Quote Originally Posted by djv124 View Post
I think you are misunderstanding, once again, my point. I am not saying that we weren't a vanity press. In the past, sure, I guess if you want to call us a vanity press, fine. But what I am NOT okay with is the negative stigma attached to being called a vanity press.
It's not just in the past.

If you charge writers reading fees, you are a vanity press. If you sell authors their own books in bulk and encourage them to make these purchases, you are a vanity press.

I won't stand for that, as we didn't adopt the unscrupulous practices that many vanity presses do.
It doesn't matter. If you charge authors for any aspect of book production, you are a vanity press. Whether you are scrupulous or unscrupulous about it is another matter.

However, you are trying to provide a weak argument saying that we are STILL a vanity press. Why, because we physically process the money that we take from the authors to get their books printed by the printers that we use?
If you encourage writers to buy their own books in bulk from you, that makes you a vanity press.

I can understand that for some people, this is a wonderful chance for a crappy publisher to sneak in some dollars, over inflate the cost of a print production, and then make money that way. But by even suggesting this, you are accusing US of doing that. I won't stand for that. We have NEVER done that, not even when we were a "VANITY PRESS." When we say authors get the books at cost to print, we mean exactly that. But just because we handle their orders doesn't make us automatically crooks.
Who said you were crooks?

I said that your charging authors for any aspect of book production made you a vanity press. Trying to obfuscate the issue with claims that you didn't actually take their money because you had to pay the printer makes no difference.

But like I said before, I am an author, too, and I have always approached publishing to do what's best for the author.
What's best for authors isn't paying reading fees and buying hundreds of copies of their own books.

And yeah, I charged. So what?
So that makes you a vanity press and one that cannot be recommended.

And one final note before I get back to selling books, reading fees are something, again, I don't need to dignify at all. It takes time to read all the manuscripts we receive.
Part of the cost of doing business. Fobbing that cost off on the author isn't what reputable presses do.

And as for presses that are reputable that have reading fees, geez, where do I even begin? Aqueous books (open free periods and then contests, which is the same type of deal),
A contest is not the same as a press which charges a reading fee for each submission.

More about whether or not to pay a contest fee.