The Bookity Book & Tall Grass Salon

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Today's Almanac: A Prayer in Spring, by Robert Frost. Today is Earth Day, y'all. Earth Day was first observed in 1970, making it 47 years old today.

Birthdays: Immanuel Kant, philosopher; contemporary poet Louise Glück, called “one of the purest and most accomplished lyric poets now writing,” (Robert Hass); and, Charles Mingus, the "Angry Man of Jazz".

Spring and rebirth have been on my mind. Everything is in bloom and the fledglings have now left the nest Momma and Papa Bird built in the folds of the burlap coffee bags I have draped on a turquoise ladder leaning on the back wall of my deck. Spring is a great time for change and new beginnings and I'm noodling changes to this room: a new name for the room, a new name for Sloppy Joe's, discussions of all contemporary work—novels, short stories, poetry, drama—FAQs, and a glossary. So Spring; I do love spring.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Today's Almanac: What Have I Learned (but the proper use for several tools), by Gary Snyder. I absolutely love this poem; it makes me think.

April 24th has certainly been good to literature.

Birthdays: Irish novelist and journalist Clare Boylan, American novelist and short-story writer Judy Budnitz, English novelist Anthony Trollope.

Notable Events: The U.S. Library of Congress was established on this date in 1800. On April 24, 1916, Sir Ernest Shackleton set out in a lifeboat from Elephant Island to get help for his shipwrecked Antarctic expedition.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Today's Almanac: The Necessary Brevity of Pleasures, by Samuel Hazo.

Birthdays:

American poet Ted Kooser. 30th poet laureate of the U.S. and winner of the 2004 Pulitzer.
About writing about everyday things, he says, “Behind the screen of the ordinary can be found unique and wonderful things.”

"First Lady of Song" and queen of jazz Ella Fitzgerald would have been 100 years old today.
Fitzgerald won 13 Grammy Awards over the course of her life, including one at the inaugural show in 1958. She also received the National Medal of Arts, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and the George and Ira Gershwin Award for Lifetime Musical Achievement.

English military and political leader Oliver Cromwell. (Mom said, "If you can't say anything nice . . .)

Notable Events:

Buddy, the first seeing-eye dog, was presented to Morris S. Frank in 1928.
The New York and Harlem Railroad Company was incorporated in 1831.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ella's music is still magical, if you listen to it with a mind that's open to styles of another era. Amazing voice and interpretation. Or do I mean styling? I don't know the terminology.

And hey, I liked the poem. The first line was terrific and it sort of echoes later. OMG, I'm reading poetry, huh?

Stray thought--might it be worth a quick PM to the former regulars to let them know this room has a new and wonderful name?

Maryn, taking a break from rug pulling

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! Just stumbled in. Thanks for takong up the mantel, Ari. As much as I liked the discussion and poems, it turned in to a duty instead of something for fun and for free. But I miss you all! I'm glad it's up and running again.

I think I've said before when I was a kid I called her "Elephants Gerald" simply because I was mimicking what I thought people were saying. A legend to be sure. Her versions of Sweet Georgia Brown and A Tiskit A Taskit are the best around.

I'm up at the wife's in Michigan. It rained on us in DC and on our getaway to Harpers Ferry, and the sun was just coming out at the airport to here, where I am now stuck inside by freezing rain. Schools are closed and everything. Time to make some progress on Love in the Time of Cholera. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about other people, but for me there's a certain peace in being away from home and having the weather limit your activities. Nothing to do but read and eat. Sweet!

I shall do the honors with today's almanac, because among the birthdays is one of my favorite playwright's. I consider myself fortunate to live in a city that's staged the full Pittsburgh Cycle of August Wilson, many featuring actors I've seen on TV or in movies, which is always a pleasure. You may recall that Wilson's Fences was recently made into a movie.

Oh, and there's some guy named Grant, and a few other folks' birthdays as well.

I liked and didn't like the poem. The greens they're eating sound gross to me.

Maryn, who eats stuff from stores

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Chris & Maryn! I won't be linking to the Almanac every day, even though I do check it each morning. Just like everyone else, I have stuff goin' on. I will, however, do so when I find the day's poem particularly fascinating or it speaks to me in a deep or meaningful way. Like today's for instance.

Today's Almanac: The First Green of Spring, by David Budbill.

Birthdays:

Playwright August Wilson, winner of the Pulitzer for Fences and again for The Piano Lesson.
About playwriting, he said: “I once wrote a short story called ‘The Best Blues Singer in the World’ and it went like this: ‘The streets that Balboa walked were his own private ocean, and Balboa was drowning.’ End of story. That says it all. Nothing else to say. I’ve been rewriting that same story over and over again. All my plays are rewriting that same story. I’m not sure what it means, other than life is hard.”

Writer, activist, and civil rights leader Coretta Scott King. Mrs. King was also a gifted singer and violinist and won a fellowship to study at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston.

Mary Wollstonecraft, women's rights activist and author of A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792)

Ludwig Bemelmans, author of the "Madeline" books.

Union General and 18th President of the U.S. Ulysses S. Grant.

ETA: Sorry about that, Maryn. I'm a slow typist. oops!

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Today's Almanac: Time With You, by Gary Soto.

Birthdays:

French playwright and activist Olympe de Gouges (1748), who said if "woman has the right to mount the scaffold; she must equally have the right to mount the rostrum." Sent to the guillotine in 1793 for sedition.

British writer Angela Carter (1940). Her novels include The Magic Toyshop (1967), The Passion of New Eve (1977), and Nights at the Circus (1984).

Victorian poet and playwright Robert Browning (1812).

Notable Events:

On this date in 1952, Geoffrey W.A. Dummer first presented the concept of the integrated circuit (microchip).

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the poem. Brings back memories of my first romance, 14 years old watching MTV and soap operas in her basement all summer long. How we dreamed of being older and rich, just like Luke and Laura or Frisco and Felicia. Or maybe we'd have a band and wear suit jackets of bright primary colors and tease up our hair. My guitar would be square. To be independent, free, and able to afford luxury trips around the world. Oh, and sex without consequences would be part of the deal, of course.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Today's Almanac. Saints, by Louis Jenkins.

Birthdays:

Poet Phillis Wheatley (1753). Kidnapped and sold into slavery at the age of eight years old, she began writing poetry as a teenager. "She mastered English in two years and went on to learn Latin and Greek, and translated a story by Ovid. She studied astronomy, geography, history, and British literature — especially John Milton and Alexander Pope." (Hers is a story of significant highs and deep lows and I've always been drawn to stories of her life. Two hundred and fifty years later, it's hard to know what is fact and what is fiction. Still, the summary provided in the almanac is worth the read.)

Edmund Wilson (1895). Another fascinating individual. Considered "one of the greatest American man [sic] of letters of the 20th century . . . He almost single-handedly resurrected the reputation of the novelist Henry James, who had been forgotten for years. He championed new writers like Ernest Hemingway, and it was Wilson who persuaded American readers that F. Scott Fitzgerald had been a genius, and that The Great Gatsby was an American classic." Quote attribution: “No two persons ever read the same book.”

American poet, essayist, and translator Gary Snyder (1930). "The poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti once called Snyder 'The Thoreau of the Beat Generation.'" Quote attribution: "True affluence is not needing anything."

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Today's Almanac. In Spring, by Rosie King. It's a poem to make you smile—sweet, but not maudlin. It's short, but there are several story lines (story starters?) there. My mind went hop-scotching in several directions.

Birthdays:

Poet Charles Simic (1938). "His childhood was dominated by World War II and the Nazi invasion." (His work, btw, is somewhat of a juxtaposition of his wartime experiences and his wonder at America through the eyes of an immigrant. Worth reading, if you don't already know him.) Quote attributions because I couldn't choose between two: "I write to annoy God, to make Death laugh. I write because I can’t get it right. I write because I want every woman in the world to fall in love with me.” And, "There’s no preparation for poetry. Four years of grave digging with a nice volume of poetry or a book of philosophy in one’s pocket would serve as well as any university.”

Billy Joel (1949). Quote from a recent interview: "I never wanted to be an oldies act, but I suppose I am. I never wanted to be a nostalgia act, but I suppose I am. But I listen to Beethoven, and that’s really old stuff. Is that nostalgia? To me, that music is as alive as it ever was.”

Notable Events:

On this day in 1994, South Africa’s newly elected parliament chose Nelson Mandela as the country’s first democratically elected president.

On this day in 1960, the Food and Drug Administration approved the sale of the world’s first commercially produced birth control pill.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Today's Almanac. Moonrise, Aurora, Nebraska by Twyla Hansen

Birthdays:

Artist, writer, and poet Edward Lear (1812). "Most people know him today as a nonsense poet and a master of the limerick, a humorous poetic form that had been gaining in popularity since the early 1820s."

Poet and painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828). Quote attribution: “Color and meter: these are the true patents of nobility in painting and poetry, taking precedence of all intellectual claims.”

Novelist and poet Rosellen Brown (1939). Quote attribution: "I still write for the same reason I wrote when I was nine years old: to speak more perfectly than I really can, to a listener more perfect than any I know.”

Notable Events:

On this date in 1215, England's barons jerked up King John and handed him an ultimatum, which led to the Magna Carta.

On this day in 1908, Nathan B. Stubblefield patented his Wireless Radio Broadcasting System. "Although Stubblefield’s work did not directly lead to the discovery of radio as a means of communication, his work may have sparked wider interest among the public for the possibilities of wireless sound."

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Today's Almanac. Nurse by Dorianne Laux. In some ways, this poem reminds me of my childhood—healthy doses of the knowledge of life's pain alongside its pleasures such as bowls of dewberries covered in heavy cream and sugar held in hands colored by scratches, punctures, and blisters.

Birthdays:

Filmmaker and philanthropist George Lucas (1944).

Notable Events:

On this day in 1804, Captain Meriwether Lewis and Lieutenant William Clark set out from St. Louis, Missouri, on their overland expedition to the Pacific Coast and back.

And, of course, today is Mother's Day.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Is the Almanac becoming "old hat?" I dunno. I thought I'd shake things up today and share one of my favorite online mags . . . and why haven't I done that already? Can't answer that one none, neither. It's WORDS without BORDERS: The Online Magazine for International Literature. There is so much in the May issue, and it's quite a blend. Here's a taste:

The Global Feast: Writing about Food (Recipes, too, iffen you're interested.)

Blog post: The Poetry of the World's Oldest Cookbooks (Fascinating.)

Interviews with 2017 Man Booker International Prize Nominees.

Cardinal Points: Four Basque Poets.

I'll leave you now with an excerpt from Life With a Tiger by Harkaitz Cano (Translation by Amaia Albantxo):

Hardly anyone comes to visit when you live with a tiger.

Often we forget that we have a tiger with us,
we forget him for days until, damn,
he is suddenly right there
one thoroughly uneventful day:
let’s say a Wednesday, let’s say in the Fall,
let’s say on our way back from work,
tired, whistling.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ari, I do think the Almanac is old hat. We've discussed in the past what we can do otherwise,but nobody really wanted to take on a daily hosting committment. Also with the Almanac, if I don't check here on the day it's posted I see a different poem than you commented on.

WWB looks awsome, but there's too much there. I wonder if a weekly posting to one article or poem or even video that we comment on over the week would work? Sort of like the Topic Tuesdays you were doing for a while, but just within this thread and not as a special announcement. Incidentally, I sometimes can't find the discussion thread when there is an announcemnt encouraging participation.

Let's be creative. I miss this thread and the folks in it. :)

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Chris

I appreciate the feedback. I miss the old regulars, too, and I'd love to see new folks in Contemporary Lit. We expanded the scope of the room to encourage just that participation—to include everyone who loves today's literature.

William graciously provided us with an FAQ on Contemporary Poetry and started a thread Listening to Poetry Really Can Give You Chills and Goosebumps

There is a new Contemporary Lit FAQ and a Glossary of Marketing categories.

I would love the quarterly book club reads to take off.

I pointed to WORDS without BORDERS: The Online Magazine for International Literature, which is one of the most exciting things I've found in years with regard to international literature. I thought others would like to know about it, too.

But, you know? I can't keep throwing spaghetti against the wall trying to see what sticks. No one needs to commit to the drudgery of a daily hosting if that's how it seems, but . . . BUT, there is so much going on in the world of literature to share with each other and to discuss: articles and books and poems and short stories we'd all love to know about. I'd like to see that.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But, you know? I can't keep throwing spaghetti against the wall trying to see what sticks. No one needs to commit to the drudgery of a daily hosting if that's how it seems, but . . . BUT, there is so much going on in the world of literature to share with each other and to discuss: articles and books and poems and short stories we'd all love to know about. I'd like to see that.

I'm totally with you! I'd love to see those things too, and discussing all the exciting stuff going on is awesome. There's just so much, where do we start? I think we would need about five active, chatty members to keep a thread like this going. The more the better, but five seems to be the critical mass. One thing I've never been good at is getting people on board with a new idea. I wish I had cooler suggestions.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings Max! Have you been offline or have I just been on different threads than you? How's everything going?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi, Chris. Between teaching and writing articles for several websites I really haven't had much time lately.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Well hello, stranger. The name of the joint is subject to change at any time, for any reason. Or, none. :greenie

Once our engineer is sure our sails and thrusters are in sync we might find ourselves taking voyages hither, thither, and yon. The horizon beckons.

Muhahaha

Last edited: