• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fantasy Scroll Mag

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
I honestly think this is an oops, not a rights grab, but I am certainly not submitting to them again until they change it.

THIS is the terms of use for SUBMITTING to them:

If you do submit material, and unless we indicate otherwise, you grant FantasyScroll and its affiliates a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute and display such content throughout the world in any media now known or hereafter invented. You grant FantasyScroll and its affiliates the right to use the name you submit in connection with such content, if they so choose.

They do not specifically state otherwise in the submissions guidelines. I suppose a rejection could be taken as "stating otherwise."

Unfortunately, I submitted one story to them before spotting this. If I find they use it without payment I will change my opinion - I don't think they're actually doing this on purpose, but as it stands it at the very LEAST means they have your rights until they reject, and they could theoretically use your story without paying you.

Sigh.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Oh crap, I submitted a story to them today. Didn't see that. I hope they change it, because that really is very bad.

ETA: Glad to see it was a mistake!

Last edited:

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I think that clause is being lifted from a boilerplate contract online somewhere -- I've seen it from three different publishers now, and the other two have both removed it when queried about it.

Saskwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I submitted one to them as well. Has anyone queried the editor yet?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Don't get your knickers in a twist. Deep breath!

If they accept a story the writer can ask for changes in the contract before signing.

I sold a story to Ellery Queen and found their standard contract had clauses grabbing rights that I didn't want to let go. We struck those through, then I signed. They got a story; I got a check.

All contracts are negotiable. If you don't like a clause, get rid of it. If the publisher refuses, then that's a place you want to avoid.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. The Submissions page doesn't contain that language. Scroll down to the "Rights" section.

The language quoted is on the Terms and Conditions page under "Material You Submit."

I notice that they allow comments on their stories, and I wonder if this is what it covers rather than submissions for publication. At any rate, they need to be crystal clear about their policies.

iulianionescu

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone,

I apologize for that, but it was indeed an "oops". The respective sentence in the terms should've been removed and it is now removed. There is no intent for any kind of rights grab. As a matter of fact, any accepted story comes with a specific contract that supersedes any other kind of agreement. A sample of the contract will be posted in a day or two and I will link a copy here. You can see that the rights are very standard and there is no hokey-pokey.

Again, I am sorry for the confusion, that terms page was not updated before the site went live. A big oops, but it is fixed now.

Thank you and if you have any questions please write me directly at [email protected] and I will clear up any confusion.

Thank you!

Iulian Ionescu

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
Thank you. I really did think it was a mistake, but I wasn't sure, because there ARE bad actors out there. Sadly.

Gillhoughly, this wasn't at the contract stage. I'm very sensitive, perhaps over-sensitive, to rights grabs at the submissions level. There ARE magazines who try to take your rights and give them back when they reject.

Which is fine until they vanish off the face of the internet without actually having rejected it. (I have had magazines disappear without bothering to reject the stories I had with them before).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't published anything since '16. Some TW/FB activity. Anyone have recent contact?