Self Publishing and the Nuclear Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
So as you can see by my signature I self-published a short story. I did it mostly to get my name out so when I release my novel I'll have some people who know who I am. The short story is ranked #6 in short/horror/free on Amazon and #27 in free/short stories/single author. I enrolled in the KDP select program and making the story free was what shot it up the rankings. I'm not sure how common this is or if the story is doing well simply because I made it free, it obviously helps. The good thing is that people all over the world are reading my work and I've managed to grab 6 five star reviews in the process.

Select free promos aren't the near-guarantee they once were. The rankings depend a lot on how niche the particular list is. Getting on them at all is still nothing to sneeze at these days. Raw downloads tends to be a better indicator. For a short story from an unknown author, 500-1000 seems pretty strong these days.

I think a strong cover image helps, and you've got that. (I'd quibble about the text font, size, color you've selected, but that's a discussion for elsewhere.)

The number and quality of reviews you've gotten out the gate is phenomenal for my guess at the number of downloads. The pattern seems a bit unusual, so maybe some friends/acquaintances have pitched in? That's often not within your control and their hearts tend to be in the right place but some authors do experience some backlash (whether appropriate or misguided) based on this kind of appearance.

Also, from skimming both samples, I see a lot of grammatical issues. This isn't the place for detailed craft discussions, but I mention it because I'm assuming you haven't used an editor. That's understandable for shorts--I don't use one either. It's just not financially viable. But I think this level of quality may backfire some in getting your name out there with the association for quality you'd be happy with. I recommend finding some way to barter for proofing help, or investing some time in self-editing help and further passes through the manuscript. The Share Your Work forum here can also be a tremendous help if you don't have a critique option already and I see you have enough posts already to take advantage of it.

Good luck. I'm a fan of horror shorts, and I grabbed your freebie to read through when time permits.

Wormwood

Hoping to grow up one day
Registered
Reaction score
J. Tanner thanks and yes on all counts. These are the first two I've put out and the next one I put up is going through a professional editor. I had beta's read both and although they did catch a few errors mostly in grammar and punctuation some did slip through the cracks or there was disagreement about them. I also used grammarly which is fine for a basic once over, but leaves a lot to be desired when taking into account feel and style.

Both of the stories have continued to chart even after switching over to paid. As for the reviews, I think I know a couple of the people who have posted reviews, but I don't know 2/3rds at least. So that has been a positive, in fact the short one liners were both organics. As you have said I don't have much control over that and it seems that people mean well. i appreciate every review even if it causes some backlash.

I hope you like the story. I am right at the lower end of the download range you've mentioned and I've also grabbed a good number of sign-ups to my email list and I think it has to be stemming from the two shorts.

Not saying either way whether i recommend starting off your self-publishing career with short-stories, but it seemed to help me in the basics of exposure anyway.

The font size of the short will be changed, I had the same problem as a friend designed the cover.

Thanks for all of the help and comments, I really appreciate it, I am truly a baby in this world of publishing.

Micah

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
J. Tanner thanks and yes on all counts. These are the first two I've put out and the next one I put up is going through a professional editor. I had beta's read both and although they did catch a few errors mostly in grammar and punctuation some did slip through the cracks or there was disagreement about them. I also used grammarly which is fine for a basic once over, but leaves a lot to be desired when taking into account feel and style.

In a post in a different thread, Wormwood, you say you worked with beta-readers and used two different editors. Just so you know, putting your work through the free grammar-check facility at Grammarly is not at all the same as working with an editor; Grammarly is notorious for spamming people (it has its own thread in our Bewares section); and judging by the results I got when I ran some text through it, it doesn't seem very good, either.

Have you used our Share Your Work section? You might well benefit from a quick run around in there, although you will have to brace yourself before you go in.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website

It's good you're making a change. I can safely tell you that your betas are missing more than one obvious error per page if the rate in the samples holds through the remainder. That's just far too high.

Both of the stories have continued to chart even after switching over to paid.
I'm not seeing them on the paid charts, but sometimes Amazon is slow to update. Anyway, if they continue to sell you're doing really great as short fiction goes for a new author. Most people seem to sell a few here and there and need a catalog of 30+ stories to see any sort of consistent daily sales outside of erotica/romance.

So that has been a positive, in fact the short one liners were both organics.
Short isn't always a red flag. Some of the heavy reviewers are just trying to meet the minimum length and make one point. Five star reviews that are a paragraph or so with extreme hyperbole from a reviewer with no other book reviews are what sets people to wondering.

I've also grabbed a good number of sign-ups to my email list and I think it has to be stemming from the two shorts.
Starting a mailing list right out of the gate is a smart move. If I could go back in time and give myself one marketing tip about self-pubbing, that would be it.

(Funny coincidence, I'm also Jason who goes by J (not, Jay, like your story, but darned close. It was odd seeing that at the start with a handful of common suburbia details that could easily have been my childhood.))

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I've never used Grammarly, but EditMinion is a fairly decent, completely free and it seems much more trustworthy. It's by the Write or Die! people.

It's still just a spruced-up spell check and should only be treated as such, but it's a nice little tool.

Wormwood

Registered
Reaction score
OldHack I will definitely check into the share your work area, when I spoke of editors before I was talking about my novel (I believe, I don't remember the exact thread) which will be released this Spring. It is getting a little more scrutiny than my short stories do/did. The people who have gone over my shorts while they try to be thorough, they aren't professional paid editors.

Thanks for all of the comments!
Micah

Last edited:

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've never used Grammarly, but EditMinion is a fairly decent, completely free and it seems much more trustworthy. It's by the Write or Die! people.

I like EditMinion too. Like all of these automated tools, you cannot trust them wholesale, but they can highlight individual items that you miss not due to a lack of understanding, but just because you see what your brain thinks is on the page rather than what actually is on the page.

These tools benefit those with a decent grasp of grammar, and often punish those without. I see so much writing from newer writers where I'm 99% sure there are errors from following Word suggestions.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Registered
Reaction score
So I have decided to push forth with self-publishing after much deliberation and soul-searching. The novel is now with createspace and everything has started to move forward. I have started the promotions push for the launch and I know that it's going to be a long hard road.

Between my work in progress and my podcast I have been extremely busy and it helps to kill some of the time while the novel is getting published. I have been running author features and blogging regularly on my site. I have two author features coming up this week along with the release of some podcast teasers.

I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all of the kind words encouragement and advice. Hopefully I can re-pay the favors or pay it forward at the least.

Micah

Oh yeah the podcast is at theMegaPods.com and I now own my domain name at MicahAckerman.com

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Wormwood

Registered
Reaction score
So loads of news since I last posted in this thread...

First the novel is in the editing phase and it's moving slowly, but some really good minor changes have been made so far. The cover should be done this week, which will be another positive. The novel will launch in mid May. It's also in the Amazon contest.

I have released another short story which was edited and published to KDP last week. The other stories have done much better than I had expected which again is nice, but it's all about the novel at this point. I am very thankful that the short stories have drawn some interest.

lastly the podcast is up and running we've had over 500 downloads in the first day and it's available at the website and in itunes. We will feature authors in our spotlight segment so if anyone is interested please feel free to contact me.

Thanks
Micah

Wormwood

Registered
Reaction score
So now I'm pulling back the reigns on the self-publishing venture of my novel "Wormwood". I may have some really big news to report within the next week or so. I may be leaving this subforum of self-publishing...

Micah

Status
Not open for further replies.