Tousled-hair, smoldering-eyed doll of a terrorist likely to be put to sleep.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
BOSTON (AP) — Federal prosecutors on Thursday announced they will seek the death penalty against 20-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in the Boston Marathon bombing, instantly raising the stakes in what could be one of the most wrenching trials the city has ever seen.

Attorney General Eric Holder's decision to press for Tsarnaev's execution was widely expected. The twin blasts killed three people and wounded more than 260 others, and 17 of the 30 federal charges against him — including using a weapon of mass destruction to kill — carry the possibility of the death penalty.

"The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision," Holder said in a statement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/30/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-death-penalty_n_4694745.html

Deleted member 42

I see no point in the death penalty.

It won't bring anyone back.

It won't stop someone else from engaging in the same sort of thing.

It won't help Mr. Tsarnaev.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Tousled-hair, smoldering-eyed doll of a terrorist likely to be put to sleep."

:gaah

On the topic, I'll be glad when the inevitable circus of a trial is over. I wouldn't place a bet on the outcome of the penalty phase of the trial, either.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I see no point in the death penalty.

It won't bring anyone back.

It won't stop someone else from engaging in the same sort of thing.

It won't help Mr. Tsarnaev.

I was wondering how long it would take.

Not that I disagree with a word of it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see - he said killing is bad, but they felt they had to kill because their people were being killed. So, we're going to (potentially) kill him for killing people, for killing people. That makes sense.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do a double take every time his face is in the news because a pal of mine is a dead ringer for him.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That must be quite an experience for your friend, DL.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Agree the thread title is XLN! Agree the death penalty may be pointless. I've often wondered why "hard-labor" is no longer a penalty. I'd be ok with 30+ years of "breaking rocks in the hot sun" for this.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Agree the thread title is XLN! Agree the death penalty may be pointless. I've often wondered why "hard-labor" is no longer a penalty. I'd be ok with 30+ years of "breaking rocks in the hot sun" for this.

If a state or two had gotten a hold of him, it'd certainly be an option.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am a supporter of the death penalty but not in the case of terrorism.

Don't make martyrs out of them. Lock them in a Super Max so they can spend the rest of their lives isolated from humanity and die an anonymous death.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If he's being tried in Massachusetts, then how can they levy the death penalty? Can the feds carry out an execution in a state where it's been declared unlawful?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
If he's being tried in Massachusetts, then how can they levy the death penalty? Can the feds carry out an execution in a state where it's been declared unlawful?

Yes. Technically, it's not *in* that state. Federal court. Federal judge. Federal officers. Federal law. When the time comes (if it comes), it'll take place in a federal facility.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Death is really too good for him. I guess that Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty. If it does, good riddance. If it doesn't, then I'd lock him up for the rest of his good-for-nothing life, have an automated food delivery and waste disposal service, slam the door and toss the key away.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

It's a federal case, not a state one. He'll be tried in a federal court and sentenced and executed in a federal prison. McVeigh was killed in Indiana, which employs the death penalty, though again fed vs. state.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I am a supporter of the death penalty but not in the case of terrorism.

Don't make martyrs out of them. Lock them in a Super Max so they can spend the rest of their lives isolated from humanity and die an anonymous death.

I agree there. Isn't that what motivates some of them to begin with, after all?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I don't believe in capital punishment, mostly for the same reasons as Medi, but also because I believe that murder is murder, whether it's state-sanctioned or not. Killing him brings us down to the same level and I'd rather not be on the same level as nobodies like this guy. (Same reason why I wish media types would stop giving the names and flashing the faces of these nobodies. There is a journalist who writes for the Newark Star-Ledger who, whenever he does an article on John Lennon, he refuses to name Lennon's killer - and that's a philosophy I wholeheartedly support.)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
If they execute him I won't shed a tear. Doesn't change the fact that I think killing people in the name of the state is wrong.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm betting he won't get the death penalty, considering among other things that it requires a unanimous jury vote, but that he'll get a life sentence without parole. That would be my choice for him.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Eagle here. I'll go on record as opining that he gets sentenced to life on 23-hour lockdown in a Fed Supermax, a la Ted Kaczynski, Robert Hanssen, Ramzy Youssef. That's the American form of oubliette.

caw

GHO57

Registered
Reaction score
I never understood the death penalty... you go to sleep, end of.

Life without parole on the other hand... the rest of your life, staring at the same walls, day after day, year after year, decade after decade... and the only excitement you'll ever have is trying to survive the occasional attempts on your life.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
his capacity to draw a breath, enjoy a meal, smile at a pleasant memory, enjoy a pen-pal relationship (or more), watch a tv, relish a book, jack off, daydream, get immersed in a conversation... these all are denied the four people killed by him.

shooting hoops or walking in his natural body, even an hour a day in a confined rec area are denied to dozens of the 240 people who had their limbs blown off and have to adapt to prosthetics, assuming they have medically stabilized enough to do so.

you take a life intentionally and with malice aforethought, you forfeit your life. that's my take.

(i fully respect others' right to have a different opinion)

the death penalty should be carefully applied in the case of overwhelming and thoroughly-vetted evidence.

fuck this shit stain. if he's guilty, give him his appeals and then put his ass to sleep.

right is right.

Last edited: