I can't seem to buy anti virus online for my mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Dog Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have Avast anitvirus for my mac. I don't even know if it works. It says I have warnings on my computer but for the life of me I can't figure out what to do about it. There aren't any options.

I really dug McCaffe in the past. But I can't buy it online like I used to for my PC.

It says it can't complete the transaction, and to contact administration.

I tried this with Norton too.

I thought the problem might have been my employee pay card because it doesn't have a name on it. Just "Employee Pay Card."

So then I tried to buy one of those visa gift cards from right aid. That didn't work either, though it did on my old PC.

I opened up an account at a bank and I"m hoping that that debit card will work but if it doesn't does anyone have advice on this.

I need to be protected because I'm about to go shopping for health insurance on my state exchange. That's gonna be some personal information I'll be putting on there.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Avast says you have problems, transaction attempts to acquire security software fail, and you want advice?

Stop using card numbers on that PC. Yesterday.

These may be unrelated items. Or they may be related, but not a security issue.

But at this point, those problems are major red flags from a security perspective. Maybe browser hijack.

I think you need to run a malware scanner from a clean state, something like Safe Mode in Windows. I'm a Windows guy. Couldn't tell you the steps for a Mac. Maybe someone else will be able to provide more details.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused. Did you try to purchase a Visa gift card using the employee pay card? If so, that might be the crux of the situation.

The debit card should work. If you're interested in an AV software that is good on a Mac, I do recommend Kaspersky -- it works on both Windows PCs and Macs, and it is quite thorough...

ETA - I like Rob's answer better.

Xanthe

Procrastinating Hobbyist Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried ClamXav? That's the one I use…my dad works on computers a lot and that was the one he recommended to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.