"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
How lucky is JFitchett to live amongst so much beauty?

I got a couple likes on a late #PitMad entry, and have been reviewing my first few chapters before submitting. Now I am wondering if I want to give the entire manuscript a little scrub. It has been revised and through betas, but it can always be a little bit better. Am I crazy? Is this some sort of submission fear? How long can I put off responding to a #PitMad request? Is it like other requests where the agent wants the book as polished as possible?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't checked in for a while, but just wanted to congratulate Ragged ^_^

Hi! Glad you stopped in! Hope all is good

I got a couple likes on a late #PitMad entry, and have been reviewing my first few chapters before submitting. Now I am wondering if I want to give the entire manuscript a little scrub. It has been revised and through betas, but it can always be a little bit better. Am I crazy? Is this some sort of submission fear? How long can I put off responding to a #PitMad request? Is it like other requests where the agent wants the book as polished as possible?

There's something reassuring in the "but I can still make it better" thought. I am nothing like a perfectionist, so I imagine it's even worse for people who are, but I can convince myself everything will be better next draft (or more realistically, next MS...)

Yes they expect it to be polished. Send the dang thing anyway!

I'm editing now.... I made it 150 pages on paper last night. I'm debating applying those changes next (to feel accomplished in any way) or powering through the rest of the MS on paper first. Why did I write 400 pages? That was a terrible idea. There's only one way to get through this. :e2coffee:

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I have good news!!
First of all, I received an email saying that my pre-order of fellow AWer S.F, Henson's book DEVILS WITHIN will be shipped earlier than estimated - on Oct 31st, no less, which also happens to be the release date of my own YA, Mick & Michelle :)
Second, said Mick & Michelle is now available on Netgalley for those of you who are interested (and if you request, are approved, but don't like the book... I'll never know!!)
Third, and maybe most importantly: I got a contract with a Norwegian publisher for my Norwegian YA :hooray: It's NOT a publishing contract yet, but a 'development of project' contract that comes with a NICE ADVANCE that I get to keep IF they ultimately decide not to publish the book. I will obviously do my utmost to polish it and get a full publishing contract! (Publishing contracts here follow an industry standard that pays the author a fixed advance upon signing a publishing contract. This advance is pretty large, which is why many publishers offer 'development contracts' as the first stage). Oh, and this news is TOP SECRET outside this forum and some trusted friends, so :Ssh: - I don't want to jinx anything!

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
Ellaroni - congratulations!!! So much good news in this forum lately. I love it!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
YAY Ellaroni, what great news! (all of it, but that third bit especially!) We'll keep very quiet but for the applause. :Clap::Clap::Clap:

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
bra bra hemst myket bra

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Ellaroni - congratulations!!! So much good news in this forum lately. I love it!
^This. :snoopy:

I wish I had some good news of my own, but I don't. I just found out because of budget issues at work they're cutting my hours by a little over 1/3, which is *great* news considering I'm going to have a whole bunch of medical expenses coming up. /sarcasm

I also talked with my grad school program director today, because I'm feeling totally overwhelmed and health issues are crazy and...lots of stuff, and it was decided that I'm going to do an emergency withdrawal from the semester. In some ways it feels like giving up and letting myself fail; at the same time, I know I need to figure out what's wrong with my body before I can make any real progress in school, and it's better to do it this way than to fail my classes. This also gives me time to consider if this program really is right for me. If it is, I can jump back into it in the spring or summer. If not, I haven't devoted a lot of time and money into something that's not right for me. So I guess that's not exactly bad news, just kind of disappointed-in-self news.
But seriously, congratulations and happiness to everyone with exciting stuff going on!:hooray:

Last edited:

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Got an agent request for a full manuscript for my latest book. Anxiously awaiting her decision now. The request was out of the first ten agents I sent to, so I'm telling myself it's a good sign even if it ends up in rejection. :)

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support, guys :heart::heart: I signed the contract, so will do my first real celebration once the advance is in my bank account.
So much good news in here these days, so fingers crossed for everyone :) (WillC in particular this week, with a full out!)

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Bookgirl - I'm sorry to hear that medical issues have derailed your school plans. That's never easy. However, it sounds like you need this for several reasons and stepping away was wise. I hope the time away helps you figure everything out. Sorry, too, about the job situation. :Hug2:

Will - Congrats on the full request!! Great job!

Ellaroni - Keep us updated. I'm super excited for you!!

As for me, I signed with the offering agent and I'm really pleased. More info at my Twitter or fledgling website for those who are curious. :)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Folks, it's vacation time. I am stupidly excited. Leaving tomorrow for more than a week abroad and then back in time for New York Comicon. You would not believe how insane my packing looked...

I hope to return to loads more good news from the OPWFTs!

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
CoffeeBeans already knows this, as she got my excited email earlier today, but I'm officially done with second-draft edits and have sent off the manuscript for its first round of beta reading! My husband served as my alpha reader, and I've had a couple of friends read partials, but this is the first time the whole kit and caboodle has gone out en masse (seven readers this time).

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel mildly nauseated hitting the Send button. It was a lot easier sharing the earliest — and very flawed — drafts, but now that I've reworked a lot of it, I'm so much more invested in it. I look back at the version I shared for the Beta Project, as well as the partial I sent to my first reader, and am relieved I didn't stop there. I know there's more work ahead of me, but hopefully it's less than what lies behind me.

Things I've learned in the past nine months of work: queries are a magical tool for helping me figure out what the hell is going wrong in my manuscript; ponying up for a Writer's Digest agent critique of your first chapter is worth it; even if you say no to every non-writer friend who asks if they can read your WIP, people will still ask repeatedly; don't write your ideas/edits on random scraps of paper you find in your purse because you will definitely lose them.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Coffee, before you go - Just thought I'd mention Barnes & Noble's teen blog has an article about YA cult books that might answer your question from earlier. Otherwise, have a fabulous trip! I hope we get some details when you return (and about Comicon!)

borogove - Great job finishing!! And sending!! :Thumbs: I was terrified to get beta readers at first.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Bookgirl - I'm sorry to hear that medical issues have derailed your school plans. That's never easy. However, it sounds like you need this for several reasons and stepping away was wise. I hope the time away helps you figure everything out. Sorry, too, about the job situation. :Hug2:

Thanks. It's been frustrating, but I'm feeling less stressed now. Of course, getting to go to Salt Lake Comic Con and meet Dick Van Dyke, Catherine Tate, and John Barrowman may have helped with that. ...Especially meeting Dick Van Dyke. I was walking on air for an hour or two afterwards. :greenie

hyperchord24

Registered
Reaction score
I actually told myself I couldn't write high school students back when I was in college since I was too old. That was 1999. In 2016 I finished my first novel, a YA scifi novel. It's amazing the things we tell ourselves why we won't be successful.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I actually told myself I couldn't write high school students back when I was in college since I was too old. That was 1999. In 2016 I finished my first novel, a YA scifi novel. It's amazing the things we tell ourselves why we won't be successful.

I know what you mean. I've had so many days where I've wanted to just give up writing, but I've nearly finished my first novel. It's taken 5 years but I like to think it's because I have a little Douglas Adams in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.