a peculiar research question

deeper

(so they say)
Registered
Reaction score
How, oh how, does one go about finding the cost of a long-distance phone call from Houston to Washington, D.C. circa 1960-1964? (I skimmed through the research pages listed here at Absolute Write and found no help.)

For months I have tried researching this online and also with the public library, to no avail. All I can find out is that the "long-distance operator" would quote a price for the initial minute (or two minutes?) and that there was an additional charge for every minute thereafter.

This cost info is rather crucial to my novel, because the child making the calls is going to have a difficult time acquiring the money, and I need to know just how much coinage he requires.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in those days there was a choice between person-to-person and station-to-station calls. Station-to-station calls were cheaper.

Could your character just call collect?

deeper

(so they say)
Registered
Reaction score
I should add that if I can find the cost of calling to and from "relatively nearby" locations, that will suffice. The cost of a call from Dallas or Fort Worth, for example, to Baltimore, for example, will be quite close enough.

deeper

(so they say)
Registered
Reaction score
Could your character just call collect?

No, because the person he wants to speak to doesn't know who he is at first, and does NOT want to talk to him.

The child making the calls must first use a pay-phone, and after that proves unworkable, he will break into somebody's house and call direct from their private phone. (The child plans to reimburse the home-owner later.)

Thank you for the suggestion, though, alleycat!

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Have yo considered asking AT&T? They must have a PR department.

deeper

(so they say)
Registered
Reaction score
Have yo considered asking AT&T? They must have a PR department.

I've been all over their website and haven't found anything remotely like a customer service department, or even a phone number to speak to a human being. But I'm not done searching there.

deeper

(so they say)
Registered
Reaction score
A hearty thank you to all who have tried to help!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Try AT&T's Press Room contacts:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1916

They may be able to get you an old rate book.

These days, everything is included (within the USA), but phone billing used to be covered based on zones called LATA's. If you made calls within your LATA, that was local calling. Local areas that were under different LATA's were local toll areas for you. And there was interstate long distance calling. Here's some FCC information on it.

The FCC suggests looking up your state's public service commission for rate information, and has a lookup tool for that. Call rates were heavily regulated when AT&T was an "approved" monopoly, so I think that's a good idea.

PaulLev

I was here 3 months from now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
Try AT&T's Press Room contacts:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1916

They may be able to get you an old rate book.

These days, everything is included (within the USA), but phone billing used to be covered based on zones called LATA's. If you made calls within your LATA, that was local calling. Local areas that were under different LATA's were local toll areas for you. And there was interstate long distance calling. Here's some FCC information on it.

The FCC suggests looking up your state's public service commission for rate information, and has a lookup tool for that. Call rates were heavily regulated when AT&T was an "approved" monopoly, so I think that's a good idea.

AT&T used to have a staff historian - not sure if they still do. I contacted him more than 30 years ago with a question about one of the early would-be investors in the telephone (who decided not to invest in it), and he was enormously helpful. He sent me xeroxes of clippings of old newspapers AT&T had on file.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How, oh how, does one go about finding the cost of a long-distance phone call from Houston to Washington, D.C. circa 1960-1964? (I skimmed through the research pages listed here at Absolute Write and found no help.)

For months I have tried researching this online and also with the public library, to no avail. All I can find out is that the "long-distance operator" would quote a price for the initial minute (or two minutes?) and that there was an additional charge for every minute thereafter.

This cost info is rather crucial to my novel, because the child making the calls is going to have a difficult time acquiring the money, and I need to know just how much coinage he requires.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

The rates varied with the time of day. The trick to figuring out rates is advertisements. Here are a few links to get you started. Most are Sunday after 6. Using this clue, you can find more

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Bell-T...300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aee5197b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Vintag...721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd6b67db9

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/ad_we-globe-1964_big.jpg

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/advertisements4.html

find a reason to put their catch phrases and slogans in your story. People eat that up

rt

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is even something of consideration/relevance, but wasn't the telephone company back then Southwestern Bell?

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is even something of consideration/relevance, but wasn't the telephone company back then Southwestern Bell?

All were divisions of the Bell Telephone System. but Southwestern Bell was the one spin-off which eventually gave AT&T leverage

Last edited: