Hello!

Peggles

Registered
Reaction score
I have been a lurker for a while, and I am excited to finally contribute. I love this forum and think there is a ton of great information!

I have a BA in Writing, and I worked in journalism (mostly during college) for a few years before landing a job in retail management. In school I also served as Editor-in-Chief of the school paper.

In what was probably one of the best moments of my life, I was able to quit my job this past December to write full-time thanks to my super supportive husband.

I write fiction and am currently working on a YA/fantasy novel, though I do short stories, too. I have written a four other first drafts of novels, the first of which is a terrible mess, and the other three may be salvageable one day, but I am grateful for the lessons I learned in writing each of them. I have had one short story published in a small journal, and I was selected to present another at a convention.

I wanted to join this community because I feel like I can give something back with my editing experience, and I always love a good literary discussion. My current goal is to finish the first draft of my current WIP by mid-February, and to edit it for submission. After that, I have ideas for a few more novel projects, though I might polish one of my older manuscripts.

Building a writer community for myself is another goal of mine for this year. The area I live in has very little in terms of writing groups. I don't have a very strong support network (other than my husband), and I have recently struggled with friends I thought would be supportive criticizing my recent career decisions. It's been a challenge, so I decided I needed to find writers who would understand, aka, you guys.

I am really looking forward to getting to know you all and contributing as a writing buddy, critique partner/beta, and as a contributor. I have read the newbie stickies, and I think I'm ready to go!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Glad you stopped lurking.

tfang1289

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome! I'm new too. AW is such an awesome place.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Hey peggles. Your story means a lot to me because I understand what you are going through. Making a career change can be tough, especially when the people you care for aren't supportive. I was pretty much at the steps of a promising medical career when I decided to stop doing what I was good in and liked and to start doing what I've loved since I was a kid. In my culture, it's doctor, lawyer, or bust. That's it. I went through a gauntlet of my personal friends, classmates, teachers, ex-gf (broke up with me because I spent too much time writing and thought my new career path was time consuming, as if a surgeon's life isn't), family friends, and family itself trying to convince me otherwise. I almost buckled but didn't. A few of my friends really support me now and my immediate family does now too, but my extended family (especially some of the rich, snobby ones) and the rest give me this dismissive look, one that is equivalent to "you are wasting your life", when I mention its not about the money to me or when I mention I have just finished revising a new novel. Usually after mentioning the latter, they just ignore what I said and start a new conversation. I hope you stay strong and we can become good friends on the boards; I think it is important for more writers to share their full stories.

Peggles

Registered
Reaction score
Shaba, thanks for sharing, and wow, a med career! It's definitely tough a lot of days. I think the crazy looks are some of the hardest things. I too was on track to make a very good life for myself, as I was on a fast track promotion path to corporate executive positions. I was already making good pay, and I was set to make a lot more, and getting people to understand that it has never been about money has been difficult.

The one thing that I have been starting to realize, though, is that the only people that matter are the ones who are supportive. My husband has never questioned me about writing, because he knows it is the only thing that will make me happy. Quitting my job did cut our income significantly, and we moved to a much smaller apartment to do it. He has never doubted that it was the right move, and he actually convinced me to do it. If it wasn't for his support, I probably would never have left my old job, no matter how unhappy I was.

People ignore me, too, when I talk about writing. My most recent skeptic was a long-time friend that I was sure would be supportive. I would love to see her face if I did the same thing to her and changed the subject whenever she brought up her career.

The way I see things, and I bet you see it the same, is that if I could walk away from a long-term, high-paying career in which I was doing very well to follow my dream, I know that I am doing the right thing. People that don't understand that aren't worth my time.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
I do see it that way. I agree that many days are tough and they suck and sometimes you feel like what can I do to get where I want to be because I'm not there yet but I'm closer than before, and then there are those days where the words fly onto the page and you don't want to stop writing because you'll lose that high and you're afraid that you might never feel like this again. But the most important thing is, whether the days are good or bad, I feel exactly as you said: I know that I am doing the right thing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Peggles, and welcome to AW. I completely understand the lack of beta readers thing, too. A friend I've known for 30 years offered to beta my first novel. Two years later, I'm still waiting for feedback.

I wish you all the best. "Professional Writer" has to be the most satisfying phrase to write on a tax form.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary to help you get started. And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With your attitude, skillset, and support system, you're gonna be a success --no doubt in my mind.

:welcome: to a forum of writers helping writers. :hi: