The SFF Writing Check-in Corner

bylinebree

Still Seeking the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.breedavison.wordpress.com

I'm struggling with keeping track of world building for the first time. There's too much happening. I'm going to read through tomorrow and try to draw a map and make some lists. I feel like I shouldn't need this - if I'm having trouble keeping track and it's my writing, what would happen to a reader? Maybe that's not the right perspective.

MTamer, I started a basic glossary for my current WIP. Have a map but, as I've researched more, it will change (not knowing much about Central to Western Asia!). Think you've got the right idea; lots of SFF writers do this, since we can't keep all that World in just our heads.

bylinebree

Still Seeking the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I see the updates here but it's been a LONG time since I commented. A friend, who writes in another genre, mentioned she's finishing up her 1st draft by Jan 31 and was on 64K. I was on 73K at the time, and got inspired -- I had less to write than she did, for pete's sake -- no excuse! So the current WIP is now at 85K and I'm roughly shooting for 90-92K. Been working on this, on and off, for four years. Almost there!

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Kaysa, I don't see anything wrong with talking about it here, and you can certainly post in the Braggage thread. You absolutely should put a link in your sig, too! Congrats!

kaysa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chlorociboria.com
I'll post and squee over the cover once I can figure out how to insert the image directly. I don't have it on a URL, and that seems to be the only way to insert images? Any ideas anyone?

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score

I got stuck for a week or so. Moving ahead. My biggest issue is sprinting toward the end. I tend to underwrite, so I'm forcing myself to slow down and fill in as I go to help with the revision process.

bylinebree

Still Seeking the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just checking in, it's been awhile! The WIP is now at 98.5K...I thought it would be 'done' by 90k but things happened : )
Trying to finish the draft and be in the midst of editing by our local (national) writers con in April. I don't plan to pitch it, but I didn't last time I attended either--and the in the first meal line, an editor asked me about it and then asked me to please send it when it's done. So we'll see what happens...
In the meantime, I was researching exoplanets and just saw NASA's announcement -- so cool, since my male MC's are from one.
Time to write, gang. Good evening & take care, and keep going!

- - - Updated - - -

I know what that's like! Your brain is probably working something out...when it's done (and you also) then you'll sit down and write!

- - - Updated - - -

Me too! I'm rooting for you : )

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Draft 1 is done. DONE! Shelving it and reading my accumulating stack. 107,844. I wasn't really aiming for a specific number, but that seems respectable.

josephlcallahan

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the 70,000 word novel. Where does dystopian novels ala 1984, Handmaids Tale and City and the City fit in this thread?

Peace, Joe Tex

ww412

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my 77,000 Fantasy Novel :)

Trying to write the query that follows it of course :)

I've started writing the second book in the series which I'm excited about.

Cheers

Last edited:

Josh Sanders

Banned
Reaction score
I have a completed trilogy right now, three polished (Best I could do at least) manuscripts each around 47k words each and am currently in query hell trying to find an agent.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of fantasy?

Thekherham

The Alien Writer
Registered
Reaction score
5657 Brežendra Rd., Treskebhar, Te’hănys, Alharhan
Editing my 'autobiography' Life Through My Eyes. It's going to take me a while because it is rather long. Trying to cut out a lot (already eliminated about 2000 words)
And this is supposed to be the first book of a trilogy. I wrote a chunk of Book Two, and Book Three is basically done, but I have to edit that heavily so it matches up with One and Two.

But right now I have to work on the first book.

Chanan12

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is getting so much work done... I feel like such a blob.

I don't really know how many words I have written. It's mostly on lined and blank paper.

I'm world building right now. I have been forever haha.

Writing a short story right now, about half way done. When I finish it I am going to dedicate all my time to reading The Gripping Hand and Footfall.

AndrewF.

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, thought i'd check in.

I recently finished my first novel, Age of Exploration. It's about 85,000 words. I'm interested in what people, both the good and the bad. Below is a summary of my book, I hope it interests you!

From beautiful island colonies to the carnage of war - an epic tale of empire versus rebellion and a young man thrust into battle.

Will Raynor joined the navy in the hopes of an escape from an ever-industrializing Britannica and its polluted skies.

The New World promises to satisfy his taste for adventure, but all is not what it seems. Swept into a decade's long conflict for control of Britannica’s newest island colony, Will's focus turns to his own survival as he quickly learns the rumors back home are true: the island is plagued with savages. The Orcs, ruthless warriors suppressed by Britannica, await a warlord to lead them.

Will and his crew are ambushed on his first mission. They are taken prisoner by a cunning Orc Warlord determined to liberate his people from Britannica’s iron-fisted empire. While escaping, Will falls in love with a local girl just as the island falls into chaos as Britannica’s armies are beaten back. Will is given the opportunity to flee for safety but elects to stay with her and stand shoulder to shoulder with his friends on the battle lines. Will witnesses his friends fall and the island burn around him as Britannica’s control over the island crumbles to the Warlord’s fury. Will is no war hero but he is utterly determined to survive. Through that determination he is destined to rise up and become the hero he never knew he could be.

I'm currently on what I hope is my last stage of edits and i'm wondering what my next steps are in terms of getting an agent or talking to a publisher. I'm in Guelph Canada so a publisher close by maybe Toronto would be best. This is the first book of what I want to become a series but all I know how to do is think of worlds and characters and then stumble along with the writing part, more so with the editing part and hope people like my ideas. Anyway that's where I am at. Thanks for reading!

AfairysWing

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, thought i'd check in.

I recently finished my first novel, Age of Exploration. It's about 85,000 words. I'm interested in what people, both the good and the bad. Below is a summary of my book, I hope it interests you!

From beautiful island colonies to the carnage of war - an epic tale of empire versus rebellion and a young man thrust into battle.

Will Raynor joined the navy in the hopes of an escape from an ever-industrializing Britannica and its polluted skies.

The New World promises to satisfy his taste for adventure, but all is not what it seems. Swept into a decade's long conflict for control of Britannica’s newest island colony, Will's focus turns to his own survival as he quickly learns the rumors back home are true: the island is plagued with savages. The Orcs, ruthless warriors suppressed by Britannica, await a warlord to lead them.

Will and his crew are ambushed on his first mission. They are taken prisoner by a cunning Orc Warlord determined to liberate his people from Britannica’s iron-fisted empire. While escaping, Will falls in love with a local girl just as the island falls into chaos as Britannica’s armies are beaten back. Will is given the opportunity to flee for safety but elects to stay with her and stand shoulder to shoulder with his friends on the battle lines. Will witnesses his friends fall and the island burn around him as Britannica’s control over the island crumbles to the Warlord’s fury. Will is no war hero but he is utterly determined to survive. Through that determination he is destined to rise up and become the hero he never knew he could be.

I'm currently on what I hope is my last stage of edits and i'm wondering what my next steps are in terms of getting an agent or talking to a publisher. I'm in Guelph Canada so a publisher close by maybe Toronto would be best. This is the first book of what I want to become a series but all I know how to do is think of worlds and characters and then stumble along with the writing part, more so with the editing part and hope people like my ideas. Anyway that's where I am at. Thanks for reading!

Congrats on finishing! :)

I'd recommend trying to find any agents/publishers who are still interested in fantasy utilizing any 'tolkien' races, I know that can be a turn off for some in recent years, and start by submitting to them first.

After that, whether you hear back positively or not, be proud that you've finished your first, many never do. I'd right away start on your next entirely new series — hold off on starting the next book of that series until you know for certain book one will be sold.

Good luck with the editing, don't be afraid to re-write or cut things ;) and congrats again

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in, and being a bit frustrated. First the good. Well, my numbers weren't so good this week. Only 3,998 words. For a total of 38,345 words.

But I wrote 2 intros (for an additional 400), and 8 poems.

So not to bad for this week!

The frustrating thing for me, and I know it's all me -- I am shying away from really digging in to details, and I'm not sure why. I am confident in my storyline, my characters, their histories and their abilities. But as evidenced in my 2 intros, I am not giving the level of detail I should, and when I do it gets all info dumpy. *sigh*. The only thing I can do now is to continue where I am and revisit the details later. I can do it on something that I don't really care about, or is written in a more light and fun way.

I would love any suggestions for breaking through that detail barrier while walking the fine line between detail and info dump.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe that's just one of those things you have to do in revision? I think we all have something we need to be mindful enough about that it often gets its own pass, and maybe knowing you're going to get back to it later will make it less worrisome/dragging during first drafts?

Good luck either way, and HTH.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Newest book is at 92k, but only about three quarters done. I didn't want it to go over 100k, but it looks like it will. Hopefully editing trims it down significantly.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I have the opposite problem. I struggle to stay above 90k. Between now and April I've added two chapters yet lost 7k words (from 97 to 90). Everytime I go through it, even when I specifically go through to add in stuff, I find things to cut back on.

I think I need to add in more transitions and narrative fluff. A lot of my chapters are barebones in some ways. I guess I'm an under-writer (not the insurance kind).

Last edited:

Theodore Koukouvitis

Registered
Reaction score
Just starting my 3rd novel (2371 words), as I'm about to publish my 2nd one (102k words) on Amazon.

Starting a book feels the same every time. A mix of hope, fear and confusion. :)

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. I struggle to stay above 90k. Between now and April I've added two chapters yet lost 7k words (from 97 to 90). Everytime I go through it, even when I specifically go through to add in stuff, I find things to cut back on.

I think I need to add in more transitions and narrative fluff. A lot of my chapters are barebones in some ways. I guess I'm an under-writer (not the insurance kind).

I'm a barebones writer as well - my alpha readers always point out my lack of transitions and random fluff. But I think I work so heavily with outlines that I just hit all the major points and move on, haha. My last novel gained 23k between drafts one and two because of this.

I'm about halfway through the second and final book in my little duet. And I found an idea that wouldn't go away, so I'm also working a bit on a second novel when I get the inspiration. I know some other writers on the forum do this, but how about people here in the SFF specific genre? Does anyone struggle going between two unrelated projects?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also an underwriter. To a certain extent, it's a choice. I've found that a lot of books contain significant amounts of non-storyline-related prose--I hesitate to call it 'padding', since that implies a motive. I often find myself skipping whole sections, because I really don't care if the protagonist is getting a divorce because he drinks too much--I want to know about the zombie curse, dagnabbit! :tongue

But you can go too far in the sparse writing direction as well. Among other things, I under-describe, and don't spend enough effort on transitions. So I'm gradually learning what I need to concentrate on, partly from crits and partly by reading other novels with an eye for where the author spends their time.