The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Parody] Hannah Rogers

[Parody] Hannah Rogers

I just stumbled across this agency from a guest post on the Evil Editor's blog (rife with sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek) and it struck me as both funny but potentially in earnest. Submissions based on the first sentence alone? Her website is very funny, but not necessarily confidence inspiring if we're talking about a real lit agent. I'd like to hang out with her. Would I want her to rep me? Don't know.

What do you guys think? Joke? Serious? Chance of success?

http://hannahrogersliteraryagency.bl...com/p/faq.html

Her whole website seems to be a joke--down to her "our books" section, which after some research turns out that none of those books or authors exist (could have guessed with the Photoshop 101 style covers).

I say, it's either meant to be an entire joke, or a joking scam. Even if this there is a smallest chance of this being real, I would never work in a professional field with someone who has mostly joked around, and posted fake products.

EDT: I don't know the exact etiquette for posting works of the authors the agency represents of their website--haven't seen it that often, out of my limited experience--but that even seems flaky in of itself.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 02-09-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    Don't Fear Failure.

"Look at the sound of all these people on fire. I want to be on fire, do you want to be on fire?" -- Most Roads Lead to Home, Listener.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

The subheader on that blog reads "The Desperate Writer's Last Resort."

It's humor.

Everything seems intended to tickle the funny bone of those in the know: from the website subtitle, "The desperate writer's last resort," to the disclaimer at the bottom, "Neither Hannah Rogers nor anyone associated with her is responsible for financial loss or emotional distress of anyone visiting this site."

Really, it hits all of the 'bad agent' jokes (and one of the only links on the site goes to Evil Editor, so...).
    ~Marina

Recent Publications:

A Debt Repaid, Lightspeed Magazine, WDSF
    Dateline: Sesen, Star Citizen Spectrum Dispatch

Blog *Twitter* Art * AV

Quote Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post

EDT: I don't know the exact etiquette for posting works of the authors the agency represents of their website--haven't seen it that often, out of my limited experience--but that even seems flaky in of itself.
    Just a side note, ignoring the fact that these particular titles are made up:
    A lot of agents have lists of clients and their published work on their sites. Why wouldn't they want to advertise who they represent and what they've sold?
    ~Marina

Recent Publications:

A Debt Repaid, Lightspeed Magazine, WDSF
    Dateline: Sesen, Star Citizen Spectrum Dispatch

Blog *Twitter* Art * AV

It's a longstanding joke, a site made by Evil Editor to poke fun at agents' sites. I believe it started with him finding the clipart photos.
    Visit my website!

Is it wrong that I kind of want to write that vampire book, now?

Linda is a Love Light, a special kind of human whose blood makes it possible for vampires to walk in the day. When her secret is discovered, every vamp on the planet wants a piece of her . . . but she only has eyes for one.

I mean... right?
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Hasn't it been written already?

Oh wait, doesn't matter. Yep, go for it, Giant Baby.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    Hasn't it been written already?
    Because of the sparkling? 'Cos my vamps would sparkle, all right, from the sun gleaming off their massive, daytime-walking, tanning-oil-slathered, ripped shoulders and six-pack abs.

And, there's this beach volleyball scene I've got in mind.... All original stuff!

My new favorite agent website

*off to work on a sparkling first word*
    Doing the backstroke in the beer moat.

Try it, you might like it. Blogging life in the big city with Mrs Fringe.

Yep... I didn't see the "disclaimer" at the bottom. Six seconds after I posted this thread I went back and looked more closely at the website and thought, yes, definitely a joke.

Well, I feel a bit stupid, but it was funny.

Hey, at least you didn't query her!

I, for one, thank you. The submission guidelines were damn delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Baby View Post
    Hey, at least you didn't query her!
    No kidding!

I'm glad to spread the word of this site for all fellow writer's entertainment and education.