Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718
    practical experience, FTW Stephen Palmer's Avatar
    There's also the point that different books need different voices.
    A trilogy fantasy needs a different voice to a 60k literary work.

Glad to find some activity here again. Always surprised to see so many people having trouble getting word counts up. Me, I have trouble getting them down.

Latest book is nearing the end of the first draft. It has been a difficult journey and will require a lot of changes. This is my first attempt to use a woman's POV, and I've had troubles pinning her down.

Oh hey, somehow I missed this thread in my travels! Nice to be here hanging out with you all.

Hoping to knuckle-down on my urban fantasy project before the end of the month. All, er, three days of it... not much time to hit my wordcount goals (from the JuneNoWriMo thread, which I really recommend for motivation), but all I can do is try.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    New avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon.

WIP1
    GB (Scottish MG Fantasy) | WIP2 DtS (M/M British Urban Fantasy)
    Resting: Giant Robots Project

Honorary Aussie (thanks BF!) BryanT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanT View Post
    Just checking in, and being a bit frustrated. First the good. Well, my numbers weren't so good this week. Only 3,998 words. For a total of 38,345 words.
    I'm now at 43,500. For a grand total of 5,155 words this week. WOO HOO.

Though my critique partner has pointed out some really bad areas in my story. I think I am going to have to go back and add some additional story, as one of the 2 MCs has no investment at all (in all fairness, I wasn't expecting her to be a MC, It just kind of happened.
    Last edited by BryanT; 07-01-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by be frank View Post
    It takes 42 muscles to frown, but only 4 to raise your middle finger.
    You can also read my poetry on All Poetry

I've been working on the same black-hole life-sucking story since 2002. Currently up to 25K, but that was after I did a complete rewrite of what I had about 8 years ago. I don't feel particularly frustrated by this; I read some great advice recently that said every trashed draft is progress toward a polished product. I really appreciated that.

Mine used to be an epic fantasy, but now it's moving in a much more literary direction, so it's becoming an interesting amalgam. I've been derailed from working on it for close to a year now because of other writing related projects, but with any luck I'll be moving in that direction again shortly.

I really just want to finish it before I die; polished or no.

Left-Handed Writing Fairy folclor's Avatar
    I need to really finish my book. I keep telling myself, "I'll finish it this month," but I've been saying that since April and three or four rewrites of the opening have left me with about 6,000 words. And I'm not even to Chapter 4. *sigh* It's all technically still 'first draft' so I'm not too upset about the word count yet, but I have no idea how I'll be ready to submit in January with this lack of progression.
    WIP: Dark Fantasy (possibly YA?)

Published work:
    Factions: End of an Era

figuring it all out
    So, I just rewrote the intro to an idea of mine, and I only came up to ~700 words. Any advice on how to get word counts up?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Canislupus54 View Post
    So, I just rewrote the intro to an idea of mine, and I only came up to ~700 words. Any advice on how to get word counts up?
    Leave it alone. Adding padding just for the sake of word count will make it a pain when you have to go back to edit it.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjani View Post
    Leave it alone. Adding padding just for the sake of word count will make it a pain when you have to go back to edit it.
    Thanks for your input. I've gotten some feedback elsewhere that I think will help expand it without padding, but I'll keep this in mind.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Gabriela Jessica's Avatar
    I'm still plotting my trilogy. Though this trilogy is just for training.
    I am currently working on my first series.

Check my social medias:
    Twitter: if you want to listen to my daily rambling.Instagram: if you need quotes Facebook: for no reason
    Blog: if you want to see my reviews

Short story that I've been working on (well more off than on if I'm honest) for 7 years complete at ~5k and sent to betas!

I keep saying I'm nearing the end of the first draft of Aberrations. I seem to still be nearing the end. While I've been adding words, I've deleted well over 5k. Word Count is over 116k, but the finish line is in sight. All I need is a little writing time.

Quote Originally Posted by yumpty-tum View Post
    Short story that I've been working on (well more off than on if I'm honest) for 7 years complete at ~5k and sent to betas!
    Congratulations. Completions are something to celebrate!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin MythicalMage's Avatar
    So this is my first time posting here, XD. I more or less starting taking writing seriously about a year ago.
    My first completed project, which I can't even think of the name of off the top of my head, was for NaNoWriMo and I've basically kept that pace up. That project was, naturally, right at 50k words. Between February and March I finished another project, something of a Fantasy Heist called Seven Foxes that was around 95k. Mostly in May, with a little spillover into June I wrote the a novel called Duelists about sport gladiatorial rapier and dagger fencing, that manged to only reach 75k before I was sick of it. My current WIP is about 25k in, a quarter, and unlike my other projects I'm doing a first pass revision immediately rather than along the way, and the revision for the first block is more than half done already. Though it may not seem like it, I'm a chronic underwriter, so I think this revision pass will actually up the word count, hopefully to a nice round number like 30k. I also have an Urban Fantasy side project that's stolen a couple thousand words, and a dream project that I'll start one day which is still in the brainstorming stages.

So I guess you could say I've been busy. :P
    Just write the thing.

The end of Aberrations is farther away than the last time I posted. I wrote a couple of great chapters, but the next day realized they didn't work. Sigh. I have to somehow get the MC well into her role as advisor to the lords of the province, in as few words as possible, before her brother comes back and stirs the pot until it boils over.

While I am working things out, the book I deserted to write this one, jabs at my mind. It had gone off track somehow, and I didn't know how to fix it. I thought by the time I could get back to it, I'd have it all figured out, but I don't.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718