Act Breaks for Animated TV Shows

MokoBunny

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many act breaks are usually in a kid's half hour TV show, say like Ben 10. I've read some animation TV scripts where they have 3 act breaks and some have 2. I know live action half hour shows usually have 2 acts. I'm having a harder time finding animated TV scripts to read than live action TV. I just want to be sure my spec script I'm writing fits the format.

Much obliged!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many act breaks are usually in a kid's half hour TV show, say like Ben 10. I've read some animation TV scripts where they have 3 act breaks and some have 2. I know live action half hour shows usually have 2 acts. I'm having a harder time finding animated TV scripts to read than live action TV. I just want to be sure my spec script I'm writing fits the format.

Much obliged!

If you're writing a spec it should conform to the real thing. If you can't find a script of whatever you're writing, I'd watch a bunch of eps for the breaks. As far as I know they hold to single/multi standards for half hour, but it's not my thing so don't take that as gospel or anything.

MokoBunny

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been going back and watching all the episodes of the show I'm writing for. It's got a teaser and three acts but I just wanted to be certain if there was a definite format I should be following. I haven't been able to find a script for my show but I found one for the old TMNT so I guess I'll be studying that.

But if anyone else knows, I'd appreciate it.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Is it single or multi? Not that that's definitive but it'd help.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Well, its animation so it's done with a computer, not cameras lol :e2BIC:

:p Yes, I'm aware, but I was taught that they hold to the same conventions. Hence the scripts look different, the scenes look different, direction is different, etc. I believe Futurama, KotH, Family Guy, are single. I vaguely recall one of the 15-minute CC things running as multi but not sure and don't recall which.