How many self published books have you sold to date?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
ONLY 9,500 copies? Ha!

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Alright, quick amendment. Found out I'd made an error in my Kindle Unlimited calculations. From 2015 to now, I've only sold about 9500 copies.

Give me a month, should fix that if things stay to trend...

Only 9,500? You should just quit. Seriously, you're embarrassing yourself :p

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
140 since Oct. 10th for my first/only book, 'bout 6 months ago, an even split between kindle and paperback, strangely.

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
100+ copies effective today after nearly six months. It's going to be a long and painful process.

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dragonwriter, that is a fantastic number. Can I ask what do you do to promote your books?

Dragonwriter

Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlkingwriting.com
A combination of things--Facebook ads, Twitter (not as much these days), BookBub ads, and lately I've been trying some AMS (Amazon) ads to see how they go. The BookBubs were a huge help, numbers-wise. And the old adage about your next book being the best marketing tool has worked well for me. I've got 9 out now and the next one will be released in June.

That number is just Amazon, I realized - Smashwords only goes back 360 days, and there's another 3,000 or so in that period but since my first BookBub was before that, I suspect it's more like 5,000.

I need to stop coasting, though, since I've noticed my sales are down a bit over the past couple months. I need to refresh my ads, and I'm thinking about switching to Kindle Unlimited, as I've heard that's potentially more lucrative in my genre (urban fantasy) than wide.

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Dragonwriter. I will try BookBub when I get enough reviews. Amazon KDP advertising gets me a sale a day, but it was a lot of effort to get there. Royalties and KENP revenue exceeds the cost, so there is a small profit. What I really need to do is write more. Nine books is a fantastic effort. I only have two (totally different genres). I think I might try Facebook advertising too.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Bookbub don't necessarily have a minimum review requirement, so might as well start trying now. (I think I had seven reviews on Amazon and maybe 20 on Goodreads when I got mine.)

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting regarding Bookbub. I was under the impression it needed at least 10 reviews for consideration. I've just looked and it doesn't, so I will give them a try. Thanks for the advice.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've heard, it's a bit of a mystery how Book Bub goes about choosing books.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I've heard from various self-pub writers that BookBub is getting increasingly difficult to get into. Trade publishers are using it heavily now, so there are fewer slots and more competition.

Definitely try (always submit to new opportunities!) but keep your hopes tightly in check.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Bookbub is the perfect example of an advertising service that you should not rely on. It's the cherry on top of the marketing strategy that you can control.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Those aren't typical sales for a good trade publisher, andiwrite. It sounds like you were either very unlucky, or you signed with a rotten publisher. Either way, I'm so sorry you had such a poor experience.

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks andiwrite. Keep on trying. In the last week I dropped my price from about $3.70 to $2.99 on Amazon US. Straight away I saw an increase in sales. I managed 6 in one day, which is a record for me. Unfortunately, the KDP advertising is limited to Amazon US so I the adverts are only running on the US site. It would be great if I could have them run on the UK, AU and CAD sites. Also, the reviews seem to be regional. We just have to keep trying and most importantly, keep writing. Good luck.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Digitally speaking, my current numbers are (since my first release in August 2014):
Total sold: 11,562