The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Writers' Workshop of Asheville

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

The Writers' Workshop of Asheville

Does anyone else have a bad feeling about this group? I sent them $18 last October to enter a fiction contest, and included a SASE for a critique of my piece. I thought if I didn't win, at least I'd get a review.

No such luck. Despite e-mails and letters sent to them --asking for at least a list of winners--I've received no reply.

I'll not get sucked into that group again, believe me!

eloisemay

writers workshop

I thought I posted this, but can't find. Has anyone out there had any dealings with this group? They purport to run contests, one of which I entered last fall. I was supposed to get a critique of my story (with enclosed SASE), but haven't heard anything, despite e-mails and snail mail to their address. Goodbye $18 !

Gone
    Hi, eloisemay. Your previous thread is still here. If you can't find a thread or a post of yours, you can always check on it by using the "find all posts by" function on your profile page.

If you posted some identifying information about this group--a website address would do--it would be easier to help you.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    There are a gazillion writers/writer's/writer's workshops. Which one are you asking about?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

We need more info for specific comment, but make sure that the contest is actually over; often deadlines are extended, which delays returns.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

writers workshop

I didn't know about the others. This particular one is at 387 Beaucatcher Rd, Asheville, NC 28805 No website, but it called for fiction and/or memoirs (they said it was their 16th annual Memoirs competition!).

This one? http://www.twwoa.org/

Did you include a "legal size self-sealing SASE for critique and list of winners"? If so, confirm their email address and/or try giving them a call.
    ICAO
    ---------

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Me & iMac's Avatar
    I know this response is years later - but a note that I'm trying to find out about them also, and found them as "not recommended" on Predators & Editors here: http://pred-ed.com/pubwork.htm.

But can't find anything else.
    "I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion. Jack Kerouac

"To avoid criticism, say nothing, be nothing, do nothing, and stand really still, maybe nobody will notice you." Elbert Hubbard

Huh. I live here in Asheville and I'm on their mailing list, but I've never done anything with them. Interesting that they've run afoul of P&E.