Question about screenwriting contest categories

nicoleM

Registered
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been covered here before. I've written a light hearted 'comedy, drama, romance' screenplay and I'm thinking of entering it into Page but I'm confused about which category to enter in. The categories with their description are:

COMEDY
Light and dark comedies, romantic comedies, farces, spoofs, satires
DRAMA
All types of dramatic stories, dramedies, romances, and tragedies

My script sort of has elements of both. It has comedy and drama in equal parts although the drama is nothing heavy, with sprinkles of romance. Which category should I enter in? If anyone has faced this dilemma or has any thoughts, I would be very grateful. Many thanks.

nicoleM

Registered
Reaction score
Re:

Thank you for your replies. I considered comedy but that category will have straight-up 'Hangover' type comedies. My script isn't even an R-rated one and it could be seen by the whole family. I don't think it would hold up to the kind of comedies that are written these days. Also, it can't be classified as a romantic comedy because there's like 15% of romance in it. Since the Drama category has 'dramedy' listed under it, I think this would be most suitable. I'm still not sure but if I remain this uncertain I'll just enter it into 'drama'.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will it fare better among serious heavy Dramas about Big Things or seem lightweight and inconsequential in comparison? It sounds to me like it's primarily a romcom, a subgenre of comedy, even though it's not funny every single second, nor is it the sort of over-the-top humor of some comedies.

Maryn, just sayin'

nicoleM

Registered
Reaction score
Will it fare better among serious heavy Dramas about Big Things or seem lightweight and inconsequential in comparison?

Thanks for your reply. I agree. It will not fare better among serious heavy Dramas. But on the other hand, I can't classify it as a rom-com because the goal is not about getting the girl and even the stakes are not dependent on it. This is why I've having this dilemma. Okay, let's take the example of Garden State and Elizabethtown since both were really similar. The listed genres are the same, 'comedy, drama, romance'. If Garden State and/or Elizabethtown was your script, which category would you enter it/them in?

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You need to consider if it's a comedy with drama like, let's say, THE DESCENDENTS, which deals with some serious issues but is a comedy at heart or, the other way around, a drama that has comedy - like AUGUST OSAGE COUNTY.

Think about your sensibilities as a writer. Do you consider yourself a writer of comedies or dramas? (Are you generally a funny person or a serious person or have a dark sense of humor?) That might help you make a decision.

According to the classifications of the contest, I'd say both of the aforementioned films would fall under the comedy category because it includes satire and dark comedies; the category casts a pretty wide net, IMO.

Many recent comedies today have some serious elements. MRS. DOUBTFIRE, for example, includes some serious themes and issues (like fatherhood) but is clearly a comedy.

Based on the way you describe the script and the examples you've modeled, in conjunction with the categories subscribed by the contest, I'd say you have a comedy.

Good luck.

nicoleM

Registered
Reaction score
You need to consider if it's a comedy with drama like, let's say, THE DESCENDENTS, which deals with some serious issues but is a comedy at heart or, the other way around, a drama that has comedy - like AUGUST OSAGE COUNTY.

Think about your sensibilities as a writer. Do you consider yourself a writer of comedies or dramas? (Are you generally a funny person or a serious person or have a dark sense of humor?) That might help you make a decision.

According to the classifications of the contest, I'd say both of the aforementioned films would fall under the comedy category because it includes satire and dark comedies; the category casts a pretty wide net, IMO.

Many recent comedies today have some serious elements. MRS. DOUBTFIRE, for example, includes some serious themes and issues (like fatherhood) but is clearly a comedy.

Based on the way you describe the script and the examples you've modeled, in conjunction with the categories subscribed by the contest, I'd say you have a comedy.

Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Everything that you said made a lot of sense and helped me get rid of the confusion. I was able to determine that comedy is the category which this should be entered in. Thanks again.