• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Daily harassment, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinningdoc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a long time writer (journalism, copywriting and scripts for a living, basically) writing my first novel. Maybe my only novel, too...

As Mark Billingham said once 'the thing with novels is there's a lot of typing...', and I've discovered that without an external deadline, like a client or a producer or a news editor screaming at me, my main talent so far has been procrastinating instead of sitting and hacking out the a first draft which I know all too well is what's required at this point (having done all the planning I need to, and a modicum of research). The point is to get something to change.

So my cunning plan here is to find someone to harass me into writing, and I'll do the same for them. Every day, we have to email each other and confess how many words we churned out in the last 24 hours. No critiquing, no whining, no BS - just admitting what we have or haven't done. I'm reasonably sure that this'll shame me into actual work.

Any takers?

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I've found that that idea doesn't always work. Hell, it never worked with me for any project I've worked on.

Maybe you just need to work on some self-discipline. Start small and reward yourself while gradually pushing yourself harder and harder. That's what I had to do.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that this will work on anybody who does not write full-time.

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
Thanks for the comments. Anyone actually want to help?

I'm going to pipe in and say this could totally work. I am also being totally unhelpful, since I don't think I, personally, can help.

But a friend and I have a password-protected community. Every week, by Sunday, we are required to post something. Usually it's a chapter fragment. If you don't actually post something you wrote, you at least have to explain what you did--research, outlining, writing something that isn't ready to post, whatever. It's kept us honest for more than two years. We've gotten lazy lately, but the concept does work. (It's less invasive than personally sending an email every day, though.)

Maybe try the Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies forum? I haven't looked at that board a ton, but the "writing buddy" bit sounds like what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You know, there are a lot of members here who have expressed the same feelings as you, and who frequent this room. You're definitely not alone. How do you feel about making this thread your place of accountability? It's very public - you'll have the eyes of both members and lurkers on you, some of whom will be reading to see how this works out.

If the thought of posting your goals and your results here causes a surge of anxiety, all the better. :) You'll be very exposed. Are you up for it?

You can do this.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say get over the notion that writing a novel is a lot of typing. No matter what you're writing, you can't type tomorrow's words today, and for today, a novel takes no more typing than a short story.

Nonnavlis

Make mine pink, please!
Registered
Reaction score
I've done this before, and I actually found it worked well for me, for a little while at least if not a long one. I'd be happy to "harass" you on a daily basis if you like? I'm not sure we'll be compatible people, but it couldn't hurt to try. I've got plenty of free time at the moment to bother you, and I'm stuck with a lack of motivation myself right now this might be just the thing for.

Sophia has a good idea about admitting your progress publicly as well, though. If shame is a motivator for you, I would think that has great potential.

LiteraryNovelist

Please make me write more
Registered
Reaction score
Have you written today? If yes, how much? If not, why not?? What were you doing when you should have been writing?

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Well this is what Weight Watchers does in the sense that you go and get weighed and you know the person weighing you will see your weight loss or gain for the week, not that they say anything more rude then "oh that's a shame, nevermind, could be the time of month, might be your jeans."
The desire to have that moment of congratulations for a one pound loss that week by the weighing women does motivate people. Perhaps this thread could be used to clock in as a group?

Last edited:

Augustine Raine

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a full time writer, but whenever I need to get something done, I set an event in google calendars, for one day, and then repeat that every day so I can literally nag myself into doing something about whatever I've been ignoring.

R.T James

Street urchin with a top hat.
Registered
Reaction score
You want a consistent nagging that is borderline fanatical. I'll sign up. I have nothing better to do. While I am not writing I am revising a story and trying to clear my mind after the words start to blur together.

Bugging you might be the little break I need!

Signed,

Mr James.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I just kept telling myself Darth Vader was on my tail. Stay on target! Almost there!

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
A technique that I read about somewhere:

Get yourself one of those office calendars - one with a whole year to a view. Set yourself a daily target of writing so many words. Every day that you hit your target cross out the date with a big red X. Then try to get two Xs in a row. Then three. What's the longest chain of Xs that you can make?

I tried it for a while and it does help.

Status
Not open for further replies.