Radiological Event at Nuclear Waste Plant in New Mexico

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
"... U.S. officials were testing for radiation in air samples at the site where radioactive waste, such as plutonium used in defense research and nuclear weapon making, is dumped half a mile below ground in an ancient salt formation.

"They (air monitors) have alarmed in the past as a false positive because of malfunctions, or because of fluctuations in levels of radon (a naturally occurring radioactive gas)," Department of Energy spokesman Roger Nelson said.

"But I believe it's safe to say we've never seen a level like we are seeing. We just don't know if it's a real event, but it looks like one," he said.

It was not yet clear what caused the air-monitoring system to indicate that radioactive particles were present at unsafe levels, Nelson said..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/16/us-radiation-leak-newmexico-idUSBREA1F06Y20140216

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, literally in my backyard. Our little corner of the country has a great history with nuclear radiation. From Project Gnome to WIPP.

Though it is kind of cool seeing these signs all over the place:

Logo_iso_radiation.svg

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, literally in my backyard. Our little corner of the country has a great history with nuclear radiation. From Project Gnome to WIPP.

Though it is kind of cool seeing these signs all over the place:

Logo_iso_radiation.svg

Ah, 'danger, floating skulls! Flee for your lives!'.

Can I just say, as something of a nerd for semiotics, I hate this replacement for the classic ionising radiation sign? The trefoil is such an iconic symbol, it's a shame it was replaced with this dog's breakfast of a warning sign. It's not like everyone didn't know radiation was dangerous.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Can I just say, as something of a nerd for semiotics, I hate this replacement for the classic ionising radiation sign? The trefoil is such an iconic symbol, it's a shame it was replaced with this dog's breakfast of a warning sign. It's not like everyone didn't know radiation was dangerous.

I remember once reading they were worried people in the future thinking it was a religious sign (An angel, for example) or something.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I remember once reading they were worried people in the future thinking it was a religious sign (An angel, for example) or something.

Interesting. I don't know if the skull and crossbones is much better in that regard. It could easily be an icon of veneration.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

This is a real problem with storing anything that could be dangerous for a long time, aka "deep time." In hundreds or thousands of years, when English has changed so much the current writing reads like Beowulf (or LOLcats), what pictures, icons or other drawings can you draw to show everyone who sees it that this area is unsafe, and especially to not dig up what's underground?

Even now, "everyone" doesn't include mentally challenged or just plain ignorant and uneducated people who may get lost and find themselves in such an area, not knowing anything about radiation or what that original orange triangle meant.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Church rock is in the northern part of the state. Both project gnome and the WIPP site were/are within 30 miles of my house.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure there's no more danger here than there is at Fukushima. After all, the authorities assured us there was nothing to worry about there, and it worked out just fine.

Oh, wait...