Who are today's literary greats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know who Kingsolver is, but is King considered literary? I would put him more in the genre category, but then I've only read some of his early horror novels.
I agree he's a great novelist, extremely prolific with a wide range of content. Some of his work is very genre focused, some of his genre fiction that I have read has strong literary elements in places. Sometimes he will mix literary moments, heart stopping suspense and brutal all out gore in the same novel like Misery lol.

Look at the amazing craft in a short story like Apt Pupil, and tell me that doesn't stack up with literary greats.
Perhaps one could call Hearts in Atlantis literary.

Margaret Atwood is my big favorite. I used to read so much literary fiction but I've been focusing on writing genre so I've been reading genre. I haven't even got to Maddadam in my tbr list which is pretty sad. I've bought it though.

Last edited:

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be that guy and say David Foster Wallace. As far as I'm concerned, he's the best writer of his time.

In case I didn't ruin whatever popularity I had on these forums, I'd also say Jonathan Franzen deserves entry into the conversation. Whatever one may think about him personally, the man is incapable of writing a bad sentence.

Also, Zadie Smith and Jeffry Eugenides I think have earned a mention (and I'm glad to see they've such a received mention from others on the thread).

Last edited:

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
Wallace, definitely. I went through a phase where my fan-girling for him had almost religious proportions. I'd definitly rank Infinite Jest among the most transformative reading experiences in my life. Of course that puts me in a certain category of DFW-fan which is easily mockable (it's the kind of preference you shouldn't admit to on dating profiles for instance, if you want to appeal to women at least, as it causes almost as much wariness as professed love for Bukowski, Pahlaniuk or the Beats).

Still, I think everyone who cares about literature should at least be able to see the appeal (even if it may not have much personal resonance or if over-identification with the characters might be a bit of a problem). I'm fairly confident that after the hype, the backslash and the backslash to the backslash, his relevance will persist.

Franzen however... eh. I found him readable enough, so I would probably co-sign your attestation of basic competence, but I've never met someone who's getting all starry-eyed about him. He generally doesn't evoke too much passion - rarely among his defenders, and, I would argue, not even among his detractors, who often focus more on his old-man-yells-at-cloud stick in his essays and other public pronouncements than his actual work. (My beef is that he mostly just affirms a view of the world already pretty familiar to me; he captures that accurately and there's probably some value in that alone, but it's not exactly an under-represented perspective on things; so far there hasn't been anything particularly eye-opening to me about reading him. And as far as mere elegance of prose goes, I like McEwan better.)

Anyone vouching for Junot Diaz? I haven't yet come around to reading him, but I've heard some good things.

Last edited:

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Franzen however... eh. I found him readable enough, so I would probably co-sign your attestation of basic competence, but I've never met someone who's getting all starry-eyed about him. He generally doesn't evoke too much passion - rarely among his defenders, and, I would argue, not even among his detractors, who often focus more on his old-man-yells-at-cloud stick in his essays and other public pronouncements than his actual work. (My beef is that he mostly just affirms a view of the world already pretty familiar to me; he captures that accurately and there's probably some value in that alone, but it's not exactly an under-represented perspective on things; so far there hasn't been anything particularly eye-opening to me about reading him. And as far as mere elegance of prose goes, I like McEwan better.)

I am such a starry-eyed individual.

The nonfiction has a tendency to get a bit curmudgeony, but again, the writing is superb, at least in my opinion. In my experience, criticism of Franzen always seems to be deeply personal (he hates the internet, he's a bird-watcher, he said Wallace embellished some of the details in his essays, etc.) and has very little to do with the work.

As far as perspective goes, I would think that The Corrections especially should be considered unique. He's writing a novel about the importance of the family unit (without the annoying rhetoric of the religious right) during a time when everyone else is bitching about their own parents. As one critic elegantly put it he's "a writer of filial sentiment in an oedipal age."

railroad

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Franzen, so I Amazoned him and went to the "Look Inside" feature for his book Freedom. Here is the first sentence:

The news about Walter Berglund wasn't picked up locally—he and Patty had moved away to Washington two years earlier and meant nothing to St. Paul now—but the urban gentry of Ramsey Hill were not so loyal to their city as not to read the New York Times.

Honestly, if that kind of clunky sentence structure makes someone a literary great, I have great concerns about the future of the publishing industry.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to disagree with Zadie Smith being on the list. I found her overrated.

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
In my experience, criticism of Franzen always seems to be deeply personal (he hates the internet, he's a bird-watcher, he said Wallace embellished some of the details in his essays, etc.) and has very little to do with the work.

My point exactly. It could be a sign that he's unfairly persecuted; it could also be a sign that the work itself doesn't provide enough dynamite to spark debate.

I remember liking The Corrections well enough (although I don't remember much of it, only that it did contain some bitching about parents as well; the patriarch at least didn't come across too well in my eyes - the over-all impression w/r/t the family unit left with me was ambivalence, which is what I would expect from high brow literature, which rarely provides a straightforward endorsement of anything), but I don't think that the theme of family dynamics is particularly innovative, just because this time it's taken up by a man. (Not that you desperately need to be original about themes;I might have derailed this discussion a little; I don't want to create the impression I overvalue novelty).

That said, I do think he explores his themes with some nuance, which is always nice to see, so it's not as if I couldn't see the appeal. I'm just not sure he's standing out enough to be preserved by canon. But I probably couldn't provide a compelling rationale for my picks in that regard either, apart from greater personal resonance.

Last edited:

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe no one's offered David Mitchell. So I'm tossing that hat into the ring.

SimplyWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'll go with Cormac McCarthy. And how about John Irving?

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
And how about John Irving?

I think Irving is great at sweeping narratives, but I have to admit I haven't read anything since Widow, and felt it pretty uninspiring. I've had Fourth Hand and the latest one on my Kindle of a while but can't slide into them.

Garp was the first grown-up book I ever read, and thought nothing could be better. And then I read Hotel New Hampshire, which remains one of my favorite books. Though I really like it, Cider House rules is a bit too on-the-nose for me, and I know lots of people who love OWEN MEANY but I'm not one of them. So I'd give him one masterpiece, two really good ones and a while bunch of "eh"s from me.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Ian McEwan. I can see Barbara Kingsolver surviving. Definitely Alice Munro.

And in a wait-and-see position, Anthony Marra, whose A Constellation of Vital Phenomena was a convincing start.

coffeepresto

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is old..but I did not see Leslie Marmon Silko's name here and that needed to be rectified. If you haven't yet, I urge all of you netizens to read her masterpiece Ceremony. :)

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Garp was the first grown-up book I ever read, and thought nothing could be better. And then I read Hotel New Hampshire, which remains one of my favorite books. Though I really like it, Cider House rules is a bit too on-the-nose for me, and I know lots of people who love OWEN MEANY but I'm not one of them. So I'd give him one masterpiece, two really good ones and a while bunch of "eh"s from me.

Yes Garp was the first grown up book I ever read and yes I thought nothing could be better too, and I read all his work up until Owen Meany. I LOVED Owen Meany, but oddly have never read anything of his since Owen Meany, for no discernible reason. My husband bought the Widow book which I've never got around to reading.

Livilla

Registered
Reaction score
Philip Roth
David Lodge
Alan Hollinghurst

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Franzen, so I Amazoned him and went to the "Look Inside" feature for his book Freedom. Here is the first sentence:

The news about Walter Berglund wasn't picked up locally—he and Patty had moved away to Washington two years earlier and meant nothing to St. Paul now—but the urban gentry of Ramsey Hill were not so loyal to their city as not to read the New York Times.

Honestly, if that kind of clunky sentence structure makes someone a literary great, I have great concerns about the future of the publishing industry.

I got about halfway through both Freedom and The Corrections. I found the characters compelling, the situations they were in interesting, and the writing good, but at the 50% point of each story I still had no idea what the books were about.

I liked Orhan Pamuk's Snow, but I have to confess I've not read many of the other books people here are discussing. I guess the Tom Perrotta, John Updike, Dave Eggers and Douglas Coupeland I've been reading would be better placed in mainstream/contemporary, and I'm okay with that.

ETA Of the short stories I've read from Alice Munro and others, I'm very much impressed.

Evelyn

I'm writing!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gailbridges.com
I would add Octavia Butler to the list. She is known for her beautifully literary science fiction books (Parable of the Sower, for starters) that are such powerful glimpses of the human condition that you forget that they're science fiction. She's also written historical fiction (Kindred) and other genre fiction. I've loved all of them.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Early 20th Century literature had several big name writers producing amazing works, among them Hemingway, Faulkner, Steinbeck, and Fitzgerald.

Who, in your opinion, are the literary equivalents of those writers currently being published today?

MICHAEL CHABON, JONATHAN LETHEM.

BAM!

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Franzen, so I Amazoned him and went to the "Look Inside" feature for his book Freedom. Here is the first sentence: The news about Walter Berglund wasn't picked up locally—he and Patty had moved away to Washington two years earlier and meant nothing to St. Paul now—but the urban gentry of Ramsey Hill were not so loyal to their city as not to read the New York Times. Honestly, if that kind of clunky sentence structure makes someone a literary great, I have great concerns about the future of the publishing industry.
At first I was thinking "God this sentence is awful, why are they quoting it as good?" then I read the last comment. I was worried about my own aptitude for a moment. I am a bit embarrassed to admit, I don't read much (in quantity). Like, our apartment is filled to the brim with books, but really I only read during potty breaks or bubble baths or long road trips... I feel like my effort is better spent writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.