Status
Not open for further replies.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Hopping on board the doubt train myself now 

I love my story, my wife says I love it more than her sometimes, but the more I write the more I feel this story has already been written. It's a classic 'resistance' story that was popular among YA a few years ago, but I wanted a mostly grey cast to make it a little less cliche, so there's no true good/evil characters (my MC is about to kill hundreds for what she feels is right, only for it to blow up in her face).
There are no new stories. Surely there was something missing last time you read it, or something that you're putting a unique twist on? Sometimes just a more inclusive take on an old trope works, especially if that involves previously unrepresented points of view that change the choices characters make.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my four hour drive home for the holidays to realize I'm the first person here. I don't have a key for the new front door and the rest of the family won't be here for more than two hours.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my four hour drive home for the holidays to realize I'm the first person here. I don't have a key for the new front door and the rest of the family won't be here for more than two hours.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Oops :p

Just dropping in to wish everyone the best over the holiday season. Stay safe, eat well and be merry!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling overwhelmed with deadlines!

Every day is a new Countdown story, so there's always the pressure to do that (through the end of the year). It's fun, but it becomes the first deadline for me each day because I have always tried to stay on top of it when possible.

I have 4 books to go to reach my 100 book goal. Unless I stick to novellas (I think I have four of them somewhere), I'll probably be missing this deadline, and that knowledge makes me inclined to not bother.

I signed up for the Sisyphus challenge. It's not due until March, so I'm okay to chill for a short time, but I know how hard it is to write these things (for whatever reason, compared to a daily Countdown story).

I'm applying to two promotions in the lab, and they want letter of intents for both. I had one down (lab supervisor). I feel like that's probably the way I want to go because I love working in the lab and I'd like to be on a path of supervisor --> floor coordinator --> lab manager. But, after talking to the current QA coordinator (who's about to take another role), I'm not certain I wouldn't enjoy the other position, which is a QA position. There's a QA director opening as well, but they're not going to promote someone to that without some lab QA experience. But if they hire externally, will that position be a dead end? And will I miss the lab too much? It's weird to be in a place where promotions are actually possible after 12 years in a lab where the only promotion you got was a new number after your title and an extra dollar per hour, and it's hard to plan out the path I want because I'm unsure what will open up in the future. This lab has had a lot of turnover, but that doesn't mean positions I want will open up or will open up when I have the prerequisites for them. It's not something I've had to worry about before.

Anyway, because I decided to apply to both, I have to change my first letter of intent to still be enthusiastic without closing off other paths in that enthusiasm. I have until the 5th on these, but I'll probably send them this weekend.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone had a nice, relaxed Christmas :)

I got Scrivener as a present ^_^ so I've been having a little play around with that today. I've imported SL and it's interesting seeing all the data side by side. I've almost finished this editing pass, and the new extended ending is almost completely outlined so I'd like to think I could have it beta ready by the end of 2018 :D

@Sage: Sounds like you've got your hands full. How the hell do you have time for all this?! I hope you get the promotion you want though :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
JF, Scrivener's fun to play around with! Does that mean you're going to participate in the Beta Project this year?

---

As I put together my QAA cover letter (which I'm feeling really good about!), I feel like I should retackle the lab supervisor one. I get nervous moving beyond the wording that was so well complimented when I applied for things previously, but it's important to personalize, and I have more applicable experiences since I applied for the project manager position back in March. Lab supervisor seems so obvious, though. I want to say, "Hey, look at my work in the lab. Also, I'm the most senior person who's not a supervisor. I have 13(!) years experience. I'm the only one without a supervisor myself. You should have promoted me when the other supervisors left/got promoted months ago." But you can't say that in a cover letter.

Also, I love my workplace, but I should have gone to the interview for the manager position at the City. I didn't because the interview was a few months into this job and I was feeling overwhelmed with the differences between my old job and new one. How could I manage anyone?! But I should have tried.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Woo, met my reading and Countdown goals! I also applied to those two promotions, so that's done.

Next (non-chorus) deadline isn't until March, so I have some time on my Sisyphus story. Of course, what am I working on? A story for a different Sisyphus person because I got seduced by their prompt. Hopefully I knock that out so I can focus on my official one. I don't know what it is about this event that throws me off and makes it impossible to write, even when I love the prompt. Siiiiigh.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year folks. I hope 2018 is a good one for all of us.

Congrats on meeting your goals Sage!

I've been super unproductive. I printed out the first half of the nano (the only half that exists) to sort the wheat from the chaff, but who knows how much wheat is in there? That's my airplane project since I'm going with my parents to visit my mom's family and check on the farm.

I'm half-hearted with the nano because I'm waiting to hear back from agents for two different things (one crit, the other from #pitmad) and I'm really hoping someone responds while I'm away. I want to reply that I took so long because I needed to wait for wifi in my family's remote Greek town where I was picking olives to respond to an email about my Greek-American MCs novel. All because I really love a (true) cultural cliche.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Happy New Year, OPWFTers! :partyguy:

Congrats on applying for the promotions, Sage, and for meeting your goals. When are you thinking of holding the Beta Project? It'll give me a good incentive for diving back into my WIP again. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I usually do it in the spring or summer. Gives NaNoers a chance to polish their novels up a little (or Camp NaNoers a chance to thrown in something for alpha reading).

ETA: Also I like doing it around my birthday. This year I shouldn't have a surprise birthday trip sprung on me, since I'll have no vacation left after March

Last edited:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I did absolutely zero things that are writing related (except a beta read or two) in the last quarter, but on the plus side I've baked a lot of bread... :)

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year, folks!

I have been so quiet here lately I'm not sure I remember what was going on the last time I was here.
Anyway, it's lovely to catch up a bit :)

I started two new projects a few days ago, and I'm writing a little on both until I find out which one I want to work on first. Unusual for me, I don't know the ending of one of the projects yet - and I have never before started writing a project I didn't know the ending of!

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
It's official: I've started querying. Started with a moon shot — uberselective agent, loooong/no response times, never gonna happen — to ease my nerves a bit. My hypothesis is that starting with the most nerve-racking one means submitting can only get less stressful. Right?

*slurps her martini, laughs nervously*

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Why not? I usually do a mix of long-shots and/or slower responders, and newer and/or fast-responders in my first batch. Good luck!

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: It's been a while because of doctor appointments and holidays and such, so I wanted to pop in to say hi, give an update, and catch up on the thread. After months of dealing with a bunch of medical issues, I'm having surgery next week. Hopefully that will help. If I'm not too out of it, I'm hoping to get work done on revisions. That POV character is still being difficult, so I've decided to skip his chapters for the time being.

Good luck with everything, guys! It seems like there's a lot of things to look forward to hearing about!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with things like NaNo and the Countdown is that you get seduced into thinking that you should have some sort of online kudos for writing in a given day. Yesterday was about 1K, but there's nowhere to update a graph or post right away and hope someone likes it. I'm into my story, but I get up in the morning and rush online, only to remember that nobody's sharing the words or progress with me

:e2apple:

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
Followed up my initial query with a batch of seven last night — and got a partial request this morning! I may have sworn loudly enough when I saw the first line of the email that I attracted my coworkers' attention. Oops.

An hour later, I got my first rejection (from a different agent). Didn't sting too much after starting the morning with a request.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
The problem with things like NaNo and the Countdown is that you get seduced into thinking that you should have some sort of online kudos for writing in a given day. Yesterday was about 1K, but there's nowhere to update a graph or post right away and hope someone likes it. I'm into my story, but I get up in the morning and rush online, only to remember that nobody's sharing the words or progress with me

:e2apple:

This is one of the biggest changes I noticed going from collaborative to solo writing. I definitely feel like if I were accountable to somebody for words completed per week I would get more writing done. I'm thinking of starting a Facebook group and inviting Writing Majors from my school to be workshop partners.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! Happy New Year! Hope everyone finds lots of health and happiness and laughter in 2018. I know I have not been around a lot, but 2017 was not my favorite year. I mean, me and my husband and daughters and dad were all in good health, so in the end it was a great year. But...there was very little writing time, a job that has become more and more stressful, was unable to buy a house we really loved and had to back out on the contract because we realized we would become completely house poor, many frustrations in our new apartment, struggles with my girls adjusting to middle school, and my mother passed away a few weeks ago. We weren't really close in recent years (we had a very strange and turbulent relationship due to her alcoholism), but it's still sad. In any event, I'm looking forward to a great 2018 and trying to focus on the positive and dedicate more time to writing. I am determined to finish my horror and get it beta read this year. Maybe even query it.

Hope everyone is doing well! I will try to pop on more to see what's going on and keep up with y'all.

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a way to check notifications? I got a notice for a notification but when I clicked on it, it disappeared. I don't know who it was from or what it said. I know how to get to my PMs, but not the notifications sent from the little star on the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.