AW Amazon Affiliate Store

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Sakura Publishing & Technologies

Threaded View

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by djv124 View Post
    So what you are saying is that Tupelo press is a vanity press because they charge a reading fee?
    I'm calling Sakura Publishing a vanity press because you charge reading fees.

If you don't understand the difference between reading fees and contest fees, check out the link I provided.

It's obvious you just don't want to hear that authors have a responsibility to invest in their books they write.
    The investment is writing the book.

The investment should not be paying a vanity press.

If you have a press who encourages you to buy copies of your books at the onset, they are being forward thinking about the fact that they want you to succeed and know that this makes sense on so many levels I don't have room here to type them all.
    If you are a press which encourages your authors to buy their books in bulk at the onset, you are being clear that you want to make a profit off your authors at the start. This has nothing to do with authors succeeding.

It's smart BUSINESS (assuming of course these presses aren't scamming through book buying).
    It may be smart BUSINESS for the vanity press.

It's not smart BUSINESS for the author because they are now out of pocket.

ETA : Also, how can the author know for certain that the press doesn't make any profit off of such bulk book orders?

You are looking at publishing as this romanticized notion of send your manuscript in, get accepted, sit back and let your publishers do all the work.
    And you are looking at publishing from the point of view of a vanity press.

Maybe twenty years ago that miiiight have been somewhat true, but today more than ever, with all the options authors have at their fingertips, this makes no sense for authors to do their best to market themselves in addition to what their publishers do. And one of the best and most easiest ways for an author to do that is to buy books, sell them to their friends and family, and get a bunch of reviews put up on amazon that way. If you can't see how that isn't good business, we're done talking about this.
    Authors becoming salespeople to their families and friends, and getting those families and friends to write reviews, is not a good way for an author to market themselves.

But then again, by your logic, you think the presses I listed are vanity presses
    You're wrong about that too, unfortunately.

so maybe I am fighting a losing battle here if you seriously want to call those presses vanities.

And curious, why wouldn't you recommend Sakura? If it's for the reasons you've discussed, then that means you wouldn't recommend a company like Tupelo, one of the most distinguished presses for poetry writers in the WORLD, because they charge a reading fee?
    I don't recommend Sakura Publishing because Sakura Publishing is a vanity press which charges reading fees and which encourages authors to buy their own books in bulk, with the founder apparently believing that an author should become a salesperson selling these books to families and friends.

Enough said I suppose. Good to talk to you and take care. Good luck to you with all your publishing endeavors, if you are even a writer.
    Stay classy.
    Last edited by Marian Perera; 07-18-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    Historical romance : 3500 words.