Can you publish to Smash words and Amazon at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know Amazon gives you an ISBN- can you use it at Smashwords? Is it one or the other?

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon gives you an AIN (I think that's what it's called) which is only used on Amazon. Smashwords gives you a free ISBN if you publish with them and select the "Free ISBN" option during the publishing process. I only know this because I went through the same rigmarole about three hours ago :).

After you publish with Smashwords while active at Amazon, you have to first go to "Channel Manager" and "opt out" of having Amazon as a distributor (this will prevent your book from being "double listed"). Apparently, that's a bad thing :). Then go to "ISBN Manager" and select the "Free ISBN" option. That's what I did, and it seems to be working fine. Please note that I'm no expert...

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Yes, you can. Just make sure you don't use the amazon channel at Smashwords, though. This also assumes you're not enrolled in KDP Select.

SunshineonMe

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are so patient- thank you!
So, if I just go with Smashwords, it will do send it to Amazon also?
So I don't need to do it at Amazon then...

Last question, it seems like one would want to do Smashwords then, what is the benefit of just doing it through Amazon?

Thank you so much!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Going direct tends to give you more control. For example, if anything goes wrong when Smashwords sends your book to Amazon (eg. the cover is missing) you'd have to ask Smashwords to fix it, then wait for them to get around to it, when you could have fixed it yourself. Plus you'd have to wait for Amazon to send sales numbers to Smashwords, whereas if you publish directly through Amazon, they'll report sales numbers in real time via the KDP Dashboard. In addition, Smashwords will take a cut of your Amazon royalties.

SunshineonMe

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much!! So I do want to publish to both, but separately, is that right? And only if I hadn't done Amazons special deal thing. Last question (I'm lying, I can feel it) Why do you want to publish to Amazon's special exclusive deal thing?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Smashwords only distributes certain e-book titles to Amazon since Amazon requires each title to be loaded separately rather than in a group by using a bulk upload. That takes more time. Smashwords will take that time if your title is among their bestselling e-book, otherwise they will not.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Why do you want to publish to Amazon's special exclusive deal thing?

I would also like to know this, as I've been lurking around and trying to decide on self-publishing. I keep hearing about getting locked down for months at a time with KDP, but I'm not sure if that's what you guys are talking about.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Smashwords only distributes certain e-book titles to Amazon since Amazon requires each title to be loaded separately rather than in a group by using a bulk upload. That takes more time. Smashwords will take that time if your title is among their bestselling e-book, otherwise they will not.

Aha, I hadn't realised - I always opt out via Channel Manager.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Thank you so much!! So I do want to publish to both, but separately, is that right? And only if I hadn't done Amazons special deal thing. Last question (I'm lying, I can feel it) Why do you want to publish to Amazon's special exclusive deal thing?

I would also like to know this, as I've been lurking around and trying to decide on self-publishing. I keep hearing about getting locked down for months at a time with KDP, but I'm not sure if that's what you guys are talking about.

The benefits of Amazon KDP Select are:

1. Amazon Prime Members can borrow your book through the Kindle Owners Lending Library (KOLL). You receive a royalty for each lend.

2. You have the opportunity to make your title free for up five 24-hour periods or offer a Countdown deal.

3. Offering a title free usually gets your title on "Also Bought" lists. This can lead to impulse purchases when someone sees your book cover and info. while they are perusing the Amazon site.

The drawbacks:

1. Your title cannot be available through any other sales channel.

2. No first chapters or excerpts can be posted anywhere on the web. Amazon has the exclusive rights to your title for 90 days.

3. You are automatically signed up to continue to be in Select unless you unselect that title's participation.

4. If you previously had your e-book available at other retailers, you will need to remove them while your title is in Select.

SunshineonMe

Registered
Reaction score
Well, what if your work is posted here, under syw?

PS THANK YOU!

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Not to complicate things further, but my recommendation would be:

1. First publish to Amazon/KDP and sign up for Select for the first 90 days.

2. Then use Draft2Digital (not Smashwords) for the other major channels, like Kobo, iBooks, etc.

I've had my book out for almost a year, and discovered that the benefits of Select (borrows) far outweighed the paltry sales I got through the other channels. YMMV, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.