AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Promotion] Kelley & Hall

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Promotion] Kelley & Hall

I used Kelly and Hall book publicists. In their marketing material there was a story of how they were able to get Publishers Weekly to review an already self published work. That led to a publisher. Here is what I got for $7150. Nada, nothing. No radio or TV interviews even on small stations, no newspaper articles, no reviews other than a person that posted on the book's Amazon site. A skype interview with a teacher at a jr college who will post it on his rarely visited Blog where I am one of 150 + interviews (presumably to be posted in the future 4 months after the interview), a ludicrous top 5 listing by someone name Jenny (also a rarely visited site) where her one comment was "Go Vanderbilt." And another interview at an obscure site. The book was purchased 2 times during this time, and the kindle sales were similar. Visits to my site showed no increase. $7150 wasted money

$7150 wasted on Kelly and Hall publicists

I paid $7150 to Kelly and Hall book publicists. They were very pleasant and told me they had read and loved my book. In their own promotional material there is the story of a self published author for whom they were able to get a Publisher's Weekly review and from there, a major publisher picked up the work. What was my result?

Nothing. Nada. No radio or TV interviews even on small stations, no newspaper articles, no reviews other than one person who posted on my book's kindle Amazon site. A skype interview by a teacher at a junior college posted on his rarely visited Blog where I am one of 150 + interviews (presumably to be posted in the future 4 months after the interview), a ludicrous top 5 listing by someone name Jenny (also a rarely visited site) where her one comment was "Go Vanderbilt." And another interview at an obscure site. The book was purchased 2 times during this time, and the kindle sales were similar. Visits to my site showed no increase. The $7150 was thrown out money

Oh wow. That's awful. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

practical experience, FTW girlyswot's Avatar
    What did your contract specify? Did they do what they promised? Can you get (some of) your money back?

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    This is tragic. I'm sorry this happened to you.

A little Google investigation would have gone a LONG way. Money flows TO the writer, not AWAY from the writer.
    **My 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE, releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I'll move this from our Book Promotion room to BR&BC, where it's a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    A little Google investigation would have gone a LONG way. Money flows TO the writer, not AWAY from the writer.
    When one is self-publishing, some money must flow from the publisher. The fact that the publisher is also the writer doesn't change that dynamic.

Which is not to excuse or justify what happened to the OP. Just sayin' that it's not helpful to fail to acknowledge that when in business for oneself (which is what self-publishing is), one is going to have to spend some money to make money.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

On their website news section, it seems like all the news is several years old, 2008 being the most recent year I can see mentioned. There's a mention of J.D. Salinger trying to shut down publication of a work examining Catcher in the Rye, and hasn't Salinger been dead for a while, now?

Also, the Jacquelyn Mitchard testimonial rang a bell. Could Kelley & Hall be the PR site The Albee Agency/Sandpiper Publicity were ripping off?
    MAYBE IN PARIS - YA contemporary - coming June 6th 2017 from Sky Pony Press! Now available to preorder on Amazon!

Represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!

Add my book on Goodreads!

Facebook - I don't really know what I'm doing there yet
    Twitter - Sometimes I'm funny there
    Tumblr - My blog

practical experience, FTW Debeucci's Avatar
    Publicists are rarely worth it, especially to a self publisher. Trade publishers will often have in-house publicists who have built relationships over time with their contacts through media outlets. It's one of the many hidden jobs a publisher will do that most people don't realize, and it's very difficult for a self pub to replicate that result through an outside contractor.

There is no way a publicist will have a contract that guarantees anything. (At least, that would be dumb of them to).

Quote Originally Posted by ss06470 View Post
    I used Kelly and Hall book publicists. In their marketing material there was a story of how they were able to get Publishers Weekly to review an already self published work. That led to a publisher. Here is what I got for $7150. Nada, nothing. No radio or TV interviews even on small stations, no newspaper articles, no reviews other than a person that posted on the book's Amazon site. A skype interview with a teacher at a jr college who will post it on his rarely visited Blog where I am one of 150 + interviews (presumably to be posted in the future 4 months after the interview), a ludicrous top 5 listing by someone name Jenny (also a rarely visited site) where her one comment was "Go Vanderbilt." And another interview at an obscure site. The book was purchased 2 times during this time, and the kindle sales were similar. Visits to my site showed no increase. $7150 wasted money
    Ouch. Sorry you had to go through that. Hope it didn't break you financially.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Their correct spelling is Kelley & Hall. Here's a link.

7k + is a lot of money to part with. Sorry that happened to you, ss06.

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Unable to post link for some reason. And having trouble editing. Quirky computer.
    Last edited by stormie; 02-11-2014 at 11:11 PM.

(And Zlang-Zlang Squid) JudasFm's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear that
    (By the way, I'm female )

Zlang-Zlang Squid Says: Shallamagallamazoop!

Thanks to everyone for their sympathy. I just hope no one is using them. Unfortunately, the contract does not promise anything. Believe it or not I'd spend another $7000 if anyone knows of a really excellent publicist.

Thanks.

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. Torgo's Avatar
    Thanks to everyone for their sympathy. I just hope no one is using them. Unfortunately, the contract does not promise anything. Believe it or not I'd spend another $7000 if anyone knows of a really excellent publicist.
    I would really advise you not to spend another $7K on publicity. You are very unlikely to see that money again.

Just the facts, please
    I found five blog reviews of your novel and 10 Amazon reviews, all at 4 or 5 stars.

Can I ask why you signed a contract with no deliverables?

ETA: A good PR agency can never guarantee X placements or Y reviews. There are simply too many variables in play. But the OP described a contract that apparently has no accountability for the agency.
    Last edited by JournoWriter; 03-04-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: