The SFF Writing Check-in Corner

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
another 1300 words last night puts me over the 4K mark on this maybe-not-so-short-short story for the SSSFFSS, hoping to have it mostly completed by this weekend. *crosses fingers

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Awesome idea, zannie-cakes! :D

I'm going to work on my SSSFFSS tonight because :dire: .

After that, I really hope to start on my UF WIP, which I am starting over with because the beginning needs to change.

is friday

ermehgerd
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcstrout.blogspot.com
Good thread.

I'm trying to write 10k a month toward this fantasy novel. I'm woefully behind in January with only 3.5k done.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I am hoping to keep my goal of 1k per day on this first-pantsed-story-in-a-while going. (Well, not quite every day, I started on Jan. 6. But I have successfully made the 1k all but two days so far, and both of those I made up the difference the following day). If I can keep it up, I should have a reasonably proportioned story in three months, which is pretty astounding to me.

Corey LeMoine

A decent fella.
Registered
Reaction score
I just broke the 100k mark on my first novel. Pretty exciting stuff for me personally because I now know that I can actually write a novel. Only a few more thousand words to get to the end of this one, and then we'll see if I can actually edit a novel to the point of being worth reading.

I'm also really happy to have gotten this far considering the many things that have gone on in my life over the two and a half years I've been working on it. Surgery, promotions and setbacks at work, and the birth of my two younger children. There may have been a move involved somewhere in there as well. The last six months have seen me working 7 days a week, and I find that I only have short periods of time in which to write.

Whew, that was more than I intended for a check-in, but I'm just really stoked to be so close to 'the end'.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished my 3rd set of revisions. My goal now is to do some outlining for my next book. I struggle some outlining, but I want to get better at it.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
So I started writing this UF but after a few chapters but, when the actual fantasy stuff was going to start happening, I had the terrible epiphany that my story was starting to use gypsy/romani tropes in such a way that it was borderline racist. (That or I was being paranoid, but in this case I kinda want to play it safe.) I nearly scrapped the whole project in a panic.

Then I considered making it a contemporary, which I hated. Because, just, no. So I think I managed to scale back everything enough to where it's now in the magical realism section. I think. Basically there's less fantasy now, but I think it gives me room to be really clever with things.

Looking at this post, does it still belong in this part of the forum? I didn't see a magical realism section, but if there is one I'll quietly walk myself out...

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
SneakyDevil: on the plus side, it'll be easier to get more words today than yesterday.

Antonin: Magic Realism is fine here. Also: welcome! :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Revising both "Cold" (story #4 from last year) and Solstice Swap Story (#6), the former to go to a workshop in two weeks from now, the latter to go to my usual two beta-readers before handing it in to the swap.

Next project after that will be redrafting "Mourning Becomes Me" (#1 from last year and written for the last Solstice Swap) from the 9300 words it presently is to the novella it probably ought to be.

All three stories are darkish fantasy of some kind or another.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I"m writing a SF/F that is heavy on the horror side that is about 10K words. The horror wasn't intentional but apparently it wants to be what it wants to be. I need to work on taxes next week and then it's time to make a schedule to write for an hour each day.

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Going back to editing my spider apoc short tonight, hopefully have it out this weekend, first time since last year, yay

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Blogging about books, and editing on the dragon short to be done. I've added some words to the Solstice Story Sway, which is good, because *eek* it's only two weeks away from being due.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Keeping up the momentum on my new novel, however progress has near been derailed by several 15 hour shifts eating up my waking hours. I've got a free weekend; should put in the hours and add an extra 10K words or so on top of the 10K from the past three weeks, now I've an idea where the plot is going.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Received crit last night. The story got a much better reception than i thought it would! Now to work on the issues raised. Might be able to get the story out early next week.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread, Suzanne!

Still writing my new WIP which is at 33K now and trying to get back to revising EvilPants. This thread is super inspiring!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Kicking and screaming my way through a steampunk adventure novel edit, I'm on page 170/220 of 90K words, goodness there's almost a pinpoint of light at the end of the long, long tunnel. If any more open calls come up this year, I want this ready and smoking on the launch pad.

Also stumbled over a two-thirds completed thriller novel the other day and pulled it into yWriter just to get a grip with the outline again, so it's waiting there for me once the steampunk novel is done.

-Derek

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
Since I'm still waiting for some security login stuff at my job for my new position I've been pulling up the WIP and getting between 500-1500 words written a night. It feels like the story has finally taken off and I'm finally seeing it as something as more than just an idea. :)

I wrote 300 words tonight on a new little short story. :)

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Did the blog post, still got to edit. Added more words to the solstice swap. It's still not finished though. And I'm not sure if I want to put in another plot twist or just resolve it after the confrontation...

Last edited:

BRDurkin

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryanrdurkin.blogspot.com
Working on a new military sci-fi thriller here. Almost 10k words toward the estimated 75k word total. If my previous projects are any indication, it'll probably end up being closer to 80-85k when the first draft is done.

As for my fantasy WIP, a partial is out with an agent right now, so I'm (im)patiently waiting to see how that turns out.

I'm trying to right between 1 and 2k words every day. Doesn't always happen, especially since I'm in the process of starting a Limited Liability Company right now. But at least there's not much time to be bored!

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished chapter 8 today :hooray:

At 34.4K now *shimmies*

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I put a revision of a chapter up in Share Your Work. Sometimes doing that is tougher than writing the damn thing.

KitCat

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome 10!

Good luck rwm!

I finished my contest entry and am going to edit my apoc story some more, still trying to get that one out the door this weekend.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I finished chapter 8 today :hooray:

At 34.4K now *shimmies*

I put a revision of a chapter up in Share Your Work. Sometimes doing that is tougher than writing the damn thing.

^agreed 100%

And yay for the wordage 10 :D

Awesome 10!

Good luck rwm!

I finished my contest entry and am going to edit my apoc story some more, still trying to get that one out the door this weekend.

Good luck with the contest.