• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Writers' Workshop of Asheville

eloisemay

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a bad feeling about this group? I sent them $18 last October to enter a fiction contest, and included a SASE for a critique of my piece. I thought if I didn't win, at least I'd get a review.

No such luck. Despite e-mails and letters sent to them --asking for at least a list of winners--I've received no reply.

I'll not get sucked into that group again, believe me!

eloisemay

eloisemay

Registered
Reaction score
writers workshop

I thought I posted this, but can't find. Has anyone out there had any dealings with this group? They purport to run contests, one of which I entered last fall. I was supposed to get a critique of my story (with enclosed SASE), but haven't heard anything, despite e-mails and snail mail to their address. Goodbye $18 !

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, eloisemay. Your previous thread is still here. If you can't find a thread or a post of yours, you can always check on it by using the "find all posts by" function on your profile page.

If you posted some identifying information about this group--a website address would do--it would be easier to help you.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There are a gazillion writers/writer's/writer's workshops. Which one are you asking about?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
We need more info for specific comment, but make sure that the contest is actually over; often deadlines are extended, which delays returns.

eloisemay

Registered
Reaction score
writers workshop

I didn't know about the others. This particular one is at 387 Beaucatcher Rd, Asheville, NC 28805 No website, but it called for fiction and/or memoirs (they said it was their 16th annual Memoirs competition!).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This one? http://www.twwoa.org/

Did you include a "legal size self-sealing SASE for critique and list of winners"? If so, confirm their email address and/or try giving them a call.

Me & iMac

Registered
Reaction score
I know this response is years later - but a note that I'm trying to find out about them also, and found them as "not recommended" on Predators & Editors here: http://pred-ed.com/pubwork.htm.

But can't find anything else.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Huh. I live here in Asheville and I'm on their mailing list, but I've never done anything with them. Interesting that they've run afoul of P&E.