William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
A judge sentenced former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick this afternoon to 28 years in prison in a public corruption case that resulted in two dozen convictions ranging from bribery to extortion to tax crimes.

While the city's finances foundered, Kilpatrick was shaking down contractors, ensuring that a pal got millions in city work and turning a nonprofit fund to help struggling Detroiters into a personal slush fund, according to evidence at his five-month trial.

Kilpatrick told federal Judge Nancy Edmunds he was ready to go to prison and is "profoundly sorry" for the tough conditions in his hometown. He spoke for about 30 minutes today before the judge announced the sentence.

Kilpatrick didn't specifically address his crimes but said he respects the jury's verdict. He was convicted of conspiracy, extortion, bribery and tax crimes last March.

Read more: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...nced-to-28-years-in-prison-in-corruption-case

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
It's amazing how many times this happens, how many former mayors and governors show up in jails, and how it goes on happening.

Amazing, but not surprising, if you know what I mean.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing how many times this happens, how many former mayors and governors show up in jails, and how it goes on happening.

Amazing, but not surprising, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. Still, Kwame Kilpatrick was a special sort of crook.

There's no direct proof of his involvement, but at least one unsolved murder can be connected to the Dictator of Detroit's reign of error and terror.

The story of how Kilpatrick took corruption to new heights would make a terrific movie, but audiences might have trouble believing just how bad of a bad guy he was.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess the government is not a monolithic entity that protects its own after all...