AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 588 of 604 FirstFirst ... 88338488513538563578582583584585586587588589590591592593594598 ... LastLast
Results 14,676 to 14,700 of 15095

Thread: "Old" People Writing for Teens V

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.M. View Post
    I'm writing contemporary YA for the first time and its tough. Its a story that doesn't want to leave me alone, but I find myself asking basic questions. I assume its okay to reference contemporary movies and video games?
    PERSONAL OPINION ALERT
    My gut feeling is you want to be careful with using too many references that tie your story to the absolutely current moment, lest in five years it starts to feel dated.... as an example, Warcraft or Final Fantasy are probably okay b/c they've permeated the wider culture to a degree, and have shown staying power; Overwatch, maybe not as much (I'm using myself as a guideline here - I'm not a gamer at all, and I have a basic awareness of WoW and FF while I've only heard of Overwatch due to passing mentions in one podcast I listen to).

Or: my 16yo tells me that she and most of her peers are moving off Tumblr already (to Instagram and Snapchat), and we all know that only old people use Facebook...
    Write the change you want to see in the world!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

PREPARING TO SUB: One of the Lucky Ones (YA) - Soundtrack, Moodboard
    NANOWRIMO '17!: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    PONDERING: Lion of Andalus (historical)
    Twitter (barely)

A.P.M: I agree with most of edutton's points. I don't think Facebook is completely obsolete even among teens, though - but they use it differently than us oldies. My students use it to a)chat and b)watch an endless stream of videos. In class They never post anything, far as I know, and often don't have profile pictures or any personal info.
    Snapchat is THE medium for everything these days, it seems.
    Blog * Twitter * Goodreads * Facebook

Projects:
    #Untitled - YA - 50K - subbed
    S and S - dual POV YA - working on it!
    F+B - YA - rewrite next?
    ATB - multi-POV YA - 80K - shelved

Published YAs:
    SUPERMASSIVE (2014)
    FJORD BLUE (2016)
    MICK & MICHELLE - October 31, 2017. Pre-order available!
    Get them at Amazon and Harmony Ink Press +++

practical experience, FTW A.P.M.'s Avatar
    Yeah, it feels like there's a fine line between having your book feel timeless and making it feel super relevant to teens today. I suppose I can do things like say "the new Zelda game" instead of specifying "Breath of the Wild," and stuff like that?

Now with bonus eyelashes AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    We were just discussing this at work, how adults use FB and teens don't. Instagram was the verdict at the lunch table
    Paranormal Bromance and Joy (PB&J) - NaNoWriMo - 25,004 words

"This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."

Dragon of the Multiverse AW Moderator Zoombie's Avatar
    I'm of the opinion that dating yourself is fine...if you want to go whole hog with it.

Like, a friend of mine (who writes contemp urban fantasy, not YA, so it's not a 100% comparison, but some of his books have a teenage protagonist) writes stories that are very explicitly dated. They take place at 2009, or 2010, and refers to specific things at those dates.

It's like very very recent historical fiction.
    Purgatory Wars (high fantasy erotica)

The Murder Stroke: Avaliable Now!
    Riposte: Avaliable now!
    The Cross Guard: Avaliable Now!
    The Blood Groove: Avaliable Now!

Worldshard (steampunk erotica)

Cadre: 40k/40k

practical experience, FTW ManInBlack's Avatar
    I guess it's a good thing I missed the BPS deadline (or will have by the time I get to my computer): I just noticed a major pothole on the chapter I'm currently working on. Maybe I should have not been greedy and just sent in the chapters that have already been through a revision.

(Oh, and I am officially a Writing Center tutor in the Fall, and have a class on Writing Science Fiction and Film to occupy me until then.)
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 05-19-2017 at 09:26 AM.

You'd still have 2 weeks (and whatever time you need really) to fix that plothole before sending to betas. Almost 2 hours left to enter.

"This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."

practical experience, FTW ManInBlack's Avatar
    Oh, I thought that everything had to be sent in as part of the original submission. Darn, I'd have gotten my submission in ages ago if I realized that.

Just the Hook, first 750 words, and the answers to the other questions.

Beta requests will be filtered through me through (or after) June 2, but you can always tell your requestors a timeframe when you expect to have it to them.

practical experience, FTW Matt T.'s Avatar
    On the topic of social media use among young people, I've found that Snapchat is by far the most popular platform at the moment. Most of the people I know have a Facebook, and quite a few have an Instagram, but they seem to most frequently use Snapchat.

I only use Facebook at the moment, because I'm just not big on social media, but I'm considering caving and getting a Snapchat...

I've gotten a lot of people telling me that they love the entries I chose for them to crit, & it just makes me so happy!

I need to get around to reading the beta projects assigned to me.

BUt in my defense, I'm busy as a bee! (i'll get it done by Wendsday, though, for sure.)

You have some time. They're not due until the 1st.

It's slotting it between writing a short story a week, editing a novella, writing two more short stories (both for anthologies) while ALSO running my first only Hackmaster game!

Hackmaster is hard! The critical hit calculations is 1d8!+{[Thac15(*-1)+To Hit Bonus+]Enemy AC} for crying out loud!

Zzz. I'm exhausted from powering through revisions to the third act climax of my YA UF. Still a few chapters to go. Book is now heading for 110k. Send help.

ADD MORE DRAGONS, PARA!

My book was at 100k and then it had dragons, then it was over!

My LOGIC is SOUND.

I actually did add a dragon.

Sweet!

Now, we need to have the cross universe meeting of books, then my dragon can make out with your dragon!

Dragonception.

practical experience, FTW CoffeeBeans's Avatar
    I don't want to write things... I just want to crit BP things.

Seriously, I have a Beta Project problem.

Lol, CoffeeBeans. Let me know if you ever want another project to Beta.
    Book 1 in my YA Fantasy series, 'A Darker Shade of Sorcery' is FREE.

Pick up a copy here
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=1&*entries*=0

Thank You

Evan Umbra is the newest Venator to enter Veneseron, the school for demon hunters.

A Venator is a wizard, a spy and a demon hunter rolled into one. They’re taught how to wield their sorcery and enchanted weaponry by orcs, elfpires and aliens alike...

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBeans View Post
    I don't want to write things... I just want to crit BP things.

Seriously, I have a Beta Project problem.
    I know the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Collins View Post
    Lol, CoffeeBeans. Let me know if you ever want another project to Beta.
    Shh, don't try to steal her from the entrants. CB's one of my best BP assets

Heh, thanks Will, but there's something about only having to commit to 750... It's like snack-size beta'ing. I'll request to beta a few because I can't help myself, but this was is just the perfect procrastination.

Insert snarky comment here Kaylinn57's Avatar
    I submitted all my required crits for the BP. I feel like I probably did them completely wrong and they'll be useless to the poor people they are for, but I did them. If I have time this week, I may try and crit a few extra, but work is a little crazy so I'm not sure I'll get to.

As a first time BP participant, I'm super nervous. I'll just be over here, biting my nails and waiting.
    My Blog

My Writing
    Untitled SNI - YA Fantasy/Retelling, Planning/Plotting
    The Hero Card - YA Fantasy, Resting for a bit
    First Sight - YA Fantasy, Waiting for new inspiration

Well, I really want to crit, but I should use this time when I'm caught up on other people's Beta Project stuff to fill out my performance review paperwork, since I'm realizing that I only have today and tomorrow to do it, and I have chorus rehearsal tomorrow night

Kaylinn, somehow the beta project ends up as like a really productive but low-pressure version of SYW. I love it, and I don't venture into SYW beyond QLH... don't be nervous, it's great! Even if people have critical things to say, you'll get a good array of feedback so you'll get a good picture of your overall feedback.

Page 588 of 604 FirstFirst ... 88338488513538563578582583584585586587588589590591592593594598 ... LastLast