red poppies in a field

Remember

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 590 of 590 FirstFirst ... 90340490515540565580584585586587588589590
Results 14,726 to 14,734 of 14734

Thread: "Old" People Writing for Teens V

If you hadn't found a copy in Google Drive, it would have been worth right-clicking the file on the Dropbox website and looking at the version history. Dropbox keeps snapshots of a file going back thirty days by default. So you could probably have downloaded a copy from yesterday and only lost one day's work. Just FYI.

Insert snarky comment here Kaylinn57's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    If you hadn't found a copy in Google Drive, it would have been worth right-clicking the file on the Dropbox website and looking at the version history. Dropbox keeps snapshots of a file going back thirty days by default. So you could probably have downloaded a copy from yesterday and only lost one day's work. Just FYI.
    Para you are an amazing person! Thanks to you, I actually found the version from yesterday with all of my notes still intact. Thank you so much! I thought there must have been a way to see past versions I just didn't have a clue how to find the past versions. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

And thanks to everyone for the sympathy/empathy. That was a close call.
    My Blog

My Writing
    Untitled SNI - YA Fantasy/Retelling, Planning/Plotting
    The Hero Card - YA Fantasy, Resting for a bit
    First Sight - YA Fantasy, Waiting for new inspiration

Glad to help! Dropbox is my best friend!

A place where dreams are born Bookgirl2021's Avatar
    In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
    Quote Originally Posted by edutton View Post
    I'm having sympathetic heart palpitations! Wow... very happy you still have your text, but losing all those notes has got to hurt.
    This was me, too. When I got onto the next page and saw you were able to get it back it was like I could breathe again. I've had it happen where I lost everything but what I had written down in notebooks. It made me very grateful for hard copies, and I've printed things out every time I get off the computer ever since then.
    "Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." ~Gene Fowler
    WIPs
    Awaking Melody: Version VII Revisions 29/87K

Mirror Effect: 2K/65K On hold

OLS: Editing

My Website

practical experience, FTW travelgal's Avatar
    Talk about a close call, Kaylinn! Good luck with your revisions.
    Legion-140k science fantasy-looking for a beta or three.

D-Grade Person-90k YA set in 1979-80-finished first draft.

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    I was wondering today if I could rewrite my WIP if I lost it. I don't think I could. I have four flash drives I update sequentially backing up my WIP. One is hidden where I hide my notebook computer when I'm not at home. Burglaries in this neighborhood are unfortunately increasing. Another is in a bathroom behind two closed solid wood doors that have a 30 minute burn through rating in case I have a house fire. Another stays in my purse and the fourth travels in my pocket when I leave the house.

I also have backup printed copies of every chapter but those are not updated. I could though, rewrite my WIP from them.

The closer to finishing my WIP the more protective I am about keeping copies.

I've lost files before and learned you can recover some lost files by gaining access to the corrupted part of your hard drive. If a writer loses files, don't give up until you've exhausted your options. Sometimes there is a way to recover lost files.

For anyone who has lost even a fraction of your WIP, you have my utmost sympathy.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 05-27-2017 at 11:19 AM.

practical experience, FTW Matt T.'s Avatar
    What I do is regularly make backups of my project and then spread it across my email accounts and devices. So I'll throw copies on my desktop computer and the tiny laptop I take with me on my commute, send copies to both of my email addresses (which means it'll be in both my inbox and sent folders), and I'll then download copies from my inbox onto my phone. That leaves me with a massive surplus of backups and makes it so the most I could lose is a chapter or two, depending on how long it's been since I last made a backup.

Kaylinn: Reading 'your' thread was like reading a thriller! So glad to hear you found the files.

I email my file to myself every night if I have written anything - I email two accounts. In addition, I have an automatic backup system. I also have Dropbox and OneDrive, but I don't save as often there.
    Blog * Twitter * Goodreads * Facebook

Projects:
    MICK & MICHELLE - LGBT YA - October 31st 2017, Harmony Ink Press.
    ATB - multi-POV YA - 80K - shelved
    F+B - YA - rewrite next
    #Untitled - YA - 40K - first draft almost done
    S and S - dual POV YA - working on it!

Published:
    SUPERMASSIVE - YA (2014)
    FJORD BLUE - YA (2016)
    Get them at Amazon and Harmony Ink Press +++

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylinn57 View Post
    Para you are an amazing person! Thanks to you, I actually found the version from yesterday with all of my notes still intact. Thank you so much! I thought there must have been a way to see past versions I just didn't have a clue how to find the past versions. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

And thanks to everyone for the sympathy/empathy. That was a close call.
    Write the change you want to see in the world!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

PREPARING TO SUB: One of the Lucky Ones (YA) - Soundtrack, Moodboard
    RESEARCHING: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    PONDERING: Lion of Andalus (historical)
    Twitter (barely)

Page 590 of 590 FirstFirst ... 90340490515540565580584585586587588589590