AW Amazon Affiliate Link

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Sakura Publishing & Technologies

Threaded View

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by djv124 View Post
    The comparison of calling me a drug dealer who sells meth because I had a press that charged authors is basically adopting the attitude that ALL vanity presses are bad.
    No. It's saying that if you charge authors for any part of production, you're a vanity press.

It's not making a value judgment about whether vanity presses are good or bad.

Maybe that's a deserved conception, as most are as I had mentioned, but my question is, when did it get to be a BAD thing to charge an author to help put their book out?
    It's not a good thing for authors who believe they're being "traditionally" published.

Or better yet, are all presses that charge automatically considered evil drug dealing scum, so to speak?
    All presses that charge are vanity presses.

I guess I don't understand how you can lump me in with vanity presses that were or are less than scrupulous with their business approach, being that I was always up front with my authors about what they were paying, why they were paying it, and where that money was going.
    It doesn't matter to me whether you were up front about what your authors were paying or why they were paying it.

The bottom line is : if you charge money, you are a vanity press.

So I can't agree with your analogy. I made no qualms about charging authors because I don't see the inherent problem in doing that when the authors I charged BEGGED ME to help them and had NO ISSUES at all paying
    Doesn't matter.

If someone BEGS me to sell them meth, and if they have NO ISSUES at all with paying for meth, it still makes me a drug dealer if I sell them meth.

I don't get to hide behind, "But they wanted it!" Or, for that matter, "I spent hours on the phone to educate them about rehab and they still wanted meth, so I had no choice but to sell them some. That doesn't make me a dealer!"

As for still being a vanity press, where the heck are you getting that from? Because I charge a reading fee? For your information, there are HUNDREDS of reputable and amazing presses that charge reading fees, simply because of the expenses over their heads.
    Oh really?

Name some of those reputable and amazing presses. Go on.

And finally, the whole part about where I suggest buying books. Okay, I knew that somebody out there would look at that and think what I'm suggesting is buy books so I can make a quick buck off each sale. Here's the deal: If a book cost me 2.55 to print and I charge my authors 2.55 to get that book, does that answer your question where the money goes, or do I honestly need to spell that out for you? (HINT: It starts with "P" and ends with "RINTERS" lol).
    But you do get the money, though. The author doesn't pay the printer directly.

The reason I suggest buying books to start is simple: It works.
    It works if you want your press to make a quick profit off of authors, certainly.
    Last edited by Marian Perera; 07-18-2014 at 06:15 AM.