Andalus (historical)
    Twitter (barely)

Hi, JFitchett, and thanks!! BTW, how is the baby girl? How old now?
    MS2: YA Contemporary - editing for the agent
    WIP1: YA Contemporary - planning
    WIP2: Adult Fantasy - on hold
    MS1: YA Contemporary Fantasy - shelved
    Twitter * Website

practical experience, FTW JFitchett92's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post
    Hi, JFitchett, and thanks!! BTW, how is the baby girl? How old now?
    Nearly 10 months now, how time flies. She's a stunner though, just like her mother and big sisters

Nearly 10 months now, how time flies. She's a stunner though, just like her mother and big sisters
    Aw, that's lovely to hear.
    Twitter * Website

practical experience, FTW JKRowley's Avatar
    How lucky is JFitchett to live amongst so much beauty?

I got a couple likes on a late #PitMad entry, and have been reviewing my first few chapters before submitting. Now I am wondering if I want to give the entire manuscript a little scrub. It has been revised and through betas, but it can always be a little bit better. Am I crazy? Is this some sort of submission fear? How long can I put off responding to a #PitMad request? Is it like other requests where the agent wants the book as polished as possible?
    Jill
    Divided Moon - 2012 - Solstice Publishing
    Gangbanger - 2016 - Solstice Publishing

Facebook - facebook.com/JillVanDenEng
    Twitter - @MoonOverMadison
    Instagram - jill.vandeneng
    Blog - http://jillysbookblog.blogspot.com

practical experience, FTW CoffeeBeans's Avatar
    Haven't checked in for a while, but just wanted to congratulate Ragged ^_^
    Hi! Glad you stopped in! Hope all is good

Quote Originally Posted by JKRowley View Post
    I got a couple likes on a late #PitMad entry, and have been reviewing my first few chapters before submitting. Now I am wondering if I want to give the entire manuscript a little scrub. It has been revised and through betas, but it can always be a little bit better. Am I crazy? Is this some sort of submission fear? How long can I put off responding to a #PitMad request? Is it like other requests where the agent wants the book as polished as possible?
    There's something reassuring in the "but I can still make it better" thought. I am nothing like a perfectionist, so I imagine it's even worse for people who are, but I can convince myself everything will be better next draft (or more realistically, next MS...)

Yes they expect it to be polished. Send the dang thing anyway!

I'm editing now.... I made it 150 pages on paper last night. I'm debating applying those changes next (to feel accomplished in any way) or powering through the rest of the MS on paper first. Why did I write 400 pages? That was a terrible idea. There's only one way to get through this.

I have good news!!
    First of all, I received an email saying that my pre-order of fellow AWer S.F, Henson's book DEVILS WITHIN will be shipped earlier than estimated - on Oct 31st, no less, which also happens to be the release date of my own YA, Mick & Michelle
    Second, said Mick & Michelle is now available on Netgalley for those of you who are interested (and if you request, are approved, but don't like the book... I'll never know!!)
    Third, and maybe most importantly: I got a contract with a Norwegian publisher for my Norwegian YA It's NOT a publishing contract yet, but a 'development of project' contract that comes with a NICE ADVANCE that I get to keep IF they ultimately decide not to publish the book. I will obviously do my utmost to polish it and get a full publishing contract! (Publishing contracts here follow an industry standard that pays the author a fixed advance upon signing a publishing contract. This advance is pretty large, which is why many publishers offer 'development contracts' as the first stage). Oh, and this news is TOP SECRET outside this forum and some trusted friends, so - I don't want to jinx anything!
    Blog * Twitter * Goodreads * Facebook

Projects:
    #Untitled - YA - 50K - subbed
    S and S - dual POV YA - working on it!
    F+B - YA - rewrite next?
    ATB - multi-POV YA - 80K - shelved

Published YAs:
    SUPERMASSIVE (2014)
    FJORD BLUE (2016)
    MICK & MICHELLE - October 31, 2017. Pre-order available!
    Get them at Amazon and Harmony Ink Press +++

Wow! Congratulations Ellaroni! Sounds like you're living the dream 😁😁😁

Quote Originally Posted by JKRowley View Post
    How lucky is JFitchett to live amongst so much beauty?
    And how unlucky are they to have to put up with me? 😛

Quote Originally Posted by Ellaroni View Post
    I have good news!!
    I'll say you do! Congratulations and good luck!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

NANOWRIMO '17!: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    Twitter (barely)

practical experience, FTW KiwiLady's Avatar
    Ellaroni - congratulations!!! So much good news in this forum lately. I love it!
    WIP - YA Fantasy...plotting finished, about to start writing
    Tainted Copper - Querying

My website
    Twitter
    Facebook

YAY Ellaroni, what great news! (all of it, but that third bit especially!) We'll keep very quiet but for the applause.

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/ Beanie5's Avatar
    bra bra hemst myket bra
    Live a poem. Or die a fool^

Ellaroni - That's FANTASTIC!!! Over the moon for you!
    Twitter * Website

A place where dreams are born Bookgirl2021's Avatar
    In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiLady View Post
    Ellaroni - congratulations!!! So much good news in this forum lately. I love it!
    ^This.

I wish I had some good news of my own, but I don't. I just found out because of budget issues at work they're cutting my hours by a little over 1/3, which is *great* news considering I'm going to have a whole bunch of medical expenses coming up. /sarcasm

I also talked with my grad school program director today, because I'm feeling totally overwhelmed and health issues are crazy and...lots of stuff, and it was decided that I'm going to do an emergency withdrawal from the semester. In some ways it feels like giving up and letting myself fail; at the same time, I know I need to figure out what's wrong with my body before I can make any real progress in school, and it's better to do it this way than to fail my classes. This also gives me time to consider if this program really is right for me. If it is, I can jump back into it in the spring or summer. If not, I haven't devoted a lot of time and money into something that's not right for me. So I guess that's not exactly bad news, just kind of disappointed-in-self news.
    But seriously, congratulations and happiness to everyone with exciting stuff going on!
    Last edited by Bookgirl2021; 09-16-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    "Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." ~Gene Fowler
    WIPs
    Awaking Melody: Version VII Revisions 37/87K

Mirror Effect: 2K/65K On hold

OLS: Editing

My Website

Got an agent request for a full manuscript for my latest book. Anxiously awaiting her decision now. The request was out of the first ten agents I sent to, so I'm telling myself it's a good sign even if it ends up in rejection.
    Book 1 in my YA Fantasy series, 'A Darker Shade of Sorcery' is FREE.

Pick up a copy here
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=1&*entries*=0

Thank You

Evan Umbra is the newest Venator to enter Veneseron, the school for demon hunters.

A Venator is a wizard, a spy and a demon hunter rolled into one. They’re taught how to wield their sorcery and enchanted weaponry by orcs, elfpires and aliens alike...

Quote Originally Posted by Will Collins View Post
    Got an agent request for a full manuscript for my latest book. Anxiously awaiting her decision now. The request was out of the first ten agents I sent to, so I'm telling myself it's a good sign even if it ends up in rejection.
    Excellent news! Good luck!

Twitter (barely)

Thanks Edutton.
    Book 1 in my YA Fantasy series, 'A Darker Shade of Sorcery' is FREE.

Pick up a copy here
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=1&*entries*=0

Thank You

Evan Umbra is the newest Venator to enter Veneseron, the school for demon hunters.

A Venator is a wizard, a spy and a demon hunter rolled into one. They’re taught how to wield their sorcery and enchanted weaponry by orcs, elfpires and aliens alike...

Thanks for the support, guys I signed the contract, so will do my first real celebration once the advance is in my bank account.
    So much good news in here these days, so fingers crossed for everyone (WillC in particular this week, with a full out!)
    Blog * Twitter * Goodreads * Facebook

Projects:
    #Untitled - YA - 50K - subbed
    S and S - dual POV YA - working on it!
    F+B - YA - rewrite next?
    ATB - multi-POV YA - 80K - shelved

Published YAs:
    SUPERMASSIVE (2014)
    FJORD BLUE (2016)
    MICK & MICHELLE - October 31, 2017. Pre-order available!
    Get them at Amazon and Harmony Ink Press +++

Bookgirl - I'm sorry to hear that medical issues have derailed your school plans. That's never easy. However, it sounds like you need this for several reasons and stepping away was wise. I hope the time away helps you figure everything out. Sorry, too, about the job situation.

Will - Congrats on the full request!! Great job!

Ellaroni - Keep us updated. I'm super excited for you!!

As for me, I signed with the offering agent and I'm really pleased. More info at my Twitter or fledgling website for those who are curious.
    Twitter * Website

Folks, it's vacation time. I am stupidly excited. Leaving tomorrow for more than a week abroad and then back in time for New York Comicon. You would not believe how insane my packing looked...

I hope to return to loads more good news from the OPWFTs!

Turning the monsters loose borogove's Avatar
    CoffeeBeans already knows this, as she got my excited email earlier today, but I'm officially done with second-draft edits and have sent off the manuscript for its first round of beta reading! My husband served as my alpha reader, and I've had a couple of friends read partials, but this is the first time the whole kit and caboodle has gone out en masse (seven readers this time).

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel mildly nauseated hitting the Send button. It was a lot easier sharing the earliest — and very flawed — drafts, but now that I've reworked a lot of it, I'm so much more invested in it. I look back at the version I shared for the Beta Project, as well as the partial I sent to my first reader, and am relieved I didn't stop there. I know there's more work ahead of me, but hopefully it's less than what lies behind me.

Things I've learned in the past nine months of work: queries are a magical tool for helping me figure out what the hell is going wrong in my manuscript; ponying up for a Writer's Digest agent critique of your first chapter is worth it; even if you say no to every non-writer friend who asks if they can read your WIP, people will still ask repeatedly; don't write your ideas/edits on random scraps of paper you find in your purse because you will definitely lose them.
    "Muriel Spark is said to have felt that she was taking dictation from God every morning — sitting there, one supposes, plugged into a Dictaphone, typing away, humming. But this is a very hostile and aggressive position. One might hope for bad things to rain down on a person like this." — Anne Lamott

Hey, Coffee, before you go - Just thought I'd mention Barnes & Noble's teen blog has an article about YA cult books that might answer your question from earlier. Otherwise, have a fabulous trip! I hope we get some details when you return (and about Comicon!)

borogove - Great job finishing!! And sending!! I was terrified to get beta readers at first.
    Twitter * Website

A place where dreams are born Bookgirl2021's Avatar
    In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post
    Bookgirl - I'm sorry to hear that medical issues have derailed your school plans. That's never easy. However, it sounds like you need this for several reasons and stepping away was wise. I hope the time away helps you figure everything out. Sorry, too, about the job situation.
    Thanks. It's been frustrating, but I'm feeling less stressed now. Of course, getting to go to Salt Lake Comic Con and meet Dick Van Dyke, Catherine Tate, and John Barrowman may have helped with that. ...Especially meeting Dick Van Dyke. I was walking on air for an hour or two afterwards.
    "Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." ~Gene Fowler
    WIPs
    Awaking Melody: Version VII Revisions 37/87K

Mirror Effect: 2K/65K On hold

OLS: Editing

My Website

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I actually told myself I couldn't write high school students back when I was in college since I was too old. That was 1999. In 2016 I finished my first novel, a YA scifi novel. It's amazing the things we tell ourselves why we won't be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperchord24 View Post
    I actually told myself I couldn't write high school students back when I was in college since I was too old. That was 1999. In 2016 I finished my first novel, a YA scifi novel. It's amazing the things we tell ourselves why we won't be successful.
    I know what you mean. I've had so many days where I've wanted to just give up writing, but I've nearly finished my first novel. It's taken 5 years but I like to think it's because I have a little Douglas Adams in me.

Page 601 of 604 FirstFirst ... 101351501526551576591595596597598599600601602603604 LastLast