AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 604 of 604 FirstFirst ... 104354504529554579594598599600601602603604
Results 15,076 to 15,095 of 15095

Thread: "Old" People Writing for Teens V

practical experience, FTW darrtwish's Avatar
    Happy NaNo to those participating! I won't be-- NaNo makes me anxious just looking at it. I've failed enough times to know that it's not for me. I am writing again, for the first time in months though.

No NaNo for me this year - I'm editing on a deadline, and coincidentally the deadline is the end of November or early December, so in a way I'm NaNoing, I guess.
    GOOD LUCK to those participating!

In other news, the book that started as my 2015 (?) Beta project was published yesterday
    Blog * Twitter * Goodreads * Facebook

Projects:
    #Untitled - YA - 50K - subbed
    S and S - dual POV YA - working on it!
    F+B - YA - rewrite next?
    ATB - multi-POV YA - 80K - shelved

Published YAs:
    SUPERMASSIVE (2014)
    FJORD BLUE (2016)
    MICK & MICHELLE - October 31, 2017. Pre-order available!
    Get them at Amazon and Harmony Ink Press +++

Quote Originally Posted by Ellaroni View Post
    In other news, the book that started as my 2015 (?) Beta project was published yesterday
    Congratulations! I took a look at it, and decided to buy it, because I'm outlining a novel about a trans girl, and want to keep up on what other people are putting out there.
    I have a few short stories on my website: DanaeCMcBurney.weebly.com

Hey, I missed this! Congrats!
    Write the change you want to see in the world!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

PREPARING TO SUB: One of the Lucky Ones (YA) - Soundtrack, Moodboard
    NANOWRIMO '17!: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    PONDERING: Lion of Andalus (historical)
    Twitter (barely)

Now with bonus eyelashes AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Congrats, Ellaroni!
    Paranormal Bromance and Joy (PB&J) - NaNoWriMo - 40,596 words

"This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."

practical experience, FTW CoffeeBeans's Avatar
    Such great news! Congrats!

I love when you add an element you hadn't planned on, just to cause conflict in the scene, and then you have to incorporate the element later on and it's a beautiful thing, and then you realize exactly how it's going to affect your climax, and you're all in

"This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I love when you add an element you hadn't planned on, just to cause conflict in the scene, and then you have to incorporate the element later on and it's a beautiful thing, and then you realize exactly how it's going to affect your climax, and you're all in
    That is fun!

The antagonist in my first book started out life as literally just a name drop in the second chapter... then she started showing up on the edges of important scenes, then finally jumped up and down waving her hand, going "Notice me, senpai!"
    Write the change you want to see in the world!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

PREPARING TO SUB: One of the Lucky Ones (YA) - Soundtrack, Moodboard
    NANOWRIMO '17!: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    PONDERING: Lion of Andalus (historical)
    Twitter (barely)

practical experience, FTW JFitchett92's Avatar
    Hey,

I did post something, but it appears to have deleted itself? My phone threw up some weird error while I was trying to edit it so who knows :/

So I'm finally buckling and giving Scrivener a go. I've been using OpenOffice for the last 5-6 years (ever since I started writing) and my note-taking and general outlining is, and always has been, an absolute state. I rely on my noggin too much, so I figure I need a space to actually put stuff down as I'm almost certain one day I'm going to forget everything. Giving the trial a go to see how I get on with it, if I like it this may be the first christmas I actually know what I want.

practical experience, FTW CoffeeBeans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edutton View Post
    then she started showing up on the edges of important scenes, then finally jumped up and down waving her hand, going "Notice me, senpai!"
    How can you not notice her!? (I have an increasingly name-and-personality filled cast of background characters who better turn out to be useful at some point...)

JFitchett92, I love Scrivener but I seem to never use it for notes. I keep my references handy in the research section, but I mostly love the way it allows me to structure my MS and visually represents my progress. The good part about it is how flexible is it. Hope you enjoy it! If you find something difficult, there are a bunch of great youtube tuts about using it effectively.

I have a lot of words for nano, but I'm hoping they are making a story. We'll see.

Scrivener is amazing for major structural edits, the way I did with Taylor-Made. The notecards and color-coordinating are my savior during the Beta Project. I also like how I can have things in the same file that aren't being counted towards my word count. In this case, I have 10K words I brought from another novel to start off this novel, but they're all outside the "Manuscript" folder, so they aren't counted towards my NaNo words.

My first 30 minutes of Scrivener have already made my mind up, purely for the tracking and being able to see the whole MS at a glance. Plus being able to split the screen and have the MS on one side and my outline on the other is going to be crazy helpful. And to think I've only scratched the surface...

Wondering how long I should wait before following up with an agent who requested a full? Is four weeks okay?
    Book 1 in my YA Fantasy series, 'A Darker Shade of Sorcery' is FREE.

Pick up a copy here
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=1&*entries*=0

Thank You

Evan Umbra is the newest Venator to enter Veneseron, the school for demon hunters.

A Venator is a wizard, a spy and a demon hunter rolled into one. They’re taught how to wield their sorcery and enchanted weaponry by orcs, elfpires and aliens alike...

practical experience, FTW Antipode91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Collins View Post
    Wondering how long I should wait before following up with an agent who requested a full? Is four weeks okay?
    Janet Reid suggests 6-8 weeks.

If they didn't give a time, I'd say 3 months is expected.

Ah okay, thanks guys. I'll wait a bit.
    Book 1 in my YA Fantasy series, 'A Darker Shade of Sorcery' is FREE.

Pick up a copy here
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=1&*entries*=0

Thank You

Evan Umbra is the newest Venator to enter Veneseron, the school for demon hunters.

A Venator is a wizard, a spy and a demon hunter rolled into one. They’re taught how to wield their sorcery and enchanted weaponry by orcs, elfpires and aliens alike...

I love my niece, who we're babysitting this week while her parents are in Costa Rica. But when the time changed, I started this great habit of getting up an hour earlier and using the early hours before anyone was up and I went to work to get some quiet writing time down. My problem is that in my parents house, I have trouble finding a comfortable place to write that's also distraction-free. They watch TV all day long, so the couch is never distraction-free, and tables can irritate my tendinitis. So getting up at 5:30 to knock out some words on the couch was really nice. And only once in a while did that mean Mom was up because sis was coming over with the baby. But the baby's on my schedule, so getting up at 5:30 means she's running around the room wanting to see what I'm doing and poking at my keyboard. Even if she's not interested in me, Disney Jr. is on and Mom's playing with her, so my writing space is ruined, and so my motivation to bother getting up that early has just flown out the door.

I know it's a temporary thing, and there are plenty of writer parents who have to deal with when to write, but, damn, I just developed the good habit, and I know it doesn't take much for me to lose them.

ION, I went to the 2016 favorite lines thread for NaNo and read through them, and I had some really beautiful writing in last year's work. I really should revisit it some time.

My boys are always fun to write about, but I really suck at everything beyond banter and feelings for them.

@Sage: As a writer parent, I know the struggle all to well. I have found recently that writing at a table is better for me in regards to concentration, but my big headphones help me write almost anywhere 99% distraction free (I am a serial people-watcher)

I'm really not liking the current scene I'm writing because I feel my MC is too passive. It makes sense that she wouldn't be making commands and leading because it's a battle scene and she's a novice fighter at best, but it's in first person and she mostly speaks in her thoughts rather than communicating with everyone else in the scene.

I'm feeling blocked by it, and now I just want to finish it so I can move on to her more active scenes.

Hope you've gotten to an easier, scene, JF!

So day 16 of NaNo is the day when everything came together. I know the bad guy's motivation, and I know how the climax is more or less going to go down. I still have to get there. Even with the 10K opening that's not part of NaNo, I'm only at 38K, so there's a lot more to go. I feel like the story's moving a little fast, but goodness knows, I'm great at detouring my novels.

Page 604 of 604 FirstFirst ... 104354504529554579594598599600601602603604