AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Innovo Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin goldpeace's Avatar

Innovo Publishing

Does anyone know anything about them?
    "Stars shine brightest in the darkest skies"

Dancing With the Devil 1-4137-2631-3
    Houses of Blue 1-4137-3824-9

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    From their website:

Innovo publishes professional Christian and wholesome books, eBooks, audiobooks, music & film/video globally.

I haven't read through the entire (somewhat exhaustive) site, but it appears to be offering any form of publishing anyone could possibly want - which immediately makes me suspicious.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    From the website's sales pitch. It IS a sales pitch, BTW.
    Our Marketing Services include book video trailers, press releases, on-line chapter previews, ad campaigns, and book websites.

Specialty Book Services include language translation services, independent book reviews & critiques and more.
    Highlighting mine.

Services ALWAYS cost money. Where does it come from? The writers.

If they want your money, that is not to your advantage. It means they are not a "traditional" publisher, but a vanity/subsidy operation. Beware of weasel-wording.

Tate Publishing (which has its Jesus-praising all over its site) claims that they foot the bill for publication, but that the author has to pay 4 grand for a "publicist." Um, yeah, sure. Publicist. Uh-huh. (Translated that means Ryan Tate wants to buy a new Lexus.)

You'll find Tate on Writer Beware's 20 Thumb's Down list for that and similar crimes against writers.

The best way to find a legit Christian publisher is in the Writer's Market 2014, which will be in your library by now. Or go to a bookstore. Google the names + "complaints" and please keep coming here. You've got 7K friends on AW to watch your back.

The worst way is to look for "Christian publishers" on the Internet. Too many sharks.

It doesn't matter if the publisher is Christian or not. You want a place that publishes and SELLS the kind of books you write.

A place offering services means YOU, the writer, are their target market, not readers.
    Last edited by Gillhoughly; 01-19-2014 at 09:42 PM.

While they claim do to "Traditional" (standard advance/royalty) and "Cooperative") (author pays part of the cost) packages, the site seems to be most geared to self-publishing.

Ah, and here are their packages. I think that page speaks for itself.

I do give them points for publishing a sample agreement, though.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    I went to the link JulieB posted.

RUN LIKE HELL, RUN FAR FAR AWAY!

"Traditional" publisher??

My (rapidly expanding) ass.

Yes...I looked into in more, and-
    There needs to be some sort of written agreement that I would rally in groups/supporters who would agree to purchase the book until they, the publisher, re-coup their money.

An e-mail to me:

Thank you for your questions; I’d be happy to answer them. Our traditional authors are not required to invest any money in the publishing of their books. We still do POD, for the customers who purchase them; however, the traditionally published author will get a rolling stock of books sent to him/her to sell as he or she pleases. Upon sale of those books, we will expect payment of our portion of the royalties. Because with traditional publishing, the author splits the royalties (spelled out in the contract) with Innovo, and Innovo will retain the copyrights to the book.

Now keep in mind that you might “choose” traditional publishing, but Innovo has to “choose” you as a candidate. First, we have to decide if your book is something we want to invest in, and second, we have to see that your support network can translate into book sales that will result in us recouping our cost in the investment. If you think you have this type of support, for this preliminary review of your manuscript, send me a list (can be in an email) of organizations/groups who have already committed to supporting and promoting your book. For example, do you have bookstores already set to purchase copies of your book and/or host a book signing? Do you know of organizations who want to advertise your book on their websites? Do you run seminars on a regular basis where you can sell your book? Do you have regular speaking engagements to large crowds where you could bring books and do book signings? The idea is that you will have access to large amounts of people on a regular basis and have several organizations/groups backing you in this. Traditional publishing is a large team effort. If we see that your preliminary list (which will include names, contacts, and how they will support) looks promising, we will follow up with a more detailed form and discussion with you.

This is why we offer co-publishing and independent publishing as well. Not everyone will qualify for traditional publishing. Co-publishing requires a purchase of one of our publishing packages, but if your book sells 5,000 copies in three years, then we will refund 100% of the money you invested in the publishing package. You would split the royalties with Innovo with co-publishing, but you retain the copyrights to the book.

With independent publishing, you would have to purchase a publishing package, but there is not sales goal to reach. Subsequently, there is no refund. However, you will get 100% of the royalties—no splitting with Innovo. And you would also retain the copyrights.

Does this information help?

Quote Originally Posted by goldpeace View Post
    An e-mail to me:

Thank you for your questions; I’d be happy to answer them. Our traditional authors are not required to invest any money in the publishing of their books. We still do POD, for the customers who purchase them; however, the traditionally published author will get a rolling stock of books sent to him/her to sell as he or she pleases. Upon sale of those books, we will expect payment of our portion of the royalties. Because with traditional publishing, the author splits the royalties (spelled out in the contract) with Innovo, and Innovo will retain the copyrights to the book.

Now keep in mind that you might “choose” traditional publishing, but Innovo has to “choose” you as a candidate. First, we have to decide if your book is something we want to invest in, and second, we have to see that your support network can translate into book sales that will result in us recouping our cost in the investment. If you think you have this type of support, for this preliminary review of your manuscript, send me a list (can be in an email) of organizations/groups who have already committed to supporting and promoting your book. For example, do you have bookstores already set to purchase copies of your book and/or host a book signing? Do you know of organizations who want to advertise your book on their websites? Do you run seminars on a regular basis where you can sell your book? Do you have regular speaking engagements to large crowds where you could bring books and do book signings? The idea is that you will have access to large amounts of people on a regular basis and have several organizations/groups backing you in this. Traditional publishing is a large team effort. If we see that your preliminary list (which will include names, contacts, and how they will support) looks promising, we will follow up with a more detailed form and discussion with you.

This is why we offer co-publishing and independent publishing as well. Not everyone will qualify for traditional publishing. Co-publishing requires a purchase of one of our publishing packages, but if your book sells 5,000 copies in three years, then we will refund 100% of the money you invested in the publishing package. You would split the royalties with Innovo with co-publishing, but you retain the copyrights to the book.

With independent publishing, you would have to purchase a publishing package, but there is not sales goal to reach. Subsequently, there is no refund. However, you will get 100% of the royalties—no splitting with Innovo. And you would also retain the copyrights.

Does this information help?
    Already, I don't like the fact that a "traditional" contract weighs so heavily on the huge social media, promotion and marketing platform that You Are Supposed to Have in Place Beforehand. I mean before the book is accepted and then released. What hogwash. That goes way beyond any marketing plan I've ever heard of. You're supposed to be a brand-name star before you even debut.

Holy crap monster.

tri

Quote Originally Posted by goldpeace View Post
    An e-mail to me:

And... scene.
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

MAYBE IN PARIS - YA contemporary - coming June 6th 2017 from Sky Pony Press! Now available to preorder on Amazon!

Represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!

Add my book on Goodreads!

Facebook - I don't really know what I'm doing there yet
    Twitter - Sometimes I'm funny there
    Tumblr - My blog

To dance and write is divine. TheDancingWriter's Avatar
    I must come in with my own disturbed face. O_o

When Stars Die (AEC Stellar Publishing, Inc., being re-released soon.)
    I Am the Bell Jar (2013: A Stellar Collection)

Goodreads

At risk of ignoring my own best interests here (see 'Filigree' s Rule'), I'd say be very careful of that 5000 copy subsidy refund 'guarantee'. Several Christian publishers have this buried in their pitch copy, Tate being the largest (I think).

In reality, most authors will probably never come near this sales goal during the life of their contract, possibly prompting many of them to renew in hopes of extending the refund window. Even if the authors manage to hand-sell that many copies, the press still wins - they tend to charge a lot for their 'discounted' books.

However, many of these presses also safeguard the subsidy fee with careful language describing production stages and costs. The end result appears to be designed to whittle away the refund amount with each stage of production. So an unsatisfied author who pulls a book early, will probably not ever get a full refund.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.