• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Contest] Hour of Writes

chopper

Steven Poore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stevenpoore.wordpress.com
Hi there all

Our writers' group has received this by email. I thought I'd do a bit of research on it but there doesn't appear to be a thread here as yet. Would this be a good thing or a bad thing? (It's the "free credit"/"cash prize" part that has the Doubting Thomas in me awakened)

Steve P

Dear Sir or Madam,

I hope you are very well and that 2014 has got off to a good start for you. My name is Alison Ireland and I am writing to you because you are a writer, and I think, a member of a writing group. For some time I’ve been working on a new literary website called Hour of Writes. There is more information about it below.

We’re currently asking like-minded writers from all over the world to pre-register as founder members before the public launch of the site, and to help us with the testing phase, to take place in February: www.hourofwrites.com. Write to us if you want to be involved!

Hour of Writes is also conducting some research for a series of articles for publication about creative writing, and how people relate creative writing practice to their private, work and social lives. Much of the material for these pieces comes from a big survey we’re conducting, of writers and writing groups all over the world and I'd like to invite you to take part (it's anonymous):

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HourofWritesGroups001.

This survey relates to involvement in writing groups - if this isn't you then let me know and I will send you the link for our other survey which is purely for individual writers.

In return for completing the survey, we’ll give you a free credit (competition entry) to use on the Hour of Writes website following its launch this Sprin g – instructions are at the end of the survey. We’ll also send you the articles mentioned above as they’re published.

In brief summary of Hour of Writes: it is designed to be a peaceful space – a blank piece of paper - in the busy online world, where you can find time to write down, share and structure your thoughts, in the context of a life which often has other priorities. The focus point is an hour-long writing competition each week (with a cash prize). Sometimes, when variables are controlled, the mind’s creativity is able to flourish. It feels like freedom.
Interested? Pre-register and we'll let you know when we launch.

I hope you don’t mind my writing to you – if you do please tell me and I won’t write again. Similarly, feel free to share the email and survey with fellow writers! Thanks for your time.

With warm regards,

Alison Ireland

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It looks interesting, but before I write anything for a competition I want to know how it's going to be used and what rights I may be surrendering by entering.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a tad concerned about this:

Hour of Writes is also conducting some research for a series of articles for publication about creative writing, and how people relate creative writing practice to their private, work and social lives. Much of the material for these pieces comes from a big survey we’re conducting, of writers and writing groups all over the world and I'd like to invite you to take part (it's anonymous)

So... you write something in a survey, for free, about your experiences, they mine that anonymously-written content and use it for their articles? Instead of just hiring someone to write the articles legitimately or putting out a real submission call? Hmm...

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't get past the headline: "In Defense of Hour of Writes." I wonder why they're having to defend themselves before they even get started.